Unless like me you have done a lot of inspection work over the years you just wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen.  Totally abandoned apiarys (with and without AFB), years of varoa treatments all still in the hives, Starved hives, robbed out AFB, stolen hives, apiarys spread to the four winds(With and without AFB), hives that fell apart with rot, hives seven or eight boxes high with honey that hadn't been taken off in years, Apple box hives and of course  lots of well looked after hives a lot of which had contracted AFB from one of the aforementioned idiots.

As inspectors we were really only allowed to deal with the AFB problem and were certainly not allowed to talk about what we saw which I think was fair enough although I used to get pretty disappointed that there was not more follow-up in cases of sheer incompetence or ignorance that you just knew was going to lead to more problems.

It was under the old apiarys act not the current legislation but I have participated in the destruction of an entire beekeeping outfit including all hives, boxes and frames and it was certainly a sobering occasion.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know which particular case the Waikato branch is referring to.   But it sounds very much like a case that has already been publicly commented on in the Beekeeper magazine, so I can c

Just going to jump in here and say if you have AFB, do report it.   This enables the management agency to see if there is a problem in an area that should be investigated by an AP2.  

The only case of AFB I ever had in my own hives was found when it was the first hive I went to in the spring.  Even worse (?) it was in the burr comb between the boxes - I had cracked the top box and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, john berry said:

As inspectors we were really only allowed to deal with the AFB problem and were certainly not allowed to talk about what we saw which I think was fair enough although I used to get pretty disappointed that there was not more follow-up in cases of sheer incompetence or ignorance that you just knew was going to lead to more problems.

I'm just sorting out an 'indicative attitude' with beekeepers toward AFB and the Mgmt Agency.

Some beekeepers lament the fact that the Mgmt Agency does not do more, does not have even more powers, does not target beekeepers who cause the problems enough, does not come down hard enough to deal with AFB.

Other beekeepers lament the fact that the Mgmt Agency is too hard, that they target certain beekeepers, that they act in an unforgiving fashion, not giving a beekeeper the benefit of the doubt.

All in all, I think the first group reflects my attitude to dealing with AFB...

• Agree 3

"The second person has been instructed to burn two 40 foot containers full of equipment. They are relatively new beekeepers and have not done their surveillance of the hives properly. And if they had followed the policy for the surveillance that was set up a few years ago then they would have been targeted for an inspection before they got out of control over the last three years. We do not think that this has happened. They have just jumped in there and pretty much have had burn their whole outfit. He had passed his Deca but failed to recognize the
disease. He may have got confused diagnosing the symptoms and effectively ended up spreading it around their sites."

Another characteristic is the desire to find the Mgmt Agency at fault, regardless of the situation.  In this case, they didn't target a specific beekeeper as they said could happen.  In the next instance, it will be warning you that you might be targeted, and that would be wrong...

• Agree 1
28 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Tommy you have it wrong again, I do not know the beek involved in that situation.

I was annoyed at you being a hobbyist passing judgement on a commercial beek going through a very tough time, even though it may be their doing.

You have no idea what they have to be thinking as to how their family may suffer etc.

All yo have to worry about if you lose your hive is what to put in its place, a bird bath perhaps, this person has banks and family homes to think about.

I never once mentioned I was ok with what they did and have said time and time again that those who don't take care of their afb need to be dealt with.

APINZ is not ok with this situation at all, once again you got your facts wrong, but as a hobbyist you quite happy to blame a commercial beek as if you the moral guardian off beekeeping.

I have been in that situation, I do know what they went/still going through, have you?

All you got to worry about is what color birdbath to get.

Moderators is this OK third time lucky.

@Dennis Crowley - i wish your first response had been left. I'm not sure if you saw my reply from about 6am today, it disappeared too - it basically said that i hadn't understood your view first time around, but get it this time around. Thank you.

same applies for this time around in terms of understanding it now, and sorry for what i got wrong.

if it makes you feel any better, my comment about trailers and who regulates them from another thread also seemed to disappear

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

@Dennis Crowley - i wish your first response had been left. I'm not sure if you saw my reply from about 6am today, it disappeared too - it basically said that i hadn't understood your view first time around, but get it this time around. Thank you.

same applies for this time around in terms of understanding it now, and sorry for what i got wrong.

if it makes you feel any better, my comment about trailers and who regulates them from another thread also seemed to disappear

Tommy no hard feelings, I'm sure we would enjoy a beer together if ever in the same drinking spot. I re-acted to the post, not to you personally.

I do think the moderators should buy me a drink, as I am confused as to what is "inappropriate language" as I never used a swear word or what i would call inappropriate language in any of my posts. I did suggest you stop "mouthing off" a common phrase suggesting that person is talking about stuff they know nothing about.

I also said "Don't drink and Type, Think and Type", as a dig at another exchange we had many moons ago, all about having a think before you/me type a post or reply to one.

If the moderators gave us a chance to explain it would be better for all, but they are the ones in charge of the "you been a naughty boy" button.

• Like 3
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:24 AM, NickWallingford said:

"The second person has been instructed to burn two 40 foot containers full of equipment. They are relatively new beekeepers and have not done their surveillance of the hives properly. And if they had followed the policy for the surveillance that was set up a few years ago then they would have been targeted for an inspection before they got out of control over the last three years. We do not think that this has happened. They have just jumped in there and pretty much have had burn their whole outfit. He had passed his Deca but failed to recognize the
disease. He may have got confused diagnosing the symptoms and effectively ended up spreading it around their sites."

Another characteristic is the desire to find the Mgmt Agency at fault, regardless of the situation.  In this case, they didn't target a specific beekeeper as they said could happen.  In the next instance, it will be warning you that you might be targeted, and that would be wrong...

What are you quoting here Nick ??

On 6/27/2020 at 8:07 AM, NickWallingford said:

Sorry. That is from the minutes of the last AGM of the Waikato branch of NZ Beekeeping Inc.

Really sad seeing fake news recorded in their minutes....

According to the AFB presentation at the last Rotorua conference each of the beekeepers who were asked to destroy used beekeeping equipment had unacceptable levels of Afb not because they got confused between Afb and PMS, but because they decided not to comply with their DECA requirements and the AFB PMP.

The affected beekeepers and no one else were to blame on the level of Afb in their hives!

I you comply with your DECA there is no way someone will inspect your hives and find  >10% of your hives Afb infected.

From memory all 3 affected beekeepers mentioned at the conference had above 30% Afb and one above 50% Afb

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1