Gaura kelly

NZBF Dealing with wasps in a hive

Hi, I'm having real problems with wasps I have reduced my entrances down to the minimum on my hive doc bases. I have taken too closing the gates completely at night , and sitting outside in the morning when I openthem and killing them one by one as emerge.The hives are weak due to late requeening treatment and or  varroa related PMS issues I'm guessing. I have added some frames from the strongest of my remaining hives but it's having limited effect. . I've lost 7 hives so far with three more in trouble. About half my total.   Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers

Some background would be helpful, what treatment, and when ? 

killing the wasp nest will help.

otherwise i suspect the only coarse of action you might have available is to combine them together.

frankly if your loosing 50% of your hives you really need to get a decent beekeeper in to have a look.

4 minutes ago, tristan said:

killing the wasp nest will help.

otherwise i suspect the only coarse of action you might have available is to combine them together.

frankly if your loosing 50% of your hives you really need to get a decent beekeeper in to have a look.

According to Google she's only 11 minutes away from you @tristan     😁

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

According to Google she's only 11 minutes away from you @tristan     😁

possibly drive past most days.

When hives get demoralised enough nothing will protect them from the wasps and it sounds like your hives are in this position.

If you have a very strong hive you could swap it with the weak hive.

You could hunt down and destroy the nests, this is often really quite easy but sometimes impossible.

You could get some vespex. This stuff is amazing. It comes with proper bait stations which do work but I have found it far more effective to place one of the little bait containers inside a dead hive with all of frames removed.

Top feeders also make very efficient wasp traps, they come into the hive and for some reason exit through the top feeder where they seem to be unable to find the way out.

There are numerous designs for wasp traps most of which work to a greater or lesser extent. You can make a very basic model by cutting the top of a plastic soft drink bottle and inverting the lid thus creating a funnel which they can get in but don't seem to be able to get out of. This can be baited with protein such as roadkill rabbit or fish based cat food. This time of year you would probably get away with using some sugar water  although you would have to watch you don't catch the bees.

When all else failed the usual commercial approach was just to move the hives away until the wasps starved.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2