Otto

Sending honey overseas?

A friend asked me a while back for some comb honey to send to family in Israel. I queried whether there were any issues getting things into Israel but she assured me there aren't. She went to send her parcel and was flatly told you are not allowed to send honey overseas. Did a quick search and found:

mpi-socialmedia-placeholder-biosec.jpg
WWW.MPI.GOVT.NZ

<p>Honey is an animal product, and only registered exporters can send animal products out of New Zealand even if it’s a gift or for personal use.</p>

Appears that this is indeed the rule (need to be a registered exporter to send ANY quantity of honey overseas). It wasn't one I was aware of previously so I am wondering if this is a new thing? Would appreciate some feedback from people that know. 

BK's need to be registered with MPI if you want to export honey.  It has been in for about three years.  If you have honey extracted and then sell it, and you haven't paid the $150ish? then the honey is not eligible for export.  Your registration number needs to go on any harvest declaration.  If you have an RMP to store honey, or extract and process etc, then you don't need to register - as it is covered under your RMP.   

I've had a good look through NZ Post and NZ Customs and I can't see anything that restricts personal export of honey, so I'm going to want to see the Regulations to settle the question. Nor do I see the logic of such a restriction. Commercial exports are of course a different matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I posted some honey to an nz address  this morning and was told new rules came out this week that nz post will now not accept any honey for sending overseas. 

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

A friend asked me a while back for some comb honey to send to family in Israel. I queried whether there were any issues getting things into Israel but she assured me there aren't. She went to send her parcel and was flatly told you are not allowed to send honey overseas. Did a quick search and found:

WWW.MPI.GOVT.NZ

<p>Honey is an animal product, and only registered exporters can send animal products out of New Zealand even if it’s a gift or for personal use.</p>

Appears that this is indeed the rule (need to be a registered exporter to send ANY quantity of honey overseas). It wasn't one I was aware of previously so I am wondering if this is a new thing? Would appreciate some feedback from people that know. 

So all these Chinese people who bought honey from the supermarket to sell in their home country are exporters as mentioned? I do not think so.

• Agree 1

I have always taken comb honey with me (not to Australia) when travelling to Europe and have never had any problems. What is the difference between carrying it in your luggage and sending it by mail.

There are a lot of bureaucrats in New Zealand that would benefit from having to work for a living.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, john berry said:

What is the difference between carrying it in your luggage and sending it by mail.

This is the bit that get me too. You can take it with you in your luggage but sending is not allowed. 

3 hours ago, Otto said:

WWW.MPI.GOVT.NZ

It will be interesting to see APINZ take on this seeing as they are supposed to represent N.Z beekeepers

1 hour ago, Otto said:

This is the bit that get me too. You can take it with you in your luggage but sending is not allowed. 

I was told that if you have a RMP you are required to prepare an Edoc for every separate order of honey you send overseas....

• Sad 1

Oh .... so what happens when I want to send a container load .....

21 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oh .... so what happens when I want to send a container load .....

You have an RMP so you are covered by that.

Why did we not receive any email regarding this change? Any thoughts?

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Bighands said:

It will be interesting to see APINZ take on this seeing as they are supposed to represent N.Z beekeepers

Glad you see that we do bighands,

MPI are just being MPI and they have a set of regulations that they say we must all obey.

Post NZ now have decided to fellow the MPI rules and not leave it up to individual staff to decide on whether to let you post those couple of little jars.

Two bureaucratic organisations doing what they do. 

APINZ has been chatting in the background with MPI and NZ POST around these smaller parcel type situations. 

We think there is may be some scope for change, will let you know more as we have it.  

Covid has put a few things on hold or delayed things so be patient.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Post NZ now have decided to fellow the MPI rules and not leave it up to individual staff to decide on whether to let you post those couple of little jars.

I have noticed in the last few weeks quite a major change in NZ Post attitudes, and it is not just related to honey.  Doesn't matter what you what to send in their red envelopes you get interrogated. It does not seem to be the fault of the person behind the counter; they just appear to be following policy which seems to be getting quite anal.  I thought couriers were they way of the future because of the cost, but the way NZ Post are acting it's like they don't want business.  Honey can't be posted, food wraps dipped in beeswax seem to be a no no.  Jewelry despite it being plastic beads with a value of a couple of dollars has to be on track & trace.  There is a drama when you try to send photos, they don't want originals.  I sent some empty brass cartridges the other day, and when I was asked what they were I said costume jewellery, cos I was fairly certain if I said cartridges they wouldn't accept them.  

The options are that people look for another courier service, and that's not always easy in a smaller town when not all couriers come every day, but it might be a darned sight easier than the current interrogation, drama and refusal.  Not knowing the options for those sending overseas, this could be an issue.

I would have thought in terms of honey, the fact that it had been produced in a registered apiary, extracted & processed under an RMP and the labels fulfilled all the legal requirements that this would be enough.  

So yes, if there is going to be change with improvement in Orwellian NZ Post services provided domestically & internationally, those of us living in the boondocks without multiple providers would be utterly relieved & grateful to hear about it.  Thanks.  

Edited by Maggie James

Trademe's courier service is excellent....you have to be registered with TMe, but a courier call isn't tied into a transaction

• Good Info 1

Ive sent off two honey samples in the last month or so to Analytica,these were in empty kina containers and sealed with brown paper tape,then sent in red courier bag.No questions were asked.Only one sample came up with a viable npa reading!

On 6/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, CraBee said:

I was told that if you have a RMP you are required to prepare an Edoc for every separate order of honey you send overseas....

An E cert

On 6/20/2020 at 4:13 PM, Phil46 said:

Ive sent off two honey samples in the last month or so to Analytica,these were in empty kina containers and sealed with brown paper tape,then sent in red courier bag.No questions were asked.Only one sample came up with a viable npa reading!

Too much Kina .....😔

• Like 1