john berry

Is it legal to import beeswax to New Zealand

The other day my wife found some beeswax blocks for sale in a craft shop. They appear to come from Australia and to have been packed in China.

I am struggling to find out whether this importation is legal or not. Anyone have an opinion?

Hi John...

Best phone number I could see was 0800 80 99 66, but that is MPI's 'report exotic pests/diseases'.  You'll likely get shoved about, but that should get you into contact with whoever would be able to confirm that the item has an import permit.  To get such a permit for such a risk item, it would need to have gone through a consideration of risks.

That would consider what pests/diseases might be introduced, what risk of actual exposure, etc.

I have not been aware of such an import before, but I've not been following things for some time.

I do think it would be worth following through to ensure that there has been appropriate consideration, and that imports are not willy nilly...

Careful on taking advice from me!  I'm neither a lawyer nor a bureaucrat!

• Like 1

mpi-socialmedia-placeholder-mpi.jpg
WWW.MPI.GOVT.NZ

<p>All imported animal products must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI's role is to help make sure imported bee products (including non-edible products like hand cream) are correctly labelled, safe...

WWW.CUSTOMS.GOVT.NZ

mpi-socialmedia-placeholder-biosec.jpg
WWW.BIOSECURITY.GOVT.NZ

<p>Find all import health standards and related information. An import health standard (IHS) is a document issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. An IHS states the requirements that must be met...

compliance-matters.jpg
WWW.BUSINESS.GOVT.NZ

Compliance Matters makes managing government compliance easy. via @business_govtNZ

Any of these reources help? Also note file attached

IHS-BEEPROIC.ALL.pdf

• Agree 1

Beeswax can be imported as long as its used for other things than beekeeping in nz.

There was an issue last year on face book when a person in Auck (I think) wanted to import and then sell it for foundation making.

There was lots of chatter about it and i don't think he imported any as everyone angry.

@Dennis Crowley, really! That’s a Mickey Mouse rule! No surely means NO!

I used that 0800 number that Nick supplied earlier this year to report Indian honey for sale on trademe,

was the correct number to use , getting the listing removed from trademe seemed to take a couple of days though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, olbe said:

I used that 0800 number that Nick supplied earlier this year to report Indian honey for sale on trademe,

was the correct number to use , getting the listing removed from trademe seemed to take a couple of days though.

Was the importer prosecuted?

13 hours ago, Bron said:

@Dennis Crowley, really! That’s a Mickey Mouse rule! No surely means NO!

In this case importing beeswax dosen't mean NO

Absolute prohibitions are not common.  For animal products, many factors could be taken into consideration when an import permit is sought.

The risk analysis would need to take into account:

• likelihood that the product carries a pathogen etc
  • volume of the import overall
  • volume of the individually packaged wax
  • labeling, either promoting or discouraging a particular use
  • value
  • vectors by which the product might be exposed to bees
  • if exposed, what is the likelihood of an infection

Some bee products have an inherently higher risk.  Think honey, think second hand bee equipment, think pollen...  Others, such as processed beeswax, may be allowable in some formulations depending on potential.

I think that their rationale here might be that the product:

• is packaged in small quantities
  • probably has quite a high value (so would be discarded so readily, etc)
  • has a potential to cause infection (?)

I questioned that last one, as I am out of touch somewhat with the literature.  Beeswax foundation, even made from wax from infected AFB hives, is considered a low risk, and EFB doesn't make such as persistent spore as AFB.  I'd have to see what research work has been done to start guessing at risk of infection.

Does 'no' always mean 'no'?  No.  Honey can be imported into NZ, for instance.  You will often see it listed as a minor ingredient in other foods.  But so long as it is not likely to be discarded, would not have any attraction to bees if it was, etc - and those products can be allowed into NZ containing honey...

The industry has worked tirelessly to avoid the introduction of pests and diseases.  But I think we'll just have to 'play the game' when it comes to specific opposition.  It needs to be science based...

• Like 2

Geez 🤦‍♀️ That’s terrifying 

With certain things it would be somewhat of a boost to our economy if we were to disallow the import of cheap and nasty substitiutes from other countries.

The mind boggles that anyone would want to buy Australian beeswax from China, especially for eating.

