Jump to content

Couple more Questions re Wintering down.


Recommended Posts

Went to check hives today.

Did I make correct changes please?

Hive # 3 At last  proper check  on 11th April my notes stated 'may need to requeen in Spring.There wasn't much brood but lots of bees.

Today the hive seemed empty. Found a hatched swarm cell!

Didn't see a queen. Eyes couldn't see eggs but there are still two reasonable patches of brood and larva. 

Took hive down to two 3/4 boxes. One box is full of honey.

 

Hive #4 The little swarm hive. I have been feeding this one.

(3/4 box.) It has grown lots since last check.

Lots of brood. Very full now of either brood or honey. (5 frames with brood)Box seemed very cramped. So even though we are coming into Winter. Gave them a fully drawn box with the  feeder above. Will carry on feeding untill they have filled top box with supplies.

Anyway thoughts please?

20200522_165454.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Allan Bates, starting beekeeping in Taranaki, used to site his apiaries to be convenient to a trout stream coming off (then) Mt. Egmont.  There were some idyllic looking bee yards.

A few years ago now, I lost my licence for 3 months,  was able to get a work one with time n day restrictions. I had to have 1 day off, so Wednesday was my day off and I registered sites all over

I always say when you go to lift the box/hive to check for weight, if the hive comes to you -to light, if you go to the hive-just right. When i first started I used to carry one of those set of s

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

@Wildflower

Can you describe what 'cramped' looks like to you?

Are there bees covering both sides of all 10 frames?

Not as cramped as 10 frames can be. But yes bees covering all 10 frames. I wondered with 5 frames still to hatch out and nowhere for any more supplies, whether a single 3/4 box would be adequate. I have just fed them and they are now spread through entire 2  boxes. It still looks full. I might not be able to back up from todays choice because they will be moving supplies as we speak. I am now thinking of using some insulation cloth over hive while they build up? Hope I haven't done the wrong thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at this time of year @Wildflower  one has to relax a little.

What will be will be.

The main issue is to make sure  that the hive has enough stores to carry it through the next few months.

Crack the lids , and if it has bees, assume there is a queen. Then heft it . ....  lift one end of the hive and balance it back on the bottom board. If you grunt as you do it, then it's good. If you grunt and exclaim that was easy, then it was probably too light and could use a syrup feed. If they take the syrup down, then they are probably queen right. If you still have syrup in the feeder at the the end of the week the hive may well have queen issues ..... walk away  and relax until the spring, which is the time to start thinking about resurrecting duds.

Eyrewell is quite a warm and forward area in Canterbury.   Wait patiently until August til you think of starting to fix and even.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All your autumn work including any top up feeding and varoa control should be well finished by now. I will not be going anywhere near my hives until 15 August at the earliest. I certainly wouldn't be taking boxes off or adding any to any hives. If your hives are light then you will have to feed them regardless of the harm that you do by feeding them at this time of year but like I said get them ready before the end of April and leave them alone.

Some of my hives will die over winter (hopefully only a few) but fewer will die if I just leave them alone compared to continually checking and changing things. The two exceptions to this rule are controlling wasps (and you don't need to go into the hive to do that) and stock damage which should be fixed up as soon as possible.

If you have a hive that is crammed up at this time of year then that is perfect . Hives get weaker over the winter not stronger and spring is the time for adding boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think at this time of year @Wildflower  one has to relax a little.

What will be will be.

The main issue is to make sure  that the hive has enough stores to carry it through the next few months.

Crack the lids , and if it has bees, assume there is a queen. Then heft it . ....  lift one end of the hive and balance it back on the bottom board. If you grunt as you do it, then it's good. If you grunt and exclaim that was easy, then it was probably too light and could use a syrup feed. If they take the syrup down, then they are probably queen right. If you still have syrup in the feeder at the the end of the week the hive may well have queen issues ..... walk away  and relax until the spring, which is the time to start thinking about resurrecting duds.

Eyrewell is quite a warm and forward area in Canterbury.   Wait patiently until August til you think of starting to fix and even.

 

 

Thanks for replying  jamesc. Yes I should relax more. My Mother Hen mentality does get the best of me sometimes.

I believe my 4 hives will get through Winter fine. I might have to feed or possibly even insulate? Mother Hen will hopefully succeed. And the relaxing thing will come naturally as I extend my apiary. 4 hives are not enough for me.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jamesc said:

If you grunt as you do it, then it's good. If you grunt and exclaim that was easy, then it was probably too light and could use a syrup feed.

I always say when you go to lift the box/hive to check for weight, if the hive comes to you -to light, if you go to the hive-just right.

When i first started I used to carry one of those set of scales with a hook on the end, and hook the top honey box on the front and lift it so its tilting on the back , and if it read 8-10kgs I was happy as that was about 16-20kg of feed on there.

Now my back has its own set of dodgy scales built in. and now i rock the hives and get a pretty good feel now.

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 9:26 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

I always say when you go to lift the box/hive to check for weight, if the hive comes to you -to light, if you go to the hive-just right.

When i first started I used to carry one of those set of scales with a hook on the end, and hook the top honey box on the front and lift it so its tilting on the back , and if it read 8-10kgs I was happy as that was about 16-20kg of feed on there.

Now my back has its own set of dodgy scales built in. and now i rock the hives and get a pretty good feel now.

Lol, rock an Rollin

Don't you find that the first 24 hives feel a bit light and the last 24 a bit heavy? 

Or vice versa, if the morning is a bit tough.

I get that and need to occasionally go fishing in the second to confirm the heft.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Lol, rock an Rollin

Don't you find that the first 24 hives feel a bit light and the last 24 a bit heavy? 

Or vice versa, if the morning is a bit tough.

I get that and need to occasionally go fishing in the second to confirm the heft.


That’s a good idea. I should keep my fishing rod in the bee truck. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickWallingford said:

Old Allan Bates, starting beekeeping in Taranaki, used to site his apiaries to be convenient to a trout stream coming off (then) Mt. Egmont.  There were some idyllic looking bee yards.

A few years ago now, I lost my licence for 3 months,  was able to get a work one with time n day restrictions.

I had to have 1 day off, so Wednesday was my day off and I registered sites all over the place even on motiti Island, always carried a bee box on the back of the ute and carried on as usual, had to carry a diary as to where I'd been etc, a few days were "checking the hives on the island officer".

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...