jamesc

Feedback on OA/GL treatments

It's interesting how 'Fads' come and go.

I was thinking about Philbee this morning , and how he drove the O/A thread that generated such a lot of feedback and information.

Philbee is in hibernation and the O/A thread seems to be dead ..... but that doesn't mean to say people have stopped using it.

How are people's bees   faring with this autumn's O/A treatments ..... ?

I think you will find the discussions and the info sharing is still going on ... just outside of public platforms. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Thanks for asking :)

Our bees are in very good shape and some recent rains haven't hurt either, so OAG can't take all the credit.

We don't really discuss this any more, we just do it.

For those who try this, I recommend just do it with a single apiary and to try it early with an apiary you don't need until later; so if they have a failure they still have time to revert to their normal treatment routine. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

40 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I think you will find the discussions and the info sharing is still going on ... just outside of public platforms. 

which is a little sad  - as a nationwide collaboration of all  beekeeping types, methods of use and all results in all climatic conditions would have been of great benefit to all.

Edited by Mummzie
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

which is a little sad  - as a nationwide collaboration of all  beekeeping types, methods of use and all results in all climatic conditions would have been of great benefit to all.

Totally agree.. bit difficult now I guess .. without all the players involved. 

• Agree 1

Agree with @Mummzie and @Stoney  It is sad that the OAG thread died.  However, that is what does happen with some of the long running aspects of our life.

Where is @Alastair

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Totally agree.. bit difficult now I guess .. without all the players involved. 

True, but we only lost one player in the team ..... so I guess we can still play on ... right.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

True, but we only lost one player in the team ..... so I guess we can still play on ... right.

Sure.  There is nothing to stop anyone from posting in the thread.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Wow, the thumbs down! Better than the Cross. 

I'm with stoney. The sharing is occurring, but privately.  

• Haha 1