I am somewhat suspicious of any food that comes out of China, as are most Chinese people.

At times like these if we were keeping things in house and spending money with our own people in our own country we would bolster our own economy and be less concerned with what’s going on in the rest of the world.

• Agree 2

On 26/05/2020 at 10:36 AM, john berry said:

The other day my wife found some beeswax blocks for sale in a craft shop. They appear to come from Australia and to have been packed in China.

I am struggling to find out whether this importation is legal or not. Anyone have an opinion?

@john berry Perhaps you could send a sample of the beeswax to a lab (and I don't know who) for testing as to what's in the wax?

10 hours ago, Daley said:

Geez 🤦‍♀️ That’s terrifying 

With certain things it would be somewhat of a boost to our economy if we were to disallow the import of cheap and nasty substitiutes from other countries.

Yes, biosecurity is a tenuous thing.  But on the other hand, adherence to an approach like NZs could be very reassuring for our industry, assuming our trading partners would all do the same!

When the issue of importing honey from Oz, for instance, is proposed - we can use the science of "sanitary/phytosanitary" to resist.  We can't say "We don't want honey from Australia because it will wreck our market".  We can't say "Ours tastes better than theirs".  We can't even say "There would be no demand for their honey."  We had to make the argument that there was an identifiable and real risk to the existing pest/disease status of NZ.

But the other bright side is that this approach *is supposed to* provide us access to world markets for our products - *they* can't just say "We don't want NZ honey here..."  So maintaining our pest/disease status should assist with market access generally.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2

Thank you for your posts @NickWallingford, I’ve learnt something! 

Someone should fill that market with NZ made beeswax. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bron said:

Absolutely!  Though the volume is not great, I guess, we certainly could/should be ensuring that NZ beeswax satisfies the needs.  Given the nature of the product (small, discrete, relatively expensive) I would think that should be possible...

12 minutes ago, Bron said:

Thank you for your posts @NickWallingford, I’ve learnt something! 

Lots of people are trying....check out Trademe

16 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Lots of people are trying....check out Trademe

I'm doing my individual best - promoting mustache wax made from NZ beeswax and coconut oil.  I figure I should be able to get through maybe up to a 100gm a year with this???

beeswax.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bron said:

I'm trying too but the feedback is limited, so it currently doesnt look like the membership feel there is a need - or its just going in the too hard basket. 1 reply in 24 hours.

• Agree 1

On 26/05/2020 at 10:36 AM, john berry said:

can I ask what was the block size, what did they retail it for and would it be feasible for one of us (me) to sell them wax? Could you give us the name of the shop? We currently sell 30g ingots to our local Bin Inn store and have done for a several years. We have them in stock with cute little ribbons around them :) .

We don't use synthetic treatments and this seems to go down well in that 'market'.

Most of these appear to be used for home made wax food wraps so far as I can tell.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A few years ago I reported to MPI an Australian soft cheese with nuts and  Australian honey.  The answer came back that the honey had been irradiated in Australia before being added to the cheese, and as such was ok to be imported into NZ.  I still see it in the supermarket.  

I know honey isn't beeswax, but I have made the comment in this thread as an example of another product from the bee hive that gets in legally through our border.  

Edited by Maggie James

Bighands, the listing was removed from trademe about 2 days after my complaint, was never told whether there was any further action taken taken with the importer

Posted (edited)

Here is said that some samples of beeswax from China is paraffin with high melting point just colored. Further more also to pay attention, it is noted that is increased import of such paraffin here. Also is noted that majority of foundations sold here are falsified with more or less of such paraffin. Due to that here is trying to move into regulations beeswax standard to reduce criminal in this industry.. There are some great researches and possible simple resolutions, but if it is accepted the criminals will lose one source of easy money. When I started to follow development of these researches, I got impression it is widely spread in Europe and it seems well organized. Seems criminal organizations have better cooperation, organization and function  better than countries themselves.. 

Edited by Goran
  • Like 2

Here's one , Trademe listing No 2646324947 , is this a legal importation of bees wax from China ???

9 hours ago, olbe said:

Here's one , Trademe listing No 2646324947 , is this a legal importation of bees wax from China ???

yep  the listing states

“DELIVERY & RETURNS
Shipped from our China warehouse. Import tax and duty included.”