Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, ChrisM said:

are you sure about this? All the examples I have come across are for far less. 

Not sure .... got this as second hand info off facebook ..... I just put it out there .....  

But ... we all know the rules ..... believe 90% of what you see, 50% of what you read ..... and about the same of what you hear.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally my boys big enough to help do a job😁 one less thing for me to do, he smokes my hive I'm working then moves ahead of me smoking and he's really keen too, proud daddy moment

Maggie came up today to prep for her queen raising tutorial ....to be followed by a get together with whoever feels the urge to come out and chew the fat over some wild pork slow cooked on the spit.

We are told you are always never too old to learn. I never really appreciated that saying til yesterday when I attended Maggie's Queen tutoring session.   Thanks Maggie .  ..... insight

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Not sure .... got this as second hand info off facebook ..... I just put it out there .....  

But ... we all know the rules ..... believe 90% of what you see, 50% of what you read ..... and about the same of what you hear.

another one around $500 per annum

there are a few people doing it, making more or less money out of it. Suspect the price has gone up as the value of the honey crop produced from the rented hives has disappeared, so the rental fee has to make it worthwhile in the absence of the sweetener value

Edited by tommy dave
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alastair said:

Here's the web site of a bee hire business. Scroll down near the bottom to get their prices.

 

https://hirehives.nz/

Wow, I would be keen on doing this, the payment per hive is twice what I'm making on manuka sites and no having to pay the landowner. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maru Hoani said:

Wow, I would be keen on doing this, the payment per hive is twice what I'm making on manuka sites and no having to pay the landowner. 

 

You really want your business spread  in ones or twos all over northland ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yesbut said:

You really want your business spread  in ones or twos all over northland ?

If it puts food on my familys table and I don't have to wreck myself running 700 hives to get by then it would be a no brainer, I'd only need a few hundred hives and I would be able to pay way better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be able to get the ok to buy a forktruck that'll fit down a garden path....low ground pressure tyres for the lawn, and 1.0m clearance for the roses !

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yesbut said:

You might be able to get the ok to buy a forktruck that'll fit down a garden path....low ground pressure tyres for the lawn, and 1.0m clearance for the roses !

40 hives a site for northland 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

If it puts food on my familys table and I don't have to wreck myself running 700 hives to get by then it would be a no brainer, I'd only need a few hundred hives and I would be able to pay way better. 

the problem is its a very inefficient way to run beehives. its horrendously time consuming to run hives spread out like that.

a lot of the early players have gone away from it or run at least 2 hives per house.

i think one of the ones mentioned only do it in a very small area and charge extra for outside that area.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

40 hives a site for northland 

I try and keep my sites around 20-24hives otherwise you end up with 3 frames now days, if I have nowhere else I'll bump my sites up to 28

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I try and keep my sites around 20-24hives otherwise you end up with 3 frames now days, if I have nowhere else I'll bump my sites up to 28

Aaah .... you need to head south young man  ..... we run 48 in a site over summer and get three, four or five boxes a hive if the conditions are right ......

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to start up the forge yesterday and make some hive tools. This was going to be my last beekeeping job for the winter but a bad dose of man flue has kept me inside for the last four days. I was really crook yesterday so my darling wife gave me some Harker herbal deep lung support. It's stronger tasting than Lanes emulsion although perhaps not quite so unpleasant and once you start breathing again you seem to get a different flavour or scent every time you breathe in or out.If I had to guess I would say it had almost every essential oil you can get plus a bit of horse liniment mixed in with a base of drop bear droppings to give it that eucalyptus plus flavour.

It could definitely use a teaspoon or 10 of honey . I wouldn't touch it again with a bargepole except that last night I slept just about right through with hardly a cough and no more choking on excess saliva.

I think a bit of honeydew may complement the flavours and that is what I'll try to tonight. It's either that, a teaspoon of cement or trade in my Y chromosome.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john berry said:

I was going to start up the forge yesterday and make some hive tools. This was going to be my last beekeeping job for the winter but a bad dose of man flue has kept me inside for the last four days. I was really crook yesterday so my darling wife gave me some Harker herbal deep lung support. It's stronger tasting than Lanes emulsion although perhaps not quite so unpleasant and once you start breathing again you seem to get a different flavour or scent every time you breathe in or out.If I had to guess I would say it had almost every essential oil you can get plus a bit of horse liniment mixed in with a base of drop bear droppings to give it that eucalyptus plus flavour.

It could definitely use a teaspoon or 10 of honey . I wouldn't touch it again with a bargepole except that last night I slept just about right through with hardly a cough and no more choking on excess saliva.

I think a bit of honeydew may complement the flavours and that is what I'll try to tonight. It's either that, a teaspoon of cement or trade in my Y chromosome.

Must be going around, my whole family's been sick, yesterday I stayed in bed for half the day🤧

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philippa Thomas said:

sex flu


Ah, that old excuse. 
 

I use to stay in bed for days with that during my uni days. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Philippa Thomas said:

I thought the lockdown  would've put paid to the flu and colds this winter...turns out I was wrong...again🙄 four out of six here got unisex flu😏

Lots of bugs come from unisex

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So , I'm gonna jump the gun and say welcome to July ....... Dry July ...... only another four weeks til we start cracking lids and looking at the State of the Nation.

And with that comes some big decisions for a lot of people .

 

You gonna work another year for nothing ....?

You gonna think lateral .... find another job .... or maybe you're gonna Dream Big , take a risk , tie in with with a few neighbouring beekeepers and take the world by storm .....

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I am wondering if Goran in Croatia is ok, cos he hasn't posted for a while.  Have no idea how he can be PM'd

He can't be PM'd but he can be tagged like this @Goran

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Trev - Would it help if we sent a bottle of Canty water, or some wonderful mid Canty honey?

No thanks. North Island water is far superior.  Just kidding.  My wife and I are on holiday in BOP

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...