• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally my boys big enough to help do a job😁 one less thing for me to do, he smokes my hive I'm working then moves ahead of me smoking and he's really keen too, proud daddy moment

Maggie came up today to prep for her queen raising tutorial ....to be followed by a get together with whoever feels the urge to come out and chew the fat over some wild pork slow cooked on the spit.

We are told you are always never too old to learn. I never really appreciated that saying til yesterday when I attended Maggie's Queen tutoring session.   Thanks Maggie .  ..... insight

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I'm on holiday 😏

Just in time for the shortest day and to start thinking about the new season about to start, enjoy your holiday.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Anyone know a good rate to pay for someone to melt down a round a ton of wax scrapings?

by all accounts the wholesale market for clean wax has collapsed and NZ Beeswax only offers credits for it. On the basis that it is currently worth less than $10 per kg, I would not recommend to spend more than $10/kg to get it cleaned. I suppose cleaning it for $5/kg (of finished product) would be better than putting it into compost. So that gives you maximum budget of $5,000 including electricity and equipment and labour.  Depending on what kind of melter they/you have to handle it, it could make it worthwhile or uneconomic depending...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2
On 6/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, tristan said:

Sadly nothing will change until a trailer comes off and wipes out a van/bus load of people.

1592867364260.jpg
I.STUFF.CO.NZ

Recall on faulty trailers after one got away.

Maybe someone at a regulator has been noting your posts @tristan

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tommy dave said:
1592867364260.jpg
I.STUFF.CO.NZ

that recall has been in effect for quite some time.

just going by the pic, it kinda looks like the exact same issue.

edit: its not the same issue. the bunnings ones break where the draw bar bolts onto the trailer chassis instead of the coupling end.

Edited by tristan
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Anyone know a good rate to pay for someone to melt down a round a ton of wax scrapings?

If you make your own water jacketed melter you could possibly pay a redundant airline pilot  minimum wage to work it.

We made one the other year for a little under a grand ....it runs twenty four seven for a few weeks of the year.

All the wax is in mutton cloth. We keep firing the bags in and running the wax into moulds ....  and then at some stage pull out the ones right at the bottom.

We recover most of the wax and a couple of drums of stockfeed honey.

What is left goes as fire starters.

23 hours ago, tommy dave said:
1592867364260.jpg
I.STUFF.CO.NZ

I had one of those trailers. Got de-warranted and recalled just before lockdown and I’ve finally been able to return it and get my money. 

Bunnings we’re pretty good about it. They paid me the 11 year old price of $1400.00 but wouldn’t pay for the spare wheel or frame I bought at time of purchase (strange and a bit annoying). 

Anyways, I get a second chance... so bought the best. A quality chch built Briford. Cost me another $1000 but you never regret buying quality. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Anyways, I get a second chance... so bought the best. A quality chch built Briford. Cost me another $1000 but you never regret buying quality. 

They’re a workhorse but can be pretty noisey, I’ve had a briford tandem for 15 yrs it’s done some serious work in my past life as a stone mason, dragged up and down the Waimakariri riverbed loaded up with stone, had to re do the swivel part of the suspension a couple times but the deck still looks new due to sheets of 12 mm ply used as a buffer pad. Good solid well built trailer. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, jamesc said:

If you make your own water jacketed melter you could possibly pay a redundant airline pilot  minimum wage to work it.

We made one the other year for a little under a grand ....it runs twenty four seven for a few weeks of the year.

It would make a great thread like the old philbee queen cell carriers if you put on a few photo's and explain your approach.

They cost a lot more than that to buy and it would a great reference to anyone going diy in these tight fiscal times we now find ourselves in.

Did you design it yourself or copy from somewhere else with improvements?

I'd be keen to make a smallish version ~50 litres, I imagine yours is 250l huge.

Trev had a smallish ecrotek one he did a video demo on, looks great but those are quite expensive in comparison.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

Trev had a smallish ecrotek one he did a video demo on, looks great but those are quite expensive in comparison.

Mine is 40 lt.  A very good unit.  I do not regret buying it.  It has more than paid for itself in recovered wax

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
8 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Mine is 40 lt.  A very good unit.  I do not regret buying it.  It has more than paid for itself in recovered wax

I would hope it's done more than pay for itself. If it isn't turning a profit......

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Haha 1

I am supposed to be on holiday . A holiday is a change in routine .....right ? 

I thought I'd check out the @ApiNZ Science & Research website , as part of my holiday plans were to jump on one of those Dreamline Waka's and go sell honey, only that got scuppered and we have to think lateral now.

I was keen to see how APINZ were going with their marketing campaign, whether it might be to my advantage to get off the fence and  join APINZ and help fund a universal selling spree.

I was disappointed with what I found.    A couple of hub notes with no dates for referencing ..... and that was about it.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place ?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I thought I'd check out the @ApiNZ Science & Research website ,

Not only science and research there  - all of ApiNZ 😀

But yes, science and research is here: https://apinz.org.nz/our-work/science-and-research/

ApiNZ are also sponsoring (along with MPI) a honeybee research meeting among NZ scientists, coming up in the next couple of months

1 hour ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

ApiNZ are also sponsoring (along with MPI) a honeybee research meeting among NZ scientists, coming up in the next couple of months

Is that just for scientists?

The Missus was on her device this evening ..... checking in with her mates on facebook (yep) and commented on a post about managed beehives in your garden.

Someone was asking what a managed beehive in the garden cost a year.

The answer was between $800 - $1600/hive .

Hmmm . I could do that ..... eh !

Another big Hmmm ...... she's a bit quiet out there tonight ...... so I'll throw out some thoughts from some of todays reading .

The Gospel according to Stuff ....

I was reading a bit about business resilience in trying times  . And quote from a guy called Harve who runs a company called Business intelligence.

'New power requires you to drop the ego, be open and lift the diversity and creativity of your team. It means exploring and experimenting how to draw it out of your team, your people, your community, and focus it.'

In the wider circle , the Team is the Bee keeping community.And I am thinking that selling honey has to become a team effort.  If we can make $9/kg on white honey, how about sharing that.

If we can successfully treat hives with o/a staples, lets share that.

The Seaweed man came to visit again the other day.  Paul is a mine of information on soil and soil health, seed mixes and getting the best from the land.  It costs us nothing for his advice.

His explanation was that he is employed by AgriSea to sell seaweed products. But people only buy when they have money to spend, so if ha can impart advice and knowledge to up the bottom line of his Cockies, then they will have more discretionary income to improve the biological performance of their patch of dirt.

There is no doubt we are all in for tough times in the coming season.  If we can lift production and price then we will survive . If we all draw on the Waka paddle at the same time we will move forward. If not, we will go around in circles.

Ah yes ... and how did we achieve $9/kg for our white honey ...... we put it in pots and sold the stuff to discerning customers. For many of them, it took a very large Waka to get it there !

• Like 3
17 hours ago, jamesc said:

a managed beehive in the garden cost a year.

The answer was between $800 - $1600/hive .

are you sure about this? All the examples I have come across are for far less.