I am soliciting opinions on the the best bee veils.

I was planning to do this investigation at this year's conference but that ain't going to happen.

I know it's hard to get beekeepers to agree on anything apart from the really obvious things like the best smoker (stainless steel 4 inch Dadant) or hive tools (my own hand forged ones obviously) but I would like some opinions on currently available bee veils..

My current ones are an older model Ecroyd and while they are not perfect they are very good and have lasted for many years but  alas they are almost worn out.

I prefer a jacket type over a full suit as I hate sitting in sticky gear and always remove my veil when in a vehicle. I find  removable hoods useful but only when it comes to washing and I like a hood that  protects me from the sun as well as bees. A couple of years ago I asked for advice on ventilated suits and should have listened. There is nothing wrong with how my one is made and its function but it is heavy and is like wearing a plastic pot scrubber against the skin, definitely not one to go commando in. I'm not too worried about price and will happily pay three times as much for one that's three times as good. I also have a preference for khaki over white but now I do very little night shifting I guess that's not so important.

Sun proof, rain proof, bee proof,durable, easily washable , Khaki and doesn't fall back on your face allowing bees to sting you on the nose as mine is quite big enough already.Someone out there must have one that meets at least most of these requirements.

As a special first of June challenge can we please not go off topic for at least five posts.  Thank you all in anticipation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i've only got one jacket-veil suit. The label says "Bee Accessories - Auckland, New Zealand". I like it, but prefer full suits.

i've included a pic in case that's any use

bee_jacket.PNG

• Like 1

I have a two dollar shop red cowboy hat that used to have batteries in it that lit up a crown on the front ....and a home made viel made from some very lightweight black mesh that I think came from Spotlight. 

Whole rig cost about four bucks.

Overalls ..... flourotop to conform to H&S ....   or just my blue jeans and T.

Only another two posts and we can go off topic !

i prefer the mesh singlet type (aka bra ;) )

single zip with tag. those cover the zip end types never work well.

use to use the fold up types but visibility is rather restricted. the "forklift" type is better especially when bees are buzzin and you need to use the forklift.

the one i have at the moment i don't like as it tends to push your head forward. good when working on hives, pain in the neck when your walking etc.

53 minutes ago, tristan said:

Photo ?😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, john berry said:

Sun proof, rain proof, bee proof,durable, easily washable , Khaki and doesn't fall back on your face allowing bees to sting you on the nose as mine is quite big enough already.Someone out there must have one that meets at least most of these. 

I’ve always thought making one from gortex would be good. I just can’t find where to buy it. 

1 hour ago, tristan said:

8 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Photo ?😁

This moderator is gonna pre-emptively draw the line at any image of tristan in a bra. This is a family friendly forum.

• Like 2

Not much help from me John. 

Been wearing white Ecrotec full suit for a few years. I did use Ceracell, but didn't like the loose fit due to large veil. I like the full suit because it keeps me clean underneath! 

I’m another ecrotek wearer, have both full and half suits and whenever I can have my old wide hat and veil. 

Anyone wearing a Sherrif suit? Always liked the look of them but never sampled one. 

@john berry what brand vented suit do you have? Any issues other than the sandpaper feel? 

Pouring down at the moment (thank goodness at last). Will check the brand in the morning for you. It's nice and cool if there is a bit of a breeze but it doesn't soak up sweat so there is little or no cooling by evaporation. If there is a bit of a breeze then I don't get too hot in my standard veil anyway.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

Photo ?😁

53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

This moderator is gonna pre-emptively draw the line at any image of tristan in a bra. This is a family friendly forum.

what? men need support too 🤣

https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/Images/Assets/52994/10/

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-45lmxwliax/images/stencil/550x550/products/972/605/OVR4879-2__08171.1533004931.png?c=2

these ones are quite long. the ones i have at the mo are like a crop top.

we nick named them "bras"  .........guys in bras :) 

Edited by tristan
  • Haha 1

Tristan,, I used to occasionally wear an old version of that with a pith helmet and short ventilated top that tied under your armpits. It was known as a suicide veil which given the bees at the time wasn't far from the truth on a bad day.

I guess I should get something like you have for those really hot days but I hate being sticky and in general would much rather be a bit hot than stick to everything I touch including myself.

I also have a confession to make here. I am mildly allergic to honey on my skin and get a burning itching rash from prolonged contact.

