Ok.... of things wax....couple of photos to get the talk happening.

I got the melting pot at a clearing sale for twenty bucks.

A local engineer charged me quite a bit more to water jacket it.

The result works well, but needs the wax drawing tap shifted a bit higher.

8DEE744A-3459-4A53-B694-9ACD7D156593.jpeg

26AD7B3F-77A3-4A6F-822E-D9433D891E15.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok.... of things wax....couple of photos to get the talk happening. I got the melting pot at a clearing sale for twenty bucks. A local engineer charged me quite a bit more to water jacket it

The sugars make the gutbacteria more efficient at utilizing low quality feed.

Posted Images

All the honey and wax slurry gets pumped through the Honey Hummer in the top photo. The Hummer hums away all day, separating honey and wax. The honey comes out with little or no wax and gets pumped into drums. The wax drops out the bottom into mutton cloth bags and popped into the melter at some stage or another.

The melter melts out the wax. Generally the first mould is Melter honey from residue honey in the wax, very dark and high in HMF . Melter honey is Non EU eligible .... so  is fed to cows and calves and converted into EU Elgible Beef.

It's a funny old world we live in 

My wax melter is a copy of a finlay melter with a few little changes to make it better. It cost about 4k about 15 years ago. There is quite a bit of time involved with refining beeswax and dealing with slumgum.

Bottom line is that at $7 /kg you have to pour off a lot of blocks  before you pay for your melter and wages and actually start to make a profit from wax.

12 minutes ago, jamesc said:

All the honey and wax slurry gets pumped through the Honey Hummer in the top photo. The Hummer hums away all day, separating honey and wax. The honey comes out with little or no wax and gets pumped into drums. The wax drops out the bottom into mutton cloth bags and popped into the melter at some stage or another.

The melter melts out the wax. Generally the first mould is Melter honey from residue honey in the wax, very dark and high in HMF . Melter honey is Non EU eligible .... so  is fed to cows and calves and converted into EU Elgible Beef.

It's a funny old world we live in 

How do you feed the burnt honey to the cows? A molasses feeder or some other way? I'm sure they love it but does it ever give them the squirts? 

1 hour ago, Daniel Benefield said:

How do you feed the burnt honey to the cows? A molasses feeder or some other way? I'm sure they love it but does it ever give them the squirts? 

The sugars make the gutbacteria more efficient at utilizing low quality feed.

5AFEB2C4-307B-460D-841A-8D1C48BB5E2E.jpeg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jamesc said:

A local engineer charged me quite a bit more to water jacket it.

The result works well, but needs the wax drawing tap shifted a bit higher.

great,

what are you using to heat the water is there a kettle element inside the water jacket?

moving the wax tap sounds like a major.

If the all up cost was $1k that sounds very cost effective, even if you spent a further $1k of your own time on it.