Local producers - advertising your business and selling your wares

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not fussed at having a special domain, it's a hindrance. Off the top of my head we get 20,000 unique visitors in 32,000 sessions hitting 100,000 pageviews a month. All those people (and that block

I want to revamp how we help your business, whether its large or small, fully commercial or local farmers market. We've had the marketplace for you to list your products and whilst that was intended t

If it stops everyone bickering I'm all for it. 🤣

Posted Images

I applaud that and have no criticism.

But thinking aloud it gives me ideas and questions..

With regards to finding a local supplier, that's a great option. However, if I'm hankering for SI Beech Dew, or I want to try some Otira Rata, can I do that too? Neither are produced locally in Tauranga. I have tried Kamahi and I like it... and so on.

I think there are a lot of beekeepers out there with no clue about websites nor online sales and no money to waste on IT and no spare time(?) and this is where the forum can help and earn $ to make things happen. Next question is how best to achieve that. And so that a bunch of lurkers actually start to use the forum.

If you can sell their honey and send them a courier label, packing slip and $$ to their bank account, that is a great deal; if the bk is prepared to keep their end of the deal with prompt delivery of packed honey waiting in stock. It might even be less hassle than having their own website.

So they print out this stuff at home, then call the courier following day; when ready for uplift. They could send back a photo of the parcel waiting for pickup.

Shipping costs are often a stumbling block to any kind of online sales by a one man business. Pickup address should be an urban address at the beekeepers home rather than a rural address of the shed. I assume most purchasers will only want one 500g pot, with a bit of luck this will go into an A5 satchel not even requiring a cardboard box. The common break point in pricing for couriers is 5kg. It is important that the boxes do not weigh more than 5kg each. So, that is maybe 9x 500g. There is nothing to stop someone ordering 3 pots just that they will pay more in shipping than if they ordered 9 pots. Same applies if selling 4x 1kg pots.

I don't really favour big pots bigger than 500g. We're trying to go for the malt whisky market not the bulk cheap bargain bin! If it does not take too long to get through 500g they can be enthused to try another flavour.

In the process there are stripe fees (is paypal cheaper?) and there are fees to cover your work or that of an admin person if the job gets big enough for you to employ someone. Paypal automatically generates packing slips and Stripe probably does too. Posting 500g of honey overseas should be an option, from what I have read, but to be cost effective needs critical mass and good logistics company. So it is probably stage #2. The Daigou trade is the real prize, but first we have to learn to walk.

Free listing is good and helping people to shift their honey seems good. The opportunity for the forum to provide a worthwhile service and employ people is great also. For some beekeepers it may still be a big cost to them to (speculatively) have a drum packed into 500g containers and nicely labelled, and to source some suitable cardboard boxes for up to 5kg, but if there is no cost to the listing and no compulsion sell or take orders, they might still have an email address where people can ask and give a feel for the demand there would be.

If we start at $8/kg for the beekeeper and consider costs of container, packing, labels, courier and fees, can we get that nice honey into an urban pantry for the same cost or less than 9 pots of honey if they visit their supermarket? Just purchasing one 500g pot by courier is always going to cost more but this is a malt whisky option to try a particular type of unobtainable honey. Buying 9 pots of honey has to be competitive to work just like a wine club.

If we can't sell 4.5kg cost effectively then we shouldn't do this because it is unlikely to get traction if the supermarket is cheaper. That takes us back to the local supplier option.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

So people will need to visit Nzbees to seek honey?

Expand on this for me please Gino, what are you really wanting to say or determine from the answer?

I think its phrased with the wrong process method in mind. People wont need to come here to seek honey, rather people seeking honey will be able to come here and see who to purchase from in their local area or for a certain style of honey.

3 hours ago, Grant said:

Expand on this for me please Gino, what are you really wanting to say or determine from the answer?

I think its phrased with the wrong process method in mind. People wont need to come here to seek honey, rather people seeking honey will be able to come here and see who to purchase from in their local area or for a certain style of honey.

Ok.i meant that I perceive Nzbees to be a beekeeper forum. A place to discuss beekeeping  Not that general public visit to seek honey. So how do these folks find Nzbees?

I understand the concept. Just not the link between Nzbees and public.

