nikki watts

royal jelly and propolis

Hi All

Is there anyone on the forum selling bulk royal jelly or propolis ? needs to be exportable. 

thanks 

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Hi All

Is there anyone on the forum selling bulk royal jelly or propolis ? needs to be exportable. 

thanks 

What sort of quantities of propolis are you looking for? I have a mixture of scrapings and from mats. 

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Hi All

thanks 

Have produced royal jelly in the past and would be happy to again if there was demand.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Daniel Benefield said:

What sort of quantities of propolis are you looking for? I have a mixture of scrapings and from mats. 

They want it already processed. Just a vague inquiry at this stage.

Arataki honey, Rotorua branch would be worth a try for propolis.

Royal jelly production in New Zealand came to a grinding halt years ago with the importation of (unbelievably) cheap Chinese Royal jelly which gets packaged in Flash boxes with pictures of the Southern Alps et cetera and sold back to the Chinese tourists usually with the proviso of contains local and imported ingredients. I assume that the local bit is some added water. The local market for propolis has been severely affected by similar imports.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, john berry said:

Arataki honey, Rotorua branch would be worth a try for propolis.

Royal jelly production in New Zealand came to a grinding halt years ago with the importation of (unbelievably) cheap Chinese Royal jelly which gets packaged in Flash boxes with pictures of the Southern Alps et cetera and sold back to the Chinese tourists usually with the proviso of contains local and imported ingredients. I assume that the local bit is some added water. The local market for propolis has been severely affected by similar imports.

Yes. I suspect this inquiry is tied to China shutting down. I was told yesterday the beeks there haven’t been able to tend hives and will miss most of this years crop. No idea if there’s any truth to it. 
could he a chance for NZ to regain some international market. 

I believe there was a huge import of propolis from Argentina last year , not sure if any comes from China or not.

3 hours ago, john berry said:

I believe there was a huge import of propolis from Argentina last year , not sure if any comes from China or not.

There is. To different companies.

13 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Yes. I suspect this inquiry is tied to China shutting down. I was told yesterday the beeks there haven’t been able to tend hives and will miss most of this years crop. No idea if there’s any truth to it. 

not sure they actually have “crops” to forage for honey, doesn’t it come from a sugar bag ?

• Agree 2
  • Haha 3

I would avoid royal jelly from China in wide circle.. Crushed and strained young drone larvae in mix as in some which appear here.. Maybe this is no more the case, but hey why I would believe them again.. I still don't drink Brawndo.. 

So if You have to compete in price with proper royal jelly against that.. won't happen..

I know a beek who tried to sell drone brood into Japan but MPI put in the too hard basket so another export failed due to beaurocracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure why or how you could pick drone brood out of Royal jelly because bees don't feed drones on Royal jelly.

Way back in the day when we used to do some Royal jelly we always picked the Queen grubs out but I know there are some cultures that believe that for men to get the full effect the whole lot should be eaten.

Not that I need it but if I did then swarm cells ,grubs and all ,straight from the hive are the bees knees. (So I've heard).

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, john berry said:

Not sure why or how you could pick drone brood out of Royal jelly because bees don't feed drones on Royal jelly.

Way back in the day when we used to do some Royal jelly we always picked the Queen grubs out but I know there are some cultures that believe that for men to get the full effect the whole lot should be eaten.

Couldn't press the agree button for all the above post, but certainly agree with this part

• Agree 1

One of the reasons why NZ hasn't been able to compete with China on the royal jelly market is because of the price of labour

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bighands said:

I know a beek who tried to sell drone brood into Japan

I could be wrong (it happened once before) but I think this relates to the selling of drone larvae, 'extracted' from the comb (?) and then consumed.  High protein, high fat, apparently sorty of nutty in flavour, suitable for frying...

For many years I used to lick the grafting brush clean after use. Not sure if it did me any good or not but I finally worked out by trial and error that I got better grafting success from just washing the brush in clean water.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

I've been to China twice to research the Chinese Royal Jelly industry. Not saying I went everywhere, saw everyone and everything, but a good representative sample. 

The drone larvae are picked out from the RJ. These are sold to Japan as a health food. Hence there is a positive financial inducement to pick them out, secondly there are penalties for impurities and contaminants. 

At my place RJ is taken from queen cells not drone cells..

On 30/05/2020 at 12:58 PM, Rob's BP said:

There is. To different companies.

Will this affect our price and future sales?  Probably. 

1 hour ago, Goran said:

At my place RJ is taken from queen cells not drone cells..

If you try grafting a drone larvae into cell cup, turns into one large well fed faulty tower.

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/05/2020 at 8:59 AM, nikki watts said:

I wonder what Uncle @Ted's humble pie tatse's like😬

20 hours ago, Maggie James said:

One of the reasons why NZ hasn't been able to compete with China on the royal jelly market is because of the price of labour

This is certainly one but not the only factor. 

On 31/05/2020 at 9:01 AM, Goran said:

I would avoid royal jelly from China in wide circle.. Crushed and strained young drone larvae in mix as in some which appear here.

FWIW, I was responding to this post, had this in mind when typing 'drone larvae'...

38 minutes ago, Rob's BP said:

This is certainly one but not the only factor. 

What do you consider the other factors are

That video certainly shows how China can produce royal jelly cheaper than we can but it doesn't explain why that Royal jelly gets sent to New Zealand where it is misleadingly packaged and then sold back to Chinese tourists.This practice might meet the letter of the law but ethically ?

Surely if this product is of such high quality that it is imported into New Zealand in preference to using the local product then it is good enough to be sold under under its country of origin.

• Agree 3