This recipe was gifted to me from the estate of the person who supplied the Damsons for the Gin. 

There's also a recipe for Cock Ale if anyone is brave enough

image.png.1563d36df9043590438a36125d9dfe38.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

i wonder what yeast they were using.

while the citric acid is not an issue with treacle it can become an issue with honey. just not sure how much PH change 7g will cause.

Edited by Mummzie

Its only 2 weeks to brew it. We will look forward to your assessment/ amendments/ recommendations 😁

Ammonium phosphate is an ammonium salt of orthophosphoric acid. It is a highly unstable compound. 

almost a adjective for nelson voters 😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nab said:

It is a highly unstable compound. 

probably wouldn't find it on countdowns shelves then?

di-ammonium phosphate is sold as a good source of nitrogen for yeast. 

WWW.GROWANDBREW.CO.NZ

Supports yeast to achieve undisturbed clean fermentation free from residual sugar.

• Thanks 1

DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) is a common fertiliser.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mummzie said:

Its only 2 weeks to brew it. We will look forward to your assessment/ amendments/ recommendations 😁

Also interested to hear the results. Far quicker than mead.

20 hours ago, Mummzie said:

and typically a few years to age.

5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

di-ammonium phosphate is sold as a good source of nitrogen for yeast. 

WWW.GROWANDBREW.CO.NZ

Supports yeast to achieve undisturbed clean fermentation free from residual sugar.

yes, just use the typical yeast nutrients.

however there is better mixes available now that are more suited for harder to brew things like honey.

4 minutes ago, tristan said:

and typically a few years to age.

Really? I thought beer was a short brew time....

The commercial stuff doesn't have an overly long shelf life- or is that just a non beer drinkers misconception?

24 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Really? I thought beer was a short brew time....

The commercial stuff doesn't have an overly long shelf life- or is that just a non beer drinkers misconception?

beer or wine etc doesn't make any difference, anything brewed with honey needs to age.

some beers are aged, any dark beer is generally better with age. however anything commercial is generally brewed so it can be sold quickly. having product sitting around in tanks for a long time makes it unprofitable fairly quickly. 

a common dirty trick is to let product age on the shelf. i've had a certain brand of mead before that was horrible. but leave it in the fridge for 6 months and its totally different.

one of tricks i picked up was that the better brewing you do, the shorter the aging time you require.

so, maybe there is a faint ray of hope for my batch of JOAM mead afterall. It actually tastes nice, it is just too sweet for me in the range of sweet dessert wine. I could taste every 6 months for Xmas and mid-winter dinner. Maybe some extra nutrient would have helped the yeast stay around longer for less sweetness.

Meanwhile this honey beer recipe seems very easy and I'm a beer drinker with a brewing supply shop close at hand. Does anyone have a recipe that would be good for a starting out making an IPA beer? If it is ok halving the sugar amount and replacing with honey, or some other proportion, that would be great too. Is it better to begin using one of the beer making kits on the shelf?

the brewing supply shop should be able to supply a recipe...they did for me.

Great expectations website is an online start for research....lots of toys to buy..🙃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

the brewing supply shop should be able to supply a recipe...they did for me.

Great expectations website is an online start for research....lots of toys to buy..🙃

with most general brewing thee shops have the usual recipes.

however what i used to see is with anything a bit different the recipes was often really poor. 

for anything honey related your better off to check out forums like got mead.

forumshot.png?p=2388
WWW.GOTMEAD.COM

GotMead-posts about mead making, drinking mead, finding mead and mead in general

• Good Info 1

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

so, maybe there is a faint ray of hope for my batch of JOAM mead afterall. It actually tastes nice, it is just too sweet for me in the range of sweet dessert wine. I could taste every 6 months for Xmas and mid-winter dinner. Maybe some extra nutrient would have helped the yeast stay around longer for less sweetness.

by mem JAOM required a certain bread yeast which i do not know if it exists here. never did hear what a good substitute is either.

i suspect you have a low alcohol tolerant yeast. having fruit in the mead actually helps a lot in acid buffering and nutrients. one of the reasons fruit meads work really well. plus fruit flavors can hide some of the honey off tastes.

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Meanwhile this honey beer recipe seems very easy and I'm a beer drinker with a brewing supply shop close at hand. Does anyone have a recipe that would be good for a starting out making an IPA beer? If it is ok halving the sugar amount and replacing with honey, or some other proportion, that would be great too. Is it better to begin using one of the beer making kits on the shelf?

replacing sugar will honey will work ok. just use a suitable honey for the beer flavor. i suggest keeping away from light flavored beers.

11 minutes ago, Goran said:

There are many things I saw people eat and I would never put in my mouth, but hey if it sells my product in qty and price I like.. So be it. 

For example sweet and bitter in mix I dislike a lot ( like chestnut honey).

True ....  I thought I might have a go at the Honey beer recipe posted here yesterday ....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

True ....  I thought I might have a go at the Honey beer recipe posted here yesterday ....

I was hoping you would have a crack at the “cock ale” recipe and then report back as to what it actually is.  The mind boggles!!!

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, tristan said:

by mem JAOM required a certain bread yeast which i do not know if it exists here. never did hear what a good substitute is either.

i suspect you have a low alcohol tolerant yeast. having fruit in the mead actually helps a lot in acid buffering and nutrients. one of the reasons fruit meads work really well. plus fruit flavors can hide some of the honey off tastes.

version I used called for bread yeast. After my first sip, I immediately thought about a wine yeast, if there is a next time. In terms of yeast type, I guess every Joe has his own recipe. Long story short I might try making a beer with sugar before launching into substitutions. Interesting that your two posts were not combined, possible change in forum software.

http://www.waikatobeekeepers.org.nz/media/1414/joes-ancient-orange-honey-mead-recipe.pdf

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

version I used called for bread yeast. After my first sip, I immediately thought about a wine yeast, if there is a next time. In terms of yeast type, I guess every Joe has his own recipe. Long story short I might try making a beer with sugar before launching into substitutions. Interesting that your two posts were not combined, possible change in forum software.

http://www.waikatobeekeepers.org.nz/media/1414/joes-ancient-orange-honey-mead-recipe.pdf

could possibly use SafAle US-05 American Ale Dry Yeast for JAOM. just from a quick google for substitutions. its Alcohol Tolerance: 9-11% which is lower than most wine yeasts. that can leave a sweet wine.

however i havn't checked any other details.

the other thing is getting decent honey. up here we don't get much in the way of mono clover. 

On 22/05/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ted said:

I was hoping you would have a crack at the “cock ale” recipe and then report back as to what it actually is.  The mind boggles!!!

you only had to ask fellas.....

On 22/05/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ted said:

A leg of mutton or similar used to be common way to add nutrient for the yeast in a barrel of real country Cider! Why not for the yeast in Beer!