Posted (edited)

I’ve been having a think about setting a shipping container up at home for storage of some of our honey and for growing some Manuka out. 

Thinking of setting it up with an extractor fan for helping to maintain growing temp during the hotter months and panel heaters for colder months. 

It costs just Over $100 per drum per month to grow out manuka at the extraction plant we use which is just down the road from us. 

What sort of set ups do the smaller sized operations have around the country and what has worked well or failed miserably for you? 

Obviously will still have a couple of audits per year for storage RMP plus the application fees.. wondering if it’s worth the paperwork/costs.. feedback welcome.. 

Edited by Stoney

short answer

NO

as soon as you get a rmp you will hate the government  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, nab said:

short answer

NO

as soon as you get a rmp you will hate the government  

@Trevor Gillbanks already hates the govt. so much he might get one for free and give it to @Stoney 😆

Edited by yesbut

25 minutes ago, yesbut said:

@Trevor Gillbanks already hates the govt. so much he might get one for free and give it to @Stoney 😆

Well, put it this way.

I am not silly enough to pay over $100/month/drum for RMP storage. 

Just to clarify.. $100 per drum per month is to have that drum sitting in the hot room to grow... 

storage... well that’s about $7.00 

but yes  @Trevor Gillbanks , Maybe silly is the word to use . 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Just to clarify.. $100 per drum per month is to have that drum sitting in the hot room to grow... 

storage... well that’s about $7.00 

but yes  @Trevor Gillbanks , Maybe silly is the word to use . 

Sorry,  not trying to be personal with my comment.

I guess you have done the sums to make it viable.  I hope you have a buyer lined up.

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I hope you have a buyer lined up.

Best wishes.

lol haven’t you heard ...there’s a Manuka boom on right now, honey is flying off the shelves according to NZ media 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

lol haven’t you heard ...there’s a Manuka boom on right now, honey is flying off the shelves according to NZ media 

Yes,  Sorry.  My bad.  

23 hours ago, Stoney said:

I’ve been having a think about setting a shipping container up at home for storage of some of our honey and for growing some Manuka out. 

Thinking of setting it up with an extractor fan for helping to maintain growing temp during the hotter months and panel heaters for colder months. 

It costs just Over $100 per drum per month to grow out manuka at the extraction plant we use which is just down the road from us. 

What sort of set ups do the smaller sized operations have around the country and what has worked well or failed miserably for you? 

Obviously will still have a couple of audits per year for storage RMP plus the application fees.. wondering if it’s worth the paperwork/costs.. feedback welcome.. 

if you lined the walls with cheap polystyrene sheet it would help with heating bills.

you can get 6 "  replacement fans for heat transfer systems from mitre 10 for $100.  they work as extractor fans.

• Thanks 1

Manuka Honey Boom ? well thats what the man from Api nz said on the country channel  a couple months back, he said the packers stock were getting low and they were now looking to restock , all the white honey from canty was sold, things are looking up for beekeepers, Just what my farmers wanted to hear "you back in the money boy, where"s my share".

unfortunately there share is still sitting in my shed along with my share, and I am still wondering where this new sales boom went

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

stoney, if you go down the storage rmp route don"t forget you will probably have 3 audits to pay for in the first year, that will more than take care of any savings you make from having your own rmp.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Remember you do not need permits for anything under 30sq mtrs now .

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

But they may still have to be designed & built/supervised by licensed people.

54 minutes ago, yesbut said:

But they may still have to be designed & built/supervised by licensed people.

I thought they only had to be built to bulding code standard .

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

That has nothing to do with the RMP permit that @olbe is talking about.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, olbe said:

Manuka Honey Boom ? well thats what the man from Api nz said on the country channel  a couple months back, he said the packers stock were getting low and they were now looking to restock , all the white honey from canty was sold, things are looking up for beekeepers, Just what my farmers wanted to hear "you back in the money boy, where"s my share".

unfortunately there share is still sitting in my shed along with my share, and I am still wondering where this new sales boom went

what man?

• Like 1

$100 bucks a drum a month..... you might be better off to set up a storage facility and get on the gravy train.

Dennis, it was the face of the bee industry group

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, olbe said:

Dennis, it was the face of the bee industry group

Sorry, none the wiser as to who you mean. If you had a name or a link to the article that would be good.

Edited by Mummzie
hat = that

Dennis, I honestly cannot think of the guys name but I"m sure you would know who headed up the BIG before and after the apinz formation.

Karin Kos was on the same programme  about a week later

Posted (edited)

Hi ... If you send us your email address (removed- see profile for address) we will send you our information pack.  We professionally store and quality-control honey for beekeepers across NZ at extremely competitive rates.  Allowing Beekeepers to be Beekeepers!

Edited by Mummzie
removed email address
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hello @Manuka Orchard 

Welcome to the forum.

I have copied below the forum guidelines to explain why your email address has been removed from your post.

Please make  sure your email address is in your profile.

The registration terms are: "We reserve the rights to remove or modify any messages posted for any reason." Moderators will remove email contact, website contact or phone numbers from forum posts. Business contacts can be stored in your profile.

Edited by Mummzie