For those of you who think I must be a bit soft to react to my own product that way, put a bit of honey on a smooth concrete floor, cover it and leave it for a few weeks and you might be surprised what honey will do.

• Agree 1

My bee suit has had it , its a full suit .

Any recomendations for a new one .

Bearing in mind I have the hood down a lot , but like to be able to easily put it up if the bees are towy.

I like wearing solid hat and veil. A square veil mesh usually, tied via cord. Nice breeze and talking and listening a lot better.

Some I see wear the cloth veil, and elastic, which can be pulled down around neck and up over rim of hat.

Or entirely lifted up onto rim of hat.

Which must be awkward.

Veil and hat aren't practical. Taking on and off slow and the hat hard to stow. 

I do have an emergency veil.  A nice light material mesh and draw string. Though wearing it in wind leads to mesh on face and stings. 

• Like 1

I would like a cooler bee suit.   Wearing the full suit when necessary, with the zip hood in summer on the nor west Canty Plains it's just too hot. I found the last two seasons with extreme hot weather exhausting.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I would like a cooler bee suit.   Wearing the full suit when necessary, with the zip hood in summer on the nor west Canty Plains it's just too hot. I found the last two seasons with extreme hot weather exhausting.  

Luckily extreme heat is never much of a problem here .

And being a hobbyist you are not forced to check hives in unpleasant weather .

12 hours ago, Stoney said:

I’m another ecrotek wearer, have both full and half suits and whenever I can have my old wide hat and veil. 

Anyone wearing a Sherrif suit? Always liked the look of them but never sampled one. 

@john berry what brand vented suit do you have? Any issues other than the sandpaper feel? 

I had a sherrif. The zips are crap and needed replacing in the first month or so. After that is was really good, it lasted about 4 years until the veil fabric split.  They are lighter weight than the ecrotec ones which I use. For the price difference although I’d love another sherif, I’ve never re ordered one. 

• Good Info 1

Just now, nikki watts said:

They are lighter weight than the ecrotec ones which I use. For the price difference although I’d love another sherif, I’ve never re ordered one. 

Thanks Nikki.. great feedback.. and 17 replies and still on topic.. hold the line... 

Id like a beesuit that doesn’t shrink each winter. I’ve had to go up a whole size after lockdown ! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

who stocks sherrif in nz?  will need to inspect these sometime.  they sound a bit cooler than the heavy cotton.  are they warmer in wet weather.  I find that cotton gets very heavy & cold in wet weather, and when I do work in wet weather I know I have to have things pretty streamlined to avoid heavy cold overalls

12 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Thanks Nikki.. great feedback.. and 17 replies and still on topic.. hold the line...

Do you press a button that gives an automatic count, or do you scroll down & count ea post

The first full suit I bought from Stuart Ecroyd had valcro openings on either side so you could open it to get access your trouser pockets etc, it also had the best feature of all a "Boys zip"

(double ended) so you can have a bush pee with minimum exposure these were removed probably to save costs.

When I buy a new pair I pay a friend with honey to modify them 

Pete

• Like 4

There needs to be a bee suit designed for girls.  Gorse bushes wearing a full suit & "lid" can be tricky things

9 minutes ago, Maggie James said:
25 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Do you press a button that gives an automatic count, or do you scroll down & count ea post

Silly me, I have just worked it out!  Better have another cuppa

• Haha 1

I have just checked my ventilated suit and as far as I can see there is no name on it at all.

I will still get four or five new veils but I might also get a couple of those light bra types for those really hot days in summer and perhaps wear a cotton apron when taking off honey so I don't get too sticky.

19 hours ago, john berry said:

Sun proof, rain proof, bee proof,durable, easily washable , Khaki and doesn't fall back on your face allowing bees to sting you on the nose

John, that sounds like a vehicle where the boss yells instructions to his minions out a very small slit with the window wound down.

This actually happened when we were checking how far varroa had spread in the Bay, a couple of beek's went out with a big name beek here in the Bay. 

It was raining and the Boss Beek didn't want to get wet.

I use ecyroyd, full suit or half with folding hood, but used to use sheriff, but price was the reason for change. In the middle of summer when hot n sunny i sometimes use hard hat with veil to get air flow over my head and keep sun off my face.

• Like 2