NickWallingford

Levy year for the Pest Management Plan

Since the Biosecurity (American Foulbrood—Beekeeper Levy) Order 2003 was first put into place, it defined 'levy year' as the year preceding a levy payment.  'Levy year' is the in which someone had beehives, and had to pay a levy.  Levy year looks 'back'...

Beekeepers, almost as soon as that levy order came into place, reverted to talking about 'operational years' and 'budget years' - the time *after* the (legislatively defined) levy year.  Beekeepers, naturally, were naturally forward looking - the spending of the levy.

But contrary to some things I've heard, this levy has never been collected 'into the future'.  It has only been collected for the levy year, the year before the levy payment.

24 minutes ago, NickWallingford said:

But contrary to some things I've heard, this levy has never been collected 'into the future'.  It has only been collected for the levy year, the year before the levy payment.

Exactly like terminal tax !

On 6/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, NickWallingford said:

Since the Biosecurity (American Foulbrood—Beekeeper Levy) Order 2003 was first put into place, it defined 'levy year' as the year preceding a levy payment.  'Levy year' is the in which someone had beehives, and had to pay a levy.  Levy year looks 'back'...

Beekeepers, almost as soon as that levy order came into place, reverted to talking about 'operational years' and 'budget years' - the time *after* the (legislatively defined) levy year.  Beekeepers, naturally, were naturally forward looking - the spending of the levy.

I'm a bit confused by all the politicking of this issue. I don't dispute what you wrote, but can it be explained in simpler terms?

Does it really matter what year it applies to? Am I a bad person to say "who cares"?

As I understand it the Levy is struck at midnight on March 31st according to my apiweb holdings; which are of course up to date.

If I sell all my hives on March 30th, I won't be liable. If I sell all my hives on April 1st, I will be liable. Pretty simple (?).

Thus, the Levy year is a fuss we don't need to have, and changing the longstanding wording of invoices is apparently fixing something that wasn't broken (?).

Or can someone explain what was broken?

Is there a requirement for government agencies to avoid gobbledegook? I have to say the AFBNPMP acronym seems to gain a letter every now and then, does anyone else watch 8 out of 10 cats countdown, I think we should choose a vowel next? But overall gobbledegook has been much reduced in the last 24 months with some plain speaking emails from the agency (thank you, much appreciated). In this great debate about Levy Year, we seem to have lurched back into unintelligible double speak..

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I'm a bit confused by all the politicking of this issue. I don't dispute what you wrote, but can it be explained in simpler terms?

Does it really matter what year it applies to? Am I a bad person to say "who cares"?

As I understand it the Levy is struck at midnight on March 31st according to my apiweb holdings; which are of course up to date.

If I sell all my hives on March 30th, I won't be liable. If I sell all my hives on April 1st, I will be liable. Pretty simple (?).

Thus, the Levy year is a fuss we don't need to have, and changing the longstanding wording of invoices is apparently fixing something that wasn't broken (?).

Or can someone explain what was broken?

Is there a requirement for government agencies to avoid gobbledegook? I have to say the AFBNPMP acronym seems to gain a letter every now and then, does anyone else watch 8 out of 10 cats countdown, I think we should choose a vowel next? But overall gobbledegook has been much reduced in the last 24 months with some plain speaking emails from the agency (thank you, much appreciated). In this great debate about Levy Year, we seem to have lurched back into unintelligible double speak..

The change to what year the levy is hasn't changed anything for the beekeepers, what you have on the 31st March you are charged for and have to pay by the 1st June.

In simple terms the change to wording around the year brings it inline with all the other levies to mean the levy is for the year you are in, rather than as was before where it was for half of one year and half another. But no change to beekeeper requirements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

First thing is that as Dennis is a Api rep and Api run the AFB PMP . There for  Dennis is speaking for Api and hence the AFB board

Next thing Please read the levy order and you will fined a few things stuffed up.  To me the main thing that jumps out is the start date of the levy.  Clearly states the hive levy year starts in the 2019/2020 year.  But the thing is you have already paid for the 2019/2020 year  . So you only need to pay the difference between the bills.   Now the AFB people will always say "we must follow what the law says"   If you ask about the double billing you will get a threatening reply.   The Invoice has no levy year on it but the levy order talks about levy years.

I wrote a letter to MPI asking about the levy year.  Got a reply fill of waffle but id did contain the word confusion

So my take is that there are mistakes in the levy order,  Dennis is trying to cover them up to ensure they receive money to run the AFB PMP.   NZ beekeeping inc lawyers (who are seldom wrong where Api lawyers are often wrong) also believe the levy order is faulty(I base this on there news letters)

31 minutes ago, morporks said:

Next thing Please read the levy order and you will fined a few things stuffed up.  To me the main thing that jumps out is the start date of the levy.  Clearly states the hive levy year starts in the 2019/2020 year.  But the thing is you have already paid for the 2019/2020 year  .

