Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

No more mechanic work unless it's a major. Boss airbag suspension in, took 2 hours to do the first side, an hour and a half for the second and if I was to do it again probly an hour😁 

Now just waiting on the fork lift to set up the click on dualies.

Tightening up the belt is hard but necessary, also reverted to pine needles as smoker fuel instead of buying 200$ worth of sacking, just means I gotta take 10 min a week to collect from my spots🤣

On another note only 2 mites out of 21 hives on my latest provap mission, apivar is finally doing its thing after I learnt a new trick.

20200708_111237.jpg

What a cute little helper 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a couple of pallets get washed away😮 Had to wait until the water went town to rescue them, highest it's been for years

Done 51 hives today, only one mite wash that came back with nill mites from a 350 bee sample then back home for a tutu on my new mean machine, just gotta set up the dualies then off for a test run, st

-4c outside... but I think we having HotDogs for linch.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

Oh pine needles ..... we always used to burn coffee sacks but then it got to be a bit of a mission tracking them down, and people started wanting folding  stuff for them ..... so now we pick up pine needles on the return trip from the long drop.

And I suspect the fumes are not as bad for the lungs as the hemp !

 

I like pine needles they burn well and smell great but they burn out far too quickly for me.  Hessian sacking for me, I get it from a coffee place and spread them out across the ground to age them for three or four months, bring them inside to dry.  They can burn for many hours.   I guess there are more coffee shops where I am than in the far North and the far South....

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CraBee said:

 

I like pine needles they burn well and smell great but they burn out far too quickly for me.  Hessian sacking for me, I get it from a coffee place and spread them out across the ground to age them for three or four months, bring them inside to dry.  They can burn for many hours.   I guess there are more coffee shops where I am than in the far North and the far South....

$4 a sack in Kaitaia, used to be 2 but everyone got into bees and the price went up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CraBee said:

 

I like pine needles they burn well and smell great but they burn out far too quickly for me.  Hessian sacking for me, I get it from a coffee place and spread them out across the ground to age them for three or four months, bring them inside to dry.  They can burn for many hours.   I guess there are more coffee shops where I am than in the far North and the far South....

I use jute sacks too and leave them outside for a few months.

I do not think you can get cheap hemp sacks yet .

I do not know how it burns .

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CraBee said:

 

I like pine needles they burn well and smell great but they burn out far too quickly for me.  Hessian sacking for me, I get it from a coffee place and spread them out across the ground to age them for three or four months, bring them inside to dry.  They can burn for many hours.   I guess there are more coffee shops where I am than in the far North and the far South....

I hate breathing in smoke and really dislike the smell of smoke from burning sacking material. I go out with the kids once or twice a year and collect bags of pine needles and these are all I use. The best place to collect pine needles is from large trees close to the beach where the soil is really sandy. You get a good thick layer of dry needles and there tends to be less contamination with other types of foliage (dry gorse is unpleasant to have in the mix). I have tried dry redwood foliage (we have lots of these growing close to home) but this is a little more difficult to get going. Where I grew up in the Bay of Plenty we used Cryptomeria foliage quite a lot.

I find a well lit smoker jam packed with pine needles lasts for a couple of hours. Does depend on how much it is used of course as more use means the fuel gets hotter and burns more quickly.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine needles are definitely my fuel of choice. Dry needles are great on days when you just need a little bit of smoke but I like to have one dry bag and one quite damp bag. Once the smoke is going well on dry needles then top up with damp needles and it will go for hours. Do not  use Maritime Pine, needles unless you want to work with a headache all day.

  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john berry said:

Pine needles are definitely my fuel of choice. Dry needles are great on days when you just need a little bit of smoke but I like to have one dry bag and one quite damp bag. Once the smoke is going well on dry needles then top up with damp needles and it will go for hours. Do not  use Maritime Pine, needles unless you want to work with a headache all day.

Maritime pine - looked it up, not a species I know... Not what I was referring to when in my previous post. The ones I use are radiata.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

A local farm in my area made 50 bucks after selling their wool🤣🤣 

Little bit of change from a box of beersies to drown the sorrow..... eh!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had some sun in the boondocks today.  Have just had to come in before my fingers dropped off with the cold while weeding the cauli & cabbage patch free of chickweed.  Haven't seen bees flying for weeks.  Although on sneak peek they all look very healthy in their hives.  

 

On another note, my next Sunday's queen cell tut at NZ Beeswax Hamilton has got some very interesting people attending.  Should be a good day.  Can still take bookings.  Just need to know so that Rhys knows which part of the building to set up.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 4:29 PM, Maggie James said:

Have just had to come in before my fingers dropped off with the cold while weeding the cauli & cabbage patch free of chickweed.  Haven't seen bees flying for weeks.  Although on sneak peek they all look very healthy in their hives.

I read somewhere about a californian beekeeper using refrigerated containers to over winter his bees to help manage varroa. No idea if that works but this sounds similar.

In contrast ours are flying and brood rearing and sitting on fresh nectar plus I would assume breeding mites at a terrifying rate unfortunately.

In preparation, I mixed up spring treatment OAG for gib tapes just yesterday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 4:29 PM, Maggie James said:

We had some sun in the boondocks today.  Have just had to come in before my fingers dropped off with the cold while weeding the cauli & cabbage patch free of chickweed.  Haven't seen bees flying for weeks.  Although on sneak peek they all look very healthy in their hives.  

 

On another note, my next Sunday's queen cell tut at NZ Beeswax Hamilton has got some very interesting people attending.  Should be a good day.  Can still take bookings.  Just need to know so that Rhys knows which part of the building to set up.  

correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember from your last tutorial .... is now the time to be giving the cell builders a bit of a syrup sweetener ...?

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jamesc said:

correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember from your last tutorial .... is now the time to be giving the cell builders a bit of a syrup sweetener ...?

Aye, aye James - your're on the money.  I need to get out & do likewise.  

 

Crikey bookings for Hamilton on Sunday brisk today.  Been up since 0630 today & haven't had brekkie yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...