The sound of the queen bee

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Queens I have anything to do with all make crunching sounds.

Scientists using highly sensitive vibration detectors have decoded honeybee queens' "tooting and quacking" duets in the hive. Worker bees make new queens by sealing eggs inside special cells with

I saw this "news item" and wondered what was new. I used "tooting and quacking" when I was a hobby beekeeper back in Holland almost 50 years ago. When the virgins were about to emerge, I listened in t

Scientists using highly sensitive vibration detectors have decoded honeybee queens' "tooting and quacking" duets in the hive.

Worker bees make new queens by sealing eggs inside special cells with wax and feeding them royal jelly.

The queens quack when ready to emerge - but if two are free at the same time, they will fight to the death.

So when one hatches, its quacks turn to toots, telling the workers to keep the others - still quacking - captive

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53029218

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grant said:

Scientists in the UK are working to find out more about the behaviour of bee colonies after recording bizarre noises made by the queen bee

I saw this "news item" and wondered what was new. I used "tooting and quacking" when I was a hobby beekeeper back in Holland almost 50 years ago. When the virgins were about to emerge, I listened in the evening if the first one had emerged and if so, opened the hive the next morning to control possible swarming. My dad used it as well, much longer ago; don't know what is new about it. Have wondered why hobby beekeepers here in NZ don't used it.

• Agree 2