Jump to content
Katipo

Ox/Gly strips over winter

Recommended Posts

I'm wondering whether any beekeepers put Oxalic strips in their hives over winter? I had Apistan in my 3 hives over Autumn (using up the last of my strips before hoping to moved permanently to Ox strips), took them out mid/late April (8-9 weeks in the hive). One hive had moved the brood off the strips (migrated into the top box) but the mite count was only 1. Other 2 still had strips in the brood, with no mites in sugar shake. I like the idea of keeping totally on top of the mites over winter, but with the bees doing very little/clustering over winter, I'm worried having Ox strips in their cluster will adversely effect them? In the north Auckland area. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have OA strips in. Can't tell you about any downside yet, I'm leaving them alone for a few months. The sheilas flapping in & out look healthy enough !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Ashley said a few weeks ago ..... test, test, test ....

I too have the same dilemma , pulling out Apivar, hives look good with the odd Meth Wash revealing one mite ....and I was wondering about putting in o/a staples for the winter.

After a little thought , I have decided to wait eight weeks, until early august , and then do some more testing and review the situation.

 

I have a feeling we will be using Bayvarol in the spring.

 

Auckland is a little different as you don't get a winter .... sugar shake again in three weeks and report back  @Katipo.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jamesc I went into the hive today where they had moved off the Apistan during it's course. Strong hive, but saw a few bees with DWV, so didn't even test, in with the OA strips. Will check/count in a month or so. Will test other 2 tomorrow.

  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Katipo said:

@jamesc I went into the hive today where they had moved off the Apistan during it's course. Strong hive, but saw a few bees with DWV, so didn't even test, in with the OA strips. Will check/count in a month or so. Will test other 2 tomorrow.

 

If the mite count has jumped in that hive then I would suggest you also just treat the other two.  There could be mite drift into those two hives, even after you do a test.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...