Katipo

Ox/Gly strips over winter

I'm wondering whether any beekeepers put Oxalic strips in their hives over winter? I had Apistan in my 3 hives over Autumn (using up the last of my strips before hoping to moved permanently to Ox strips), took them out mid/late April (8-9 weeks in the hive). One hive had moved the brood off the strips (migrated into the top box) but the mite count was only 1. Other 2 still had strips in the brood, with no mites in sugar shake. I like the idea of keeping totally on top of the mites over winter, but with the bees doing very little/clustering over winter, I'm worried having Ox strips in their cluster will adversely effect them? In the north Auckland area. Thanks.

I have OA strips in. Can't tell you about any downside yet, I'm leaving them alone for a few months. The sheilas flapping in & out look healthy enough !

• Like 1

Like Ashley said a few weeks ago ..... test, test, test ....

I too have the same dilemma , pulling out Apivar, hives look good with the odd Meth Wash revealing one mite ....and I was wondering about putting in o/a staples for the winter.

After a little thought , I have decided to wait eight weeks, until early august , and then do some more testing and review the situation.

I have a feeling we will be using Bayvarol in the spring.

Auckland is a little different as you don't get a winter .... sugar shake again in three weeks and report back  @Katipo.

• Good Info 1

@jamesc I went into the hive today where they had moved off the Apistan during it's course. Strong hive, but saw a few bees with DWV, so didn't even test, in with the OA strips. Will check/count in a month or so. Will test other 2 tomorrow.

• Good Info 2

50 minutes ago, Katipo said:

@jamesc I went into the hive today where they had moved off the Apistan during it's course. Strong hive, but saw a few bees with DWV, so didn't even test, in with the OA strips. Will check/count in a month or so. Will test other 2 tomorrow.

If the mite count has jumped in that hive then I would suggest you also just treat the other two.  There could be mite drift into those two hives, even after you do a test.

• Agree 2