A levy year has four elements in the Order:

• A calculation date - just as referred to by @ChrisM above.  The Order states it to be 31 March.
  • A start date - the 1 June that precedes the calculation date.  Note it is in a different calendar year, but that is the 'start' of the levy year.
  • A finish date - the 31 May that follows the calculation date.
  • A levy due date - on or by 1 June, the first day of the *next* levy year, effectively the same as the end of 'this' levy year.

Every levy year has a calculation date 'inside' it.  So if you want to know which levy year applies, simply look to the calculation date.  So a calculation date of 31 Mar 2020 would mean 1 June 2019 would be the start, 31 May 2020 would be the finish, and 1 June 2020 would be the final levy due date.

You said "But the thing is you have already paid for the 2019/2020 year."  Presumably, you mean the levy that was paid last year, with final due date of 1 June 2019.  Working through the process above, it is clear that payment related to the calculation date of 31 March 2019.  And that levy year was 2018/2019.

The definition of a levy year, and the dates described above, have not changed since the Order first came into place 17 years ago.  The levy year has always been 'backward' looking. 

Beekeepers have throughout that time, seemingly, continued to refer to the levy year as being the year following the collection of the levy.  That will be the 'expenditure year', it will be the 'budget year' and it is the 'operational year'.  But the levy year is as it always has been in the Order.

The levy order came into place in Nov 2003, and there was a quick, part year, levy demand that brought the dates into line for the levy order.  The first full year of levy collection came in early 2004.  It used 31 March 2004 as the calculation date, and was due for payment on 1 June 2004.

Every year after that, for nearly 20 years now, 31 March has been the calculation date, and the levy paid on the following 1 June.  That has been the model for all that time: 31 March levy calculation date, beginning of levy year 1 June of the previous calendar year, end of levy year and collection date 31 May. 

But I'd have to ask...  Do you, as a beekeeper, think that if you don't pay a levy to be used in the coming year, and the PMP does not operate for a year, that the beekeeping industry will be a better place to be?  I think this is a predictable distraction to what is important to make for better beekeeping.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, morporks said:

First thing is that as Dennis is a Api rep and Api run the AFB PMP . There for  Dennis is speaking for Api and hence the AFB board

Next thing Please read the levy order and you will fined a few things stuffed up.  To me the main thing that jumps out is the start date of the levy.  Clearly states the hive levy year starts in the 2019/2020 year.  But the thing is you have already paid for the 2019/2020 year  . So you only need to pay the difference between the bills.   Now the AFB people will always say "we must follow what the law says"   If you ask about the double billing you will get a threatening reply.   The Invoice has no levy year on it but the levy order talks about levy years.

I wrote a letter to MPI asking about the levy year.  Got a reply fill of waffle but id did contain the word confusion

So my take is that there are mistakes in the levy order,  Dennis is trying to cover them up to ensure they receive money to run the AFB PMP.   NZ beekeeping inc lawyers (who are seldom wrong where Api lawyers are often wrong) also believe the levy order is faulty(I base this on there news letters)

No Dennis was speaking as Dennis Crowley beekeeper, I do not speak for the AFB Board as I am not on that board and they are an independent board, which you clearly know that.

I was giving general advice from a beekeepers eye. If I give a post from the APINZ Board I will let people know that this is coming from the board.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, morporks said:

lets value the contribution made here by Dennis, and a public forum is not the place to make accusations- especially incorrect ones

So how do we stand I wonder.

We went through and counted up all hives on sites when we put strips in.

i changed our numbers accordingly on the 31st and adjusted our payment due to reflect the decrease in numbers .

payment was made on the due date. 

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

So how do we stand I wonder.

We went through and counted up all hives on sites when we put strips in.

i changed our numbers accordingly on the 31st and adjusted our payment due to reflect the decrease in numbers .

payment was made on the due date. 

That's it, what you have on the 31st March is what your payment is based on due 1st June.

And 1st June 2021 you will pay based on what you have on 31 March 2021

Same as last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...............

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

That's it, what you have on the 31st March is what your payment is based on due 1st June.

And 1st June 2021 you will pay based on what you have on 31 March 2021

Same as last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...............

actually I’ve stuffed up .

i changed our numbers on the 31st of May and paid on the first of June.

im going to leave it as is because I don’t want to have to pay for hives we haven’t got even though I tallied it up late.

• Agree 1