jamesc

Marketing and selling honey

@jamesc  You need to dream up a new name, there is already a "The Honey Collective Ltd", in Foxton.  And the forum owner would rather you  kept expressions of interest/discussions on forum rather than diverting to private. 

Posted (edited)

I was looking for a post from @Dennis Crowley about the @ApiNZ Science & Research budget for marketing honey , but could'nt find it , so jumped back in here.

I was thinking about the marketing spiel that AIPNZ are putting together .... and no doubt they have thought through the whole process .

Have they primed the producers and wannabe producers  to be ready with product to hit the shelves when the Tsunami of sales orders come flowing through ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jamesc said:

I was looking for a post from @Dennis Crowley about the @ApiNZ Science & Research budget for marketing honey , but could'nt find it , so jumped back in here.

I was thinking about the marketing spiel that AIPNZ are putting together .... and no doubt they have thought through the whole process .

Have they primed the producers and wannabe producers  to be ready with product to hit the shelves when the Tsunami of sales orders come flowing through ?

Yeah right !!!!

Pics have sent their first load of honey to china.

rata and clover.

the whiter the better for the Chinese market.

if the chinese get a taste for rata honey it will be good for all coast beeks.

i remember when i worked in the packing shed that i learnt that the Asian market like sweet sugar ball apples like fuji.

the braeburn went to germany

and the english still ate sturmers.  however that market was dying off.  literally.

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Pics have sent their first load of honey to china.

rata and clover.

the whiter the better for the Chinese market.

if the chinese get a taste for rata honey it will be good for all coast beeks.

i remember when i worked in the packing shed that i learnt that the Asian market like sweet sugar ball apples like fuji.

the braeburn went to germany

and the english still ate sturmers.  however that market was dying off.  literally.

sturmer are yuk too sour for me.

my favourite apple was golden delicious but it had to be a light green not quite ripe.

they were awesome picked straight off the tree on the walk to the school bus.

If you banged them on your knee multiple times while sitting in the bus you could suck all the juice out :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

sturmer are yuk too sour for me. 

Before these new varieties and modern controlled atmosphere storage, the sturmer was the last apple to be released onto the market by the then NZ Apple & Pear Marketing Board.  They were good keepers and even when they became wrinkled and soft, they were still good to eat, not like the varieties that are available now that go brown and floury if left out of the fridge for too long. 

• Like 2

Haha I dont care how well they kept They are still yuk .

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Haha I dont care how well they kept They are still yuk .

Great for chutney and pies though.

Golden delicious bruise very easy.   my dad said they were never allowed to be picked till after 10am and they had firmed up .

Pink lady are the same , goldens are one of their parents .

Posted (edited)

Please...if you want to talk about apples, start a new thread or chatter in the monthly diary.

These posts should be split off so @jamesc topic can remain about getting honey sold.... but then the complaints start......

Edited by Mummzie
  • Agree 1

Ah no ... apples are good... we might learn something about the rise and fall of marketing programs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Ah no ... apples are good... we might learn something about the rise and fall of marketing programs

after 8 yrs in the packing shed i learnt alot about marketing.

the sellers used to come to the shed and inspect the crop .

they were always happy to chat about what was happening as they walked around.

a cultural palate for for a particular taste applies across many foods.

i was not surprised to hear it was clover and rata going into china.

if manuka was not medicinal i do not think the Chinese would eat it.

How are the responses going @jamesc ?

I'd be interested to hear of you manage to crack it.

Good things take time @Grant .....   Of course we can do it .....  I am very confident of that ..... it's just a bummer that our wings have been clipped a little with Covid.

• Like 2