Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ok so i dont post here much but i have done lots of reading over the years .

during this covid break i had no work for a long period of time so had some time up my sleeve.

over the last few years ive developed a vaporiser for treating my bees here in new zealand i got sick of using a wand as it took to long

so developed a quick blow in system out of junk in my garage and a couple of parts from china. i re built it a few times during covid.

Then i decided to make 10 stainless steel units to sell to help make ends meet due to not having a job.

so here they are im hoping to sell them to people in the auckland end of nz so i can get feedback and discuss the operation of them.

If they work well i am thinking of setting up making them more often but need to see feedback first.

im looking at selling them for 800 each as they where quite a bit of work to make but they are fast treating the bees. and oxalic acid is cheap so i feel there worth it.

I had a friend who was using one of my older versions on his commercial operation (who wants to remain anonymous) and found that during the warmer months he would just use it to treat each apiary just after he worked it as a extra boost in conjunction with his strips and then he would do a full 3 hit treatment during mid winter and found that it helped keep the varroa down.

I only have 10 hives and i have never used strips in any of my hives, not for any major reason i just started with the vaporiser and haven't felt the strips where necessary.

 

here are picture's of the unit 

1159676968_20200615_154659(Medium).thumb.jpg.41a216ed1f8e33d06d500c6737a8a91b.jpg

 

102581790_20200615_154727(Medium).thumb.jpg.2070b7b973abecc78673ea7da248e0f9.jpg

 

and a video showing its operation

 

 

 

Accidentally i did leave out of the video the cleaning process. 

All i do to clean it is to poor water down into the chamber which melts any bits stuck inside and then poor it back out again. This also has the benefit of cooling down the device before putting it in the truck to go to the next spot.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks interesting . I'd be curious to put it to the test for a week ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have mesh pallet floors @jamesc take my word for it... you’ll need a way of blocking it. When I worked for James we vaped the whole outfit but found without blocking the floors was no good.. first we tried sacking to block them, but was slow so made up a piece of ply with a screwed on wedges on one end and would slide it under two hives on one end of pallet then place another wooden wedge under  it to secure it to the hive mesh, blocking it.

this unit I like because you can do 3 before a refil unlike the provap but the operating temps for vaping oxalic is also important so it’s not heated past 230deg.. 

is there a controller here to maintain the burner temp? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mesh .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have mesh floors and a vaporiser that pushes out a decent amount of vapor like the one shown you extend the nozzle and fit an elbow then just vaporise from below the mesh floor 

quick and effective , don't see a need to block anything. Not good for those plastic floors though.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, Stoney said:

If you have mesh pallet floors @jamesc take my word for it... you’ll need a way of blocking it. When I worked for James we vaped the whole outfit but found without blocking the floors was no good.. first we tried sacking to block them, but was slow so made up a piece of ply with a screwed on wedges on one end and would slide it under two hives on one end of pallet then place another wooden wedge under  it to secure it to the hive mesh, blocking it.

this unit I like because you can do 3 before a refil unlike the provap but the operating temps for vaping oxalic is also important so it’s not heated past 230deg.. 

is there a controller here to maintain the burner temp? 

The temp I have found stays low due to the water content in the oxalic acid as long as you load and vape strait away 

It's easy to see if the temp is no longer working as the colour and the quantity of vapour coming out changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 6:48 AM, jamesc said:

That looks interesting . I'd be curious to put it to the test for a week ......

Where are you if your near Auckland I have a demo one you can try out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bens bees said:

Where are you if your near Auckland I have a demo one you can try out

Check out James's location on his profile on the left !

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah .... quite close to Auckland ..... Nah .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, yesbut said:

Check out James's location on his profile on the left !

 

It's on the Internet - it must be true...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks cool @Bens bees

 

What are you selling the prototypes for? (I’m in chch, so not much good for a guinea pig...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...