Jump to content
nikki watts

royal jelly and propolis

Recommended Posts

Hi All

Is there anyone on the forum selling bulk royal jelly or propolis ? needs to be exportable. 

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Hi All

Is there anyone on the forum selling bulk royal jelly or propolis ? needs to be exportable. 

thanks 

What sort of quantities of propolis are you looking for? I have a mixture of scrapings and from mats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Hi All

Is there anyone on the forum selling bulk royal jelly or propolis ? needs to be exportable. 

thanks 

Have produced royal jelly in the past and would be happy to again if there was demand.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Daniel Benefield said:

What sort of quantities of propolis are you looking for? I have a mixture of scrapings and from mats. 

They want it already processed. Just a vague inquiry at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arataki honey, Rotorua branch would be worth a try for propolis.

Royal jelly production in New Zealand came to a grinding halt years ago with the importation of (unbelievably) cheap Chinese Royal jelly which gets packaged in Flash boxes with pictures of the Southern Alps et cetera and sold back to the Chinese tourists usually with the proviso of contains local and imported ingredients. I assume that the local bit is some added water. The local market for propolis has been severely affected by similar imports.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, john berry said:

Arataki honey, Rotorua branch would be worth a try for propolis.

Royal jelly production in New Zealand came to a grinding halt years ago with the importation of (unbelievably) cheap Chinese Royal jelly which gets packaged in Flash boxes with pictures of the Southern Alps et cetera and sold back to the Chinese tourists usually with the proviso of contains local and imported ingredients. I assume that the local bit is some added water. The local market for propolis has been severely affected by similar imports.

 

Yes. I suspect this inquiry is tied to China shutting down. I was told yesterday the beeks there haven’t been able to tend hives and will miss most of this years crop. No idea if there’s any truth to it. 
could he a chance for NZ to regain some international market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there was a huge import of propolis from Argentina last year , not sure if any comes from China or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, john berry said:

I believe there was a huge import of propolis from Argentina last year , not sure if any comes from China or not.

 

There is. To different companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Yes. I suspect this inquiry is tied to China shutting down. I was told yesterday the beeks there haven’t been able to tend hives and will miss most of this years crop. No idea if there’s any truth to it. 
could he a chance for NZ to regain some international market. 


not sure they actually have “crops” to forage for honey, doesn’t it come from a sugar bag ?

  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would avoid royal jelly from China in wide circle.. Crushed and strained young drone larvae in mix as in some which appear here.. Maybe this is no more the case, but hey why I would believe them again.. I still don't drink Brawndo.. 

So if You have to compete in price with proper royal jelly against that.. won't happen..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a beek who tried to sell drone brood into Japan but MPI put in the too hard basket so another export failed due to beaurocracy.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why or how you could pick drone brood out of Royal jelly because bees don't feed drones on Royal jelly.

Way back in the day when we used to do some Royal jelly we always picked the Queen grubs out but I know there are some cultures that believe that for men to get the full effect the whole lot should be eaten.

Not that I need it but if I did then swarm cells ,grubs and all ,straight from the hive are the bees knees. (So I've heard).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, john berry said:

Not sure why or how you could pick drone brood out of Royal jelly because bees don't feed drones on Royal jelly.

Way back in the day when we used to do some Royal jelly we always picked the Queen grubs out but I know there are some cultures that believe that for men to get the full effect the whole lot should be eaten.

Couldn't press the agree button for all the above post, but certainly agree with this part

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

One of the reasons why NZ hasn't been able to compete with China on the royal jelly market is because of the price of labour

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bighands said:

I know a beek who tried to sell drone brood into Japan

 

I could be wrong (it happened once before) but I think this relates to the selling of drone larvae, 'extracted' from the comb (?) and then consumed.  High protein, high fat, apparently sorty of nutty in flavour, suitable for frying...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For many years I used to lick the grafting brush clean after use. Not sure if it did me any good or not but I finally worked out by trial and error that I got better grafting success from just washing the brush in clean water.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

 

I've been to China twice to research the Chinese Royal Jelly industry. Not saying I went everywhere, saw everyone and everything, but a good representative sample. 

The drone larvae are picked out from the RJ. These are sold to Japan as a health food. Hence there is a positive financial inducement to pick them out, secondly there are penalties for impurities and contaminants. 

 

At my place RJ is taken from queen cells not drone cells..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2020 at 12:58 PM, Rob's BP said:

 

There is. To different companies.

Will this affect our price and future sales?  Probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goran said:

At my place RJ is taken from queen cells not drone cells..

If you try grafting a drone larvae into cell cup, turns into one large well fed faulty tower.

  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2020 at 8:59 AM, nikki watts said:

Yes. I suspect this inquiry is tied to China shutting down. I was told yesterday the beeks there haven’t been able to tend hives and will miss most of this years crop. No idea if there’s any truth to it. 
could he a chance for NZ to regain some international market. 

I wonder what Uncle @Ted's humble pie tatse's like😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Maggie James said:

 

 

One of the reasons why NZ hasn't been able to compete with China on the royal jelly market is because of the price of labour

This is certainly one but not the only factor. 

 

 

On 31/05/2020 at 9:01 AM, Goran said:

I would avoid royal jelly from China in wide circle.. Crushed and strained young drone larvae in mix as in some which appear here.

 

FWIW, I was responding to this post, had this in mind when typing 'drone larvae'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Rob's BP said:

This is certainly one but not the only factor. 

What do you consider the other factors are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That video certainly shows how China can produce royal jelly cheaper than we can but it doesn't explain why that Royal jelly gets sent to New Zealand where it is misleadingly packaged and then sold back to Chinese tourists.This practice might meet the letter of the law but ethically ?

Surely if this product is of such high quality that it is imported into New Zealand in preference to using the local product then it is good enough to be sold under under its country of origin.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...