Is it legal to import beeswax to New Zealand

11 hours ago, olbe said:

Here's one , Trademe listing No 2646324947 , is this a legal importation of bees wax from China ???

And would be allowed entry based on a minimal risk profile:

• presumably clean - will have been heated strained and likely bleached?
  • packaged in small units - not so likely to be made into foundation for instance?
  • relatively high value - indeed, as anyone who has sought to be such small beeswax blocks will tell you...
  • would not be highly attractive to honeybees if it were to be exposed - Maybe a mild interest, but not likely to be avidly foraged upon
  • would not provide significant risk when discarded, and again, as high value would not be likely to be discarded.

and so forth.  I have only briefly looked at the literature, but EFB in wax made into foundation may not even be a means of infecting a colony, and that's about as much risk as this sort of wax could create, I would think.

I learned to sort of accept this approach, but would always want to have equivalence for NZ beekeepers wanting to export, too.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This stuff is in blocks and could be bought by a hobbyist wanting to make their own foundation. Any risk is too much when it comes to things like European foul brood. Given the reputation of Chinese b

Yes, biosecurity is a tenuous thing.  But on the other hand, adherence to an approach like NZs could be very reassuring for our industry, assuming our trading partners would all do the same!  

Absolute prohibitions are not common.  For animal products, many factors could be taken into consideration when an import permit is sought.   The risk analysis would need to take into accoun

Posted Images