11 hours ago, jamesc said:

The $112/kg related to Honey .... some quite good MGO Manuka ...

The $112/kg related to Honey .... some quite good MGO Manuka ...

That's 32! Yes 32 times our offer of 3.50.

If we both produced 10 ton. I need to harvest 320ton of pasture to return same income. It's insane. 

Even at 50 a kilo, I need to harvest 150 ton!  10,000 15kg net honey boxes.

100 of my truck loads. 

That folks is why it's a Manuka chase, and why marketers want a slice of that pie. Not pasture or bush. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 3
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally my boys big enough to help do a job😁 one less thing for me to do, he smokes my hive I'm working then moves ahead of me smoking and he's really keen too, proud daddy moment

Maggie came up today to prep for her queen raising tutorial ....to be followed by a get together with whoever feels the urge to come out and chew the fat over some wild pork slow cooked on the spit.

We are told you are always never too old to learn. I never really appreciated that saying til yesterday when I attended Maggie's Queen tutoring session.   Thanks Maggie .  ..... insight

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Yep @Gino de Graaf ..... I agree .... big yawn here .

After years of chasing Rainbows I have come to the realisation that the true pot of gold is right before me .... and that sometimes my neighbours pot of gold is not as shiny as everyone  thinks.

$112/kg ..... say we trucked two unit loads north to pollinate Kiwi's at $200/hive ( correct me if I am wrong) ..... then pulled them out and plonked them onto some nice Manuka for a month or so, then trucked 'em home to fatten up for the winter .... that would be hard won coin.

The kiwi's would pay for the site fees and the airfare onto site .... so I need a good year on the manuka to pay for the bus fares north and south .......and make a dollar.

It's high in and dependant on high out .... year in year out. 

The Missus takes no prisoners when I fail to bring home the groceries.

And I get pretty cranky when I can't afford to go see my Doctor.

The important part is what falls out the bottom ..... and many a time the slow and steady has won the race !

Patience Bro .... 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3

Um .... Gino is sat up in Tauranga grumbling he can't sell his bush honey.

Gino is sitting on the doorstep of the motherload ....  Kiwi pollination just out the back door ..... and a quick zip in his truck down the Toll road and out to the Wild West where some of the most primo Manuka is grown. 

If he threw his swag into the truck and headed out of town .... young Man .... he would find the Mona Lisa.

And now I will zip it as I have given tooo many trade secrets away already.

• Agree 1

Now, to change the topic, and a Mod will correct me if I am wrong ... I would like to mention the Apiweb.

We all fill in the Apiweb right, registering our sites for the AFB elimination scheme and ensuring our ability to be export legible. And quite possibly we all grumble about the slowness of the Apiweb mapping system that logs our sites and generates a map coo ordinate that marks our sites.

And possibly many of us resort to google earth for the co ordinates ... and here is the catch. Apiweb sites are logged as decimal degrees, whereas google sites are logged as minutes degrees and seconds.

So .... I am picking many beekeepers are talking English with Apiweb, but Apiweb only understands Ghorkali.

Confusion reigns.

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Now, to change the topic, and a Mod will correct me if I am wrong

what topic?

41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Um .... Gino is sat up in Tauranga grumbling he can't sell his bush honey.

Gino is sitting on the doorstep of the motherload ....  Kiwi pollination just out the back door ..... and a quick zip in his truck down the Toll road and out to the Wild West where some of the most primo Manuka.

Well John Wayne, would you prefer honey or pollination?

The pollination motherload...it's under pressure too. Because of Manuka. And your way of thinking, get pollination and chase Manuka. 

There is no space for more out West, unless you move off an established beek or squeezing another piglet in the bed. Adding to the drama.

You're right, I can survive so better shut my pie hole and stop whining. My unsold honey is my problem to deal with.

• Agree 1
36 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Now, to change the topic, and a Mod will correct me if I am wrong ... I would like to mention the Apiweb.

We all fill in the Apiweb right, registering our sites for the AFB elimination scheme and ensuring our ability to be export legible. And quite possibly we all grumble about the slowness of the Apiweb mapping system that logs our sites and generates a map coo ordinate that marks our sites.

