• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally my boys big enough to help do a job😁 one less thing for me to do, he smokes my hive I'm working then moves ahead of me smoking and he's really keen too, proud daddy moment

Maggie came up today to prep for her queen raising tutorial ....to be followed by a get together with whoever feels the urge to come out and chew the fat over some wild pork slow cooked on the spit.

We are told you are always never too old to learn. I never really appreciated that saying til yesterday when I attended Maggie's Queen tutoring session.   Thanks Maggie .  ..... insight

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bee Good said:

I hope there were petitions between each cubicle.

No.  Just a big flat sheet with 10 holes in it.  If you were lucky they had toilet sets on them and rain covers for the toilet paper.

1 hour ago, Bee Good said:

Compulsory conscription was before my time, I guess I missed out.

I was a volunteer.  I missed out on the conscription ballot, but joined anyway.  1971

On 6/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, Bee Good said:

Ive never seen a double seat outhouse,

I would preferably wait my turn.

When you travel to different parts of the world you come across some interesting toilet arrangements. One unique one was at the Belt rodeo in Montana USA.

The rodeo was a very low key local event but obviously a significant event and very well attended.

Went into the men's and there was a water trough in the middle of the room that everyone stood around. There was netting over top of it which I guess stoped people falling in as everyone got more drunk as the day went on. As the day went on I started to wonder if the trough was big enough.

There were separate plywood stalls for number 2s which had a seat over a long open trough that served all the stalls, best not to look down. The stalls had curtains but they were a bit short and quite high so not so effective when you were sitting. The whole setup was probably quite suited for a once a year event and is one of a number of unique memories I have of American rodeos

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As a girl guide camp toilets were a long slit dug into the ground quite deep and we had a similar Arrangement to Trevors on top, I don’t remember if there was any division for each toilet seat or not.

washing hands was a wooden tripod made of Manuka sticks with an enamel wash bowl sitting in the middle.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

As a girl guide camp toilets were a long slit dug into the ground quite deep and we had a similar Arrangement to Trevors on top, I don’t remember if there was any division for each toilet seat or not.

washing hands was a wooden tripod made of Manuka sticks with an enamel wash bowl sitting in the middle.

The girl guide camps I went on had same set up (yes I went on girl guide camps and yes it explains a lot).

My sons in-laws in Norway  have a three hole long drop next to the cowshed with a big, medium and large hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a bit of a stuff up. I am taking up a new job in a couple of months, so planning in advance, a while back I squashed some queens I felt were not performing and merged some hives. The aim to reduce numbers to make moving easier. since I am going 300km. Unfortunately owing to drought conditions (probably), mice got into my hives way earlier than I expected and have had a field day in a couple. A strong hive a few weeks ago had barely any movement so I popped the lid for a check. Lesson learned for me, put the mouse guards on early in a drought.

I am not overly concerned as I am confident in my own abilities now to make queens and do splits, so can replace them easily, but it is a bit gutting to see a strong hive decimated because of your mistake.

Oh well, I should have some good swarm traps ready! .

• Sad 1

Today's last load of honey, I must be the last beekeeper in nz getting honey extracted.

Thought since it wasnt the biggest load it would be sweet as but nah, hit a few bumps on a bridge a bit hard and bang my rear leaf spring on the tandem trailor broke, took out the guard, broke the rim, brake line, bent the axle, and bent the remaining U bolts holding the springs

Ended up putting it in 4 low and dragging it 10m over to the side out of traffic, wend for back up, had to re stack 78 boxes with human fork lifts then they lifted the trailor while I took the rear tires off and strapped the axle up, those guys are tuff

20200615_111356.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Whatever you do don't anyone mention this to tristan !!!!!!1

It was a pallet less than I usually take too,

too much grunt on the remapped Dmax, would normally be on the big truck now days but it's been in the shop for 3 weeks getting a full blast and paint

Aaah Bro .... I told yah to get a bigger truck ..... 😘 .....

Yeah Nah ....  I feel your pain .    

We put a new log burner into  the Bro's house today .   The kitchen was like a sauna for half an hour and then he rang to say the back wall was smoking.

Fuuuuuuur .

Back to square one.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Today's last load of honey, I must be the last beekeeper in nz getting honey extracted.

Thought since it wasnt the biggest load it would be sweet as but nah, hit a few bumps on a bridge a bit hard and bang my rear leaf spring on the tandem trailor broke, took out the guard, broke the rim, brake line, bent the axle, and bent the remaining U bolts holding the springs

Ended up putting it in 4 low and dragging it 10m over to the side out of traffic, wend for back up, had to re stack 78 boxes with human fork lifts then they lifted the trailor while I took the rear tires off and strapped the axle up, those guys are tuff

20200615_111356.jpg

ouch.

lucky it wasn't much worse. but thats what constant overloading does. fatigue cracks in the centre of the springs. probably a safe bet that the other springs are all cracked to.

tho not the worse i've seen.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
39 minutes ago, tristan said:

ouch.

lucky it wasn't much worse. but thats what constant overloading does. fatigue cracks in the centre of the springs. probably a safe bet that the other springs are all cracked to.

tho not the worse i've seen.

Took about 5 years of overloading, it's getting fully worked, probly cost me more than the load of kanuka bush honey I was taking in but atleast nobody was hurt and the recovery was easy😊

You can always buy a new trailor.

• Like 1

Wowee! Middle of June and the bees are pouring out of the hives at 8.30am! Loads of pollen saddlebags and heaps of big heavy girls crash landing. I wonder what the forage is?

3D1F53E3-81DD-4E15-910F-224A773AEE29.jpeg

92C57F2E-D49F-4F0B-BCE7-25B6F5ACEFF3.jpeg

Edited by CHCHPaul
Photos are messed up but can’t fix
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Wowee! Middle of June and the bees are pouring out of the hives at 8.30am! Loads of pollen saddlebags and heaps of big heavy girls crash landing. I wonder what the forage is?

do you have any mahonia longifolia near you..   Grape holly.

5 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

If that's on the hills - I would query tree lucerne (fantastic pollen) & early eucalypt (pollen & nectar).  Is the Pride of Madeira flowering yet? This is absolutely fantastic pollen & nectar.  The last month has been warm, so there will no doubt be heaps of floral sources on the hills

Yes, in the hills and the tree lucerne is flowing again with a few eucalyptus having a go too. 

Not sure I could identify Grape holly...😬

on another note, a land owner out near Prebbleton contacted me to say there was lots of dead bees in front of my hives... so I went out there today to check on the damage and it looks to be poisoning. All hives have equal amounts of wee piles out front with tongues out and the ones not dead are sort of paralysed. Anyways, inside the four I opened are looking pretty good, but they have lost quite a few foragers. Sad, but I think they’ll all survive. 

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Yes, in the hills and the tree lucerne is flowing again with a few eucalyptus having a go too. 

Not sure I could identify Grape holly...😬

on another note, a land owner out near Prebbleton contacted me to say there was lots of dead bees in front of my hives... so I went out there today to check on the damage and it looks to be poisoning. All hives have equal amounts of wee piles out front with tongues out and the ones not dead are sort of paralysed. Anyways, inside the four I opened are looking pretty good, but they have lost quite a few foragers. Sad, but I think they’ll all survive. 

Maybe take some samples and get it tested to find out what poisoned them???

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Took about 5 years of overloading, it's getting fully worked, probly cost me more than the load of kanuka bush honey I was taking in but atleast nobody was hurt and the recovery was easy😊

You can always buy a new trailor.

you can't buy someones life back after the trailer smacks into them or throws you off the road. 🤬