yesbut

Apiary Diary July 2020

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Tell him to go be a plumber or drainlayer or electrician.

Don't, as the wheels fall of the economy late this year or next. Maybe counselor?  Definitely roading.

The economy is slow to fall follow.

Edited by Gino de Graaf

@jamesc sounds dire.  Soon a new month tho.

You have been speaking doom for your business for some time. 

Maybe accept the $4?? It's not what you want, but you want to work this year and bees need treatment and feeding.

And you've got plenty of stock. 

If you can accept that beekeeping is like gambling and variable, then the primo prices from yesteryear and then the $4 this year. The splits not bad?? 

Don't get me wrong .... we've got honey dribbling out the door ...... but it just seems that producing food has become a high risk business, and to be honest, the other half has run out of patience with all the paperwork, the procedures, the health and safety and the worry.

The bees are easy.  It's all the other garbage one has to deal with. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Don't, as the wheels fall of the economy late this year or next. Maybe counselor?  Definitely roading.

The economy is slow to fall follow.

Economy or no economy, drains still block, pipes burst, rats eat wiring & washing machines burn out. And old tradies die.

Edited by yesbut

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

If the market for Dew is limited, then please explain why during Covid lockdown the phone was red-hot with people wanting to buy Honey Dew

Did you sell your dew James

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Don't get me wrong .... we've got honey dribbling out the door ...... but it just seems that producing food has become a high risk business, and to be honest, the other half has run out of patience with all the paperwork, the procedures, the health and safety and the worry.

The bees are easy.  It's all the other garbage one has to deal with. 

I’ve gotta thought that could help, take it or leave it.. what about offering main man and his boy half your hives to run, there’s a few ways you could do that, one is obviously sell them to him.. the other half you run yourself.. simple life happy wife.. 

just an idea but I bet it would lighten your mental load a bit and chop your costs back a fair bit while ensuring you still get to puff smoke into beehives. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Did you sell your dew James

Yes .... the price is top secret ... but just goes to show local marketing man is pulling my plonka

12 hours ago, Stoney said:

I’ve gotta thought that could help, take it or leave it.. what about offering main man and his boy half your hives to run, there’s a few ways you could do that, one is obviously sell them to him.. the other half you run yourself.. simple life happy wife.. 

just an idea but I bet it would lighten your mental load a bit and chop your costs back a fair bit while ensuring you still get to puff smoke into beehives. 

I've had that thought .....but wouldn't want to put the pressure on main man. It's a steep learning curve waiting 18 months for  wages.

Edited by jamesc

I remember a few elections ago National campaigned on reducing the amount of bureaucrats and bureaucracy.  So I voted for them solidly.  The figures that they stated then were something like only 50% of the pop is in the workforce, and of that 50% of the 50% are telling the other 50% how to do things!  I think things have got worse.  It's  become insane.  If anyone wants to google and dispute what I have just typed - go for it - I don't have time.  

Attended a really enjoyable and large beekeeping gathering in South Canterbury the other day and the amount of bureaucracy (time & cost) is a major concern for people.  The other is, that the sole operator is getting squeezed out of the industry because of costs and it appears that corporates are the way of the future, as with other primary producing industries.   

The two most enjoyable beekeeping meetings & social gatherings that I have attended in the last few years have been James' & mine function in June, and the Beeswax function in South Canterbury the other day. 

• Like 3