And possibly many of us resort to google earth for the co ordinates ... and here is the catch. Apiweb sites are logged as decimal degrees, whereas google sites are logged as minutes degrees and seconds.

So .... I am picking many beekeepers are talking English with Apiweb, but Apiweb only understands Ghorkali.

Confusion reigns.

Confucius say " Whomsoever pushes options button on Google Earth will find an option to show whatever positioning system you want including decimal degrees"

• Agree 1
33 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Confucius say " Whomsoever pushes options button on Google Earth will find an option to show whatever positioning system you want including decimal degrees"

Hallelujah. .... Confucious very wise man .

35 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Well John Wayne, would you prefer honey or pollination?

The pollination motherload...it's under pressure too. Because of Manuka. And your way of thinking, get pollination and chase Manuka. 

There is no space for more out West, unless you move off an established beek or squeezing another piglet in the bed. Adding to the drama.

You're right, I can survive so better shut my pie hole and stop whining. My unsold honey is my problem to deal with.

OK Tonto .....  go push a piggy out of bed .... there's some disgruntled sows out there.

OK Tonto .....  go push a piggy out of bed .... there's some disgruntled sows out there.

This is often the case I recon.. and the polite guy sits back and says he doesn’t want to rock the boat or upset anyone when in reality some of these cowboys are only still there because there’s no fresh option for the owner.. 

its probably worth a door knocking mission with a couple boxes of honey on the back seat and nothing on the to do list.. 

that is of course if chasing the rainbow floats your boat.. 

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

This is often the case I recon.. and the polite guy sits back and says he doesn’t want to rock the boat or upset anyone when in reality some of these cowboys are only still there because there’s no fresh option for the owner.. 

its probably worth a door knocking mission with a couple boxes of honey on the back seat and nothing on the to do list.. 

that is of course if chasing the rainbow floats your boat.. 

Lol, many doors out south,north west are well rapped. 

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You’d have to harvest something other than M to get $112 kg down here though. 

Maybe Jimmy, Stella and the 500 ponies could pick you up on the way to the promised land. 

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You is rapping on the wrong doors Bro ..... go back ..... but Rap with a different Tap ..... probably start at the Masonic in Opo, then stagger over the road to Slim's  ..... talk some garbage and meet a few of the local stakeholders  .... as we all know, it's not What you know, it's Who you know .

Become  a part of the family.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Become  a part of the family.

Brotherhood of the Eternal Optimist

Possibly  ....  an old style  form of facebook or Linkedin or Forum  ..... dare I say it ..... a face to face communication where  we front up and look each other in the eye and see the honesty, or not, and strike the relationship.

A communication where we rely on our intuition and gut feeling and make a decision to progress or not . 

And therein lies the manner of the man.

• Like 2

I wonder if there is as much action going on in your gully as there are great wafting clouds of philosophical meanderings rising above it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I just did some final wintering down (yes, I know it’s late) on the valley that unexpectedly got hammered by varroa back in late February. 

All the surviving hives look great, particularly the ones that were treated with MAQs. The ones treated only with OA are good, if a bit small, and one of the ones treated with Bayvarol was failing - a tooooo late supersedeure. Squished the virgin, shook out the bees and shared what was left of the brood with the smaller ones. Add a few staples to all for winter. 

I’m already looking forward to spring. 

• Like 2

I have heard though the grapevine that there has been a big problem with tutin in the honey in golden bay this season.

I am not surprised I have never seen the hoppers in the numbers that were around this yr.

The beek who has bees on my place had his honey tested and its ok .

All the tutu here is coastal and I have never seen hoppers on it .

Probably because it is quite exposed .

The hoppers were mainly in the flax and blackberry and not much on the native .

Since tutu is a coloniser and there is not much disturbed land the tutu has a restricted range here .

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I have heard though the grapevine that there has been a big problem with tutin in the honey in golden bay this season.

I am not surprised I have never seen the hoppers in the numbers that were around this yr.

The beek who has bees on my place had his honey tested and its ok .

All the tutu here is coastal and I have never seen hoppers on it .

Probably because it is quite exposed .

The hoppers were mainly in the flax and blackberry and not much on the native .

Since tutu is a coloniser and there is not much disturbed land the tutu has a restricted range here .

What do they do with the honey that fails?