It costs about $40 per year for a domain name rego. It could simple enough to have a public url that is where the advertisements are displayed as separate to the forum where the advertisements are loaded. Whilst the adverts could be free, they might be only available to bronze members or better. Information loaded into the forum would only appear on the honey webpage once it was accepted.

"nzhoney.net" appears to be available if that would suit and it would sit alongside "nzbees.net" comfortably. nzhoney.org is another available. I don't believe it matters too much, what is probably more important is to have a way of funding google adwords to get any new url off the ground. If a 100 beekeepers jumped into bronze membership this might be enough to do it, else I don't see how the traffic will come along to take a peek to get the ball rolling.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Hmmm,    would something like "nzhoneystore" be more descriptive ?

well, I guess nzbeekeepers.net would be more descriptive than nzbees.net too, but here we are.

generally I think a small short url is preferred rather than a long one, just like shorter less descriptive posts in the forum :).

• Like 2

You're last comment is right, but exact match domains have been fairly irrelevant since 2012, which is why many companies to go with a brandable url over a descriptive url. SEO goes far beyond a domain, the keyword in the domain is bee and all the search engines prefer simple short easy to understand urls that deliver what they promise. Our keywords match our content very well. We deliver our keywords and content in a nutshell and thats why our current global rank is around number 2,200,000, the 2 main coorporate beekeeping brands are at 2.6m and 3.4m whilst the governing body sits at 4.4m. We could improve that with better content titles that greater reflect the subject for topics, events and gallery uploads.

We pull the same figures as an equivalent site in the UK that has x3 the membership and has being going for 12 years with a popultion of 66m compared to our 5m.

Slightly off topic, but I'll leave it here as it details the audience figures and reach attainable if people decide they want to utilise the service. 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

I would be keen to list products on a another platform.

My only concern might be that some of the industries "dirty laundry" so to speak has been/is aired on here. I understand that it's free for the world to see as it is but would its proximity to a sales platform targeting non industry people be an issue? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
37 minutes ago, Daniel Benefield said:

I would be keen to list products on a another platform.

My only concern might be that some of the industries "dirty laundry" so to speak has been/is aired on here. I understand that it's free for the world to see as it is but would its proximity to a sales platform targeting non industry people be an issue? 

Good point. We all will need to be mindful of non Beekeepers viewing posts. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Benefield said:
51 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

its proximity to a sales platform targeting non industry people be an issue? 

Interesting & maybe a valid comment.  What is your perspective of non industry people who would be the  issue?

58 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Interesting & maybe a valid comment.  What is your perspective of non industry people who would be the  issue?

If it stops everyone bickering I'm all for it. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Seriously 225,000 posts, likelihood of a member of the public looking for cock beer from Nelson finding some dirty laundry on their potential supplier is low.

14 minutes ago, Grant said:

Seriously 225,000 posts, likelihood of a member of the public looking for cock beer from Nelson finding some dirty laundry on their potential supplier is low.

True. Though it could affect debate if we all had to consider buyers. 

No bickering, so we need to shine the light?

11 hours ago, Grant said:

We deliver our keywords and content in a nutshell and thats why our current global rank is around number 2,200,000, the 2 main coorporate beekeeping brands are at 2.6m and 3.4m whilst the governing body sits at 4.4m. We could improve that with better content titles that greater reflect the subject for topics, events and gallery uploads.

Hi Grant - All new stuff to me.  Is this per annum?  Who are the two main corporate brands? NZ or what?  What is the governing body you refer to?  Thanks

There's a few ways we could do it. I'd like to see a bit more interest first with a few more people committing to the idea, we'd need at least one supplier from each area. I must admit I'm struggling to get around the lack of excitement for a spot of free advertising across the global market

• Agree 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grant said:

There's a few ways we could do it. I'd like to see a bit more interest first with a few more people committing to the idea, we'd need at least one supplier from each area. I must admit I'm struggling to get around the lack of excitement for a spot of free advertising across the global market

Ok. So I have 10 ton clover pasture. Bulk, RMP compliant. 

Will your idea suit? 

Edited by Gino de Graaf

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I must admit I'm struggling to get around the lack of excitement for a spot of free advertising across the global market

agreed. Maybe when people are stressed out and in a hopeless situation they lose all their imagination, we shouldn't pass judgement. 

