• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a couple of pallets get washed away😮 Had to wait until the water went town to rescue them, highest it's been for years

Done 51 hives today, only one mite wash that came back with nill mites from a 350 bee sample then back home for a tutu on my new mean machine, just gotta set up the dualies then off for a test run, st

-4c outside... but I think we having HotDogs for linch.

Posted Images

UhHuh ..... lovely site of Manuka ..... we followed an old pack track after a mob of cows ..... don't think we'll get the 4x4 up there ..... but my mate with his Hughie might.

Little bit of adventure in the quiet time .... eh.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, yesbut said:

Trev seems to have slept in or something. Never mind.  Cooler today.

Nah.  Not asleep.  My wife and I are travelling around the country again.  In Bay of Plenty at present.

We have had a few days in Mt Maunganui and are now in Tauranga.  Not sure when we are heading home as we are just  winging it

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

In Bay of Plenty at present.

Isn't that getting perilously close to the Auckland suburb  of Tauranga ?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Mt Maunganui is very busy.

I have spent a few days in the Mount, killing time while bikes getting looked at. It's completely unfathomable to me the attraction of a place where you  have to fight for a cafe table.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 1
Posted (edited)

Best cafe fight I saw was not over a table, but a newspaper.

Lady was reading the paper, then got up to go order something else. While she was at the counter, another lady took the paper and starts reading it. First lady comes back and, no paper. She scopes around and sees the other lady reading it so goes up to her, tells her in a loud voice that she was incredibly rude, and demands the paper back. Second lady refuses. 

Loud standoff ensues, both ladies were obviously used to getting their own way and neither would back off. So the cafe owner intervenes, but no joy. So he says don't worry and he runs down the road to the dairy and buys another paper, comes in with it and gives it to the first lady.

But can you believe, she refuses it, saying it's the principle of the thing. She will accept nothing less than the other lady handing back THAT paper. Both these ladies were unable to be seen to back down, in any way. I cannot imagine what life would be like for either of the husbands 😲.

Eventually the lady who "stole" the paper got up and left, the other lady took that paper, and the other paper sat idle on the table. 🙄

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I am in Tauranga.  Pretty crappy place.  Main st has 1/2 the shops closed.  Very depressing.  Mt Maunganui is very busy.

We are visiting friends.

The mayor of Tauranga tv a few weeks ago saying that the CBD is dying because of Covid & hinting about some govt intervention.  To me the reality is that the CBD died sometime ago. My understanding is locals refused to pay high parking fees and small shops started moving out.  Then Farmers moved out to a suburb, and the shops that were left either followed or shut down.  

I like the Mount for shopping & I like the boardwalk.  Have they reopened the Mt walk yet?

The hot pool at Fernland is just one pool, v clean, surrounded by bush & has camping ground, and they give pensioner discount.    

• Agree 2
4 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I like the Mount for shopping & I like the boardwalk.  Have they reopened the Mt walk yet

Yes. Teresa managed to get right around on her travel scoot. Track is a bit rough. We could only manage to the water tank on the summit track

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, john berry said:

Day 10 of man flu . Had fun coughing all  night. Glad I don't have any beekeeping to do at the moment.

Have you had a covid test? Wasn't Napier one of the ports where boat workers were able to come and go freely for quite a while longer than perhaps was ideal?

Edit: more importantly, get better soon!

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Symptoms for covid are very similar to common cold symptoms except for covid having a dry cough. I along with half my friends have a wet cough which is not one of the symptoms fortunately.

I don't know why everybody is worrying about the foreign seamen, I'm sure they behave themselves impeccably and keep at least 2 m away from the ship girls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, john berry said:

Symptoms for covid are very similar to common cold symptoms except for covid having a dry cough.

In that case I've had covid at least three years

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, john berry said:

Symptoms for covid are very similar to common cold symptoms except for covid having a dry cough. I along with half my friends have a wet cough which is not one of the symptoms fortunately.

I don't know why everybody is worrying about the foreign seamen, I'm sure they behave themselves impeccably and keep at least 2 m away from the ship girls.

Dont take a test.

It may reflect badly on the govt if you are positive .

And Jacinda may not get re-elected.

And we can't have that .

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, jamesc said:

The quality is remembered long  after the price.

We bought some 'cheap' suits a few years ago. They lasted a week. 

I've only used my Catlins suit a half a dozen times but it seems to be up to standard with the Dean suits and it has a hive tool pocket on both sides

No more mechanic work unless it's a major. Boss airbag suspension in, took 2 hours to do the first side, an hour and a half for the second and if I was to do it again probly an hour😁 

Now just waiting on the fork lift to set up the click on dualies.

Tightening up the belt is hard but necessary, also reverted to pine needles as smoker fuel instead of buying 200$ worth of sacking, just means I gotta take 10 min a week to collect from my spots🤣

On another note only 2 mites out of 21 hives on my latest provap mission, apivar is finally doing its thing after I learnt a new trick.

20200708_111237.jpg

• Like 3

Oh pine needles ..... we always used to burn coffee sacks but then it got to be a bit of a mission tracking them down, and people started wanting folding  stuff for them ..... so now we pick up pine needles on the return trip from the long drop.

And I suspect the fumes are not as bad for the lungs as the hemp !

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

No more mechanic work unless it's a major. Boss airbag suspension in, took 2 hours to do the first side, an hour and a half for the second and if I was to do it again probly an hour😁 

Now just waiting on the fork lift to set up the click on dualies.

Tightening up the belt is hard but necessary, also reverted to pine needles as smoker fuel instead of buying 200$ worth of sacking, just means I gotta take 10 min a week to collect from my spots🤣

On another note only 2 mites out of 21 hives on my latest provap mission, apivar is finally doing its thing after I learnt a new trick.

20200708_111237.jpg

Are you going to share this new trick or is it a secret?

• Agree 1