• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally my boys big enough to help do a jobūüėĀ one less thing for me to do, he smokes my hive I'm working then moves ahead of me smoking and he's really keen too, proud daddy moment

Maggie came up today to prep for her queen raising tutorial ....to be followed by a get together with whoever feels the urge to come out and chew the fat over some wild pork slow cooked on the spit.

We are told you are always never too old to learn. I never really appreciated that saying til yesterday when I attended Maggie's Queen tutoring session.   Thanks Maggie .  ..... insight

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

It's not totally clear.....the tongue with the towball parted company with the ute ?

I think it shows that the tongue on the front of the drawbar has broken off. Not the tongue of the towball. It means that the coupling and safety chain remained with the towball but the drawbar disconnected aft of the coupling. The photo shows a lot of rust and looks like beech marks, so I take that to be a fatigue crack that has slowly become bigger and bigger over a very long period of time. 

A vertical plate under this coupling and over to the drawbar might have avoided the problem, if the drawbar and tongue were subject to a lot of bending moments.

I presume that under normal operation tension and compression the design was probably OK. However when a fat lump stands on the draw bar it would put this area into flexural bending. Maybe the front of the trailer also has a winch mounted on it to secure the boat. So as to keep his feet dry, aforesaid 'fat lump' jumps up and down on the drawbar while winching in the boat. So the crack could be initiated and propagated travelling at zero kph.

35 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I think it shows that the tongue on the front of the drawbar has broken off. Not the tongue of the towball. It means that the coupling and safety chain remained with the towball but the drawbar disconnected aft of the coupling. The photo shows a lot of rust and looks like beech marks, so I take that to be a fatigue crack that has slowly become bigger and bigger over a very long period of time. 

correct.

35 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I presume that under normal operation tension and compression the design was probably OK. However when a fat lump stands on the draw bar it would put this area into flexural bending. Maybe the front of the trailer also has a winch mounted on it to secure the boat. So as to keep his feet dry, aforesaid 'fat lump' jumps up and down on the drawbar while winching in the boat. So the crack could be initiated and propagated travelling at zero kph.

no.

draw bars flex due to the vibrations created by driving over the road surface (a person weight or winch is nothing). the trailer springs are short and stiff, combined with lack of shock absorbers, doesn't help the situation. 

its the 1000's of minute flexs every hour of driving that does it. just like flexing a bit of sheet metal in your hands untill it breaks. 

• Good Info 1
58 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Though, initially I thought we might be in for a classic boat ramp yarn... the amount of people who can’t back a trailer...

thats the locals at the beach entertainment. watch all the townies stuff it up.

• Agree 1

Well there yah go.

Got the extracting finished today ..... everything seemed to pack a saddy on the last pallet ..... the uncapper started groaning, the wax separator spat honey on the floor, and the stainless join on the  feed from the bulk tank pump to the drum cracked and the Buckwheat smelt like Pig Poo.

So in the words of Gold Rush Alaska, we 'shut her down' .

It's been a long and drawn out season.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Metal looks rusted like my leaf spring lucky you didn't kill someone! 

yes, its probably been cracked for a while.

absolute dumb luck it broke on a right hand bend not a left hand bend.

they did nothing wrong, it wasn't overloaded etc. just a bad design by a professional manufacture.

4 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Dunno if the manufacturer covers rustūüėÜ

no rust on it. its in perfect condition. of coarse that tiny bit of surface rust caused by the crack.

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Chinese steel ...?

nah. just bad design. there should have been a vertical bit of steel under that to strengthen it on the vertical plane. just cost cutting by the manufacture.

scary thing is i've seen the same design on much bigger trailers.

Edited by tristan
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, tristan said:

nah. just bad design. there should have been a vertical bit of steel under that to strengthen it on the vertical plane. just cost cutting by the manufacture.

scary thing is i've seen the same design on much bigger trailers.

when these are built, what is the process for them being signed off as being roadworthy? should we expect a trailer crackdown in the not too distant future, similar to nzta's oversight of all those dodgy wofs?

5 hours ago, tommy dave said:

when these are built, what is the process for them being signed off as being roadworthy? should we expect a trailer crackdown in the not too distant future, similar to nzta's oversight of all those dodgy wofs?

the only sign off is you take it for a wof.

anyone can do the same.

and you can do it with tow bars as well. there is some real manky tow bars being sold.

unfortunately towing laws are really poor and largely not enforced anyway. why is why we have such a culture of overloading and misuse.

plus no one wants to change as they make money out of it.

sadly nothing will change until a trailer comes off and wipes out a van/bus load of people.

• Good Info 1
2 hours ago, tristan said:

the only sign off is you take it for a wof.

anyone can do the same.

and you can do it with tow bars as well. there is some real manky tow bars being sold.

that last bit resonates. My car has a tow-bar. I took a look at it about a year ago. I don't trust it enough - either the kit or the install - to use it.

20 hours ago, tommy dave said:

that last bit resonates. My car has a tow-bar. I took a look at it about a year ago. I don't trust it enough - either the kit or the install - to use it.

yeah, thats something that really needs to change.

sure its not actually hard to make a tow bar, but modern vehicles have special means of mounting tow bars and often have computerised systems that need to be interfaced with to connect trailer lights. its not just about lights, its about the traction control, stability systems. the system needs to know there is a trailer hooked up and the vehicle will handle differently.

some now have built in trailer control.

i've seen it on some utes where the mouting points where not used properly and it caused the chassis to break.

the old days of weld up a tow bar and wire up the lights are almost over. the law just hasn't caught up with modern times.

• Like 1

1 hive from 30 had 3 mites in today's provap mission and in one of my usually bad areasūüėĀ

Looking forward to spring, off to drop off a ute and trailor load of wax, pick up my truck from the spray and paint and off to pick up the last of my wets from the plant.

• Like 2