Maybe there isn't really any way they can register interest without a public post such as Gino's and that's a bit too blunt.

Were you expecting all the lurkers to change their habit, what exactly are you offering, it is hard for them to comment on specifics.

51 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Ok. So I have 10 ton clover pasture. Bulk, RMP compliant. 

Will your idea suit? 

Firstly I think you only need NP1 for this, but ok, no problem..

No 10 tonne bulk in drums won't suit, more likely you need to be willing to pack one single drum of something that is yummy from the local area into 500g or 250g pots with a great label.

The selling price has to compete with your local supermarket where you live, so that if you sold 4.5kg, the delivered price including courier would be not be more plus the honey would be superb. If we consider the supermarket price to be $14/kg and local courier is $5 and you sell 9 pots at 500g,  that is $63. less the courier that is $58 divided by 9 = $6.44 incl gst for a 500g pot. So the proposition is that you could compete with a supermarket with your unique honey that is limited to only 300kg. You design a label that describes this honey as 2018 Kaimai Range Bush Honey with notes of Rewarewa and Tawari (or whatever it is). Once this drum is sold that's it, there is no more. However, you do have another drum of something similar and is also yummy, this one gets packed and has its own label, this one might be more of that and less of this according to your tasting notes, it is limited to only 300kg too and so on. This honey comes from a site nestled deep in a valley at eventually leads to farms and the town of Katikati. Once you are down to only the last 50 pots you announce, nearly all gone, last chance.

If you can line up some deliveries then you can pocket the $5 and deliver it yourself wearing a beesuit that isn't dirty but isn't clean either.

• Like 2

thinking about 10 tonnes of clover. This is I guess 30 drums. to create thirty labels, it might be possible to visit those apiary sites and take 30 nice photos. There is late season clover with a hint of lotus major. There might be early season clover with a hint of something else. There is pure what clover. There is clover from the XYZ river and there is clover from the abc farming district. In regards to each drum being a batch for labelling purposes this gives each batch, each drum a unique label. If you have half a drum of clover and half a drum of something else, you could try mixing them on a saucer and creating some blends and see if you can create something appealing, if they could be turned into a unique honey that you can't buy at the shops. Generally speaking clover with something else in it is worthless (or so I have read) but on the the other hand marketing tells us that anything unique and limited has more value than bulk supply that is endless.

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

agreed. Maybe when people are stressed out and in a hopeless situation they lose all their imagination, we shouldn't pass judgement. 

Maybe there isn't really any way they can register interest without a public post such as Gino's and that's a bit too blunt.

Were you expecting all the lurkers to change their habit, what exactly are you offering, it is hard for them to comment on specifics.

Firstly I think you only need NP1 for this, but ok, no problem..

No 10 tonne bulk in drums won't suit, more likely you need to be willing to pack one single drum of something that is yummy from the local area into 500g or 250g pots with a great label.

The selling price has to compete with your local supermarket where you live, so that if you sold 4.5kg, the delivered price including courier would be not be more plus the honey would be superb. If we consider the supermarket price to be $14/kg and local courier is $5 and you sell 9 pots at 500g,  that is $63. less the courier that is $58 divided by 9 = $6.44 incl gst for a 500g pot. So the proposition is that you could compete with a supermarket with your unique honey that is limited to only 300kg. You design a label that describes this honey as 2018 Kaimai Range Bush Honey with notes of Rewarewa and Tawari (or whatever it is). Once this drum is sold that's it, there is no more. However, you do have another drum of something similar and is also yummy, this one gets packed and has its own label, this one might be more of that and less of this according to your tasting notes, it is limited to only 300kg too and so on. This honey comes from a site nestled deep in a valley at eventually leads to farms and the town of Katikati. Once you are down to only the last 50 pots you announce, nearly all gone, last chance.

If you can line up some deliveries then you can pocket the $5 and deliver it yourself wearing a beesuit that isn't dirty but isn't clean either.

I don't think someone after a jar of honey would be interested in a drum, but, @Gino de Graaf could still list eg thirty drums of clover honey for sale.  There may be someone else who is interested...

• Agree 1

I am not excited by following the crowd. Ra,ra. Lovely label, nice story...utter billshoot most of the time. And put it alongside other similar rhetoric. 

Someone misses out. Right? 

I have bulk, wanting sold. At fair price.