Jump to content
jamesc

Feedback on OA/GL treatments

Recommended Posts

Id love to get a better handle on how to use staples successfully. 
I tried staples again this autumn. My results were the same as last year. Hives in a warm and humid climate all moved away from the staples and had massive loss of bees. Queens off the lay. Some hives still had visible mites. (Possibly a side effect of reducing bee numbers ) Hives in the same area that didn’t get staples kept better bee numbers and didn’t have any varroa issues. 
The hives in a cold, dry climate got the staples about the same time and they kept high bee numbers and have just carried on as if the staples weren’t there. 

The hives in the cold area were still on a flow when the staples went in, the others had very little coming in, could that make a difference? 
 

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Id love to get a better handle on how to use staples successfully. 
I tried staples again this autumn. My results were the same as last year. Hives in a warm and humid climate all moved away from the staples and had massive loss of bees. Queens off the lay. Some hives still had visible mites. (Possibly a side effect of reducing bee numbers ) Hives in the same area that didn’t get staples kept better bee numbers and didn’t have any varroa issues. 
The hives in a cold, dry climate got the staples about the same time and they kept high bee numbers and have just carried on as if the staples weren’t there. 

The hives in the cold area were still on a flow when the staples went in, the others had very little coming in, could that make a difference? 
 

I think a flow makes a big difference .

can not logic out why yet .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think a flow makes a big difference .

can not logic out why yet .

Hmmm. I think you’re right. Also I suspect high humidity may cause a reaction in  the OA 

  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

Id love to get a better handle on how to use staples successfully. 
I tried staples again this autumn. My results were the same as last year. Hives in a warm and humid climate all moved away from the staples and had massive loss of bees. Queens off the lay. Some hives still had visible mites. (Possibly a side effect of reducing bee numbers ) Hives in the same area that didn’t get staples kept better bee numbers and didn’t have any varroa issues. 
The hives in a cold, dry climate got the staples about the same time and they kept high bee numbers and have just carried on as if the staples weren’t there. 

The hives in the cold area were still on a flow when the staples went in, the others had very little coming in, could that make a difference? 
 

 

The only thing I can think of is that the staples absorbed water via the glycerine, which resulted in a larger immediate dose being applied to the bees and bee death, and the bees wanting to stay away from the staples.  All speculation really...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CraBee said:

 

The only thing I can think of is that the staples absorbed water via the glycerine, which resulted in a larger immediate dose being applied to the bees and bee death, and the bees wanting to stay away from the staples.  All speculation really...

Yes. That all makes sense. I’ve noticed the ‘rotten egg’ smell in the hives badly effected. 
Once the hives loose too many bees they might struggle to control the airflow and internal moisture around the hive. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Goran said:

Two seasons ago, if I didn't miscalculate I tried as summer treatment OA/GL - I mixed it and cut strips of material recommended in Argentinian paper. It had some success in beginning but later when I test with other treatment it falls more varroa than I can accept. So I didn't wait and knock varroa down with other type of treatment. There may be true that in what one poster here said - to change strips in 15 days, I didn't - I left near 4 weeks and test. I wish to try once more but there is always more important things and I take easy route.. Only for carrier if I can use plain cardboard - does anyone tried?

For robbing, I didn't notice any. I did notice silent robbing when applied thymol based treatment. I believe when all bees got scented with thymol it is harder for guard bees to identify, or this is my wrong thinking?

 

What was the ratio of OA/GL for your treatment? Under 35% don't expect very good results. And 40% gives better result.

 

 

7 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Id love to get a better handle on how to use staples successfully. 
I tried staples again this autumn. My results were the same as last year. Hives in a warm and humid climate all moved away from the staples and had massive loss of bees. Queens off the lay. Some hives still had visible mites. (Possibly a side effect of reducing bee numbers ) Hives in the same area that didn’t get staples kept better bee numbers and didn’t have any varroa issues. 
The hives in a cold, dry climate got the staples about the same time and they kept high bee numbers and have just carried on as if the staples weren’t there. 

The hives in the cold area were still on a flow when the staples went in, the others had very little coming in, could that make a difference?

 

As soon as the bee population gone down there were not enough bees to spread the OA. I suspect sick bees too who didn't resist to OA. Any tests prior the treatment?

 

I prepared hard as for the autumn treatment. I finished my strips on the sewing machine then I contacted Clarks to order GL(first time). A lovely lady took all my details and she said that next day I'll get an email from the sales department with the invoice. After I'll pay they'll deliver the GL. Now that was 3+ months ago and the email still didn't arrive.

Lucky me I had enough synthetic treatment in stock so I used those otherwise I'll run out of time(I wanted the treatment in by mid March).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I used thymol I noticed increased robbing and also I believe increased honey consumption. I could put up with both if it actually worked but I found that while it reduced mite numbers somewhat it certainly didn't kill enough to be useful in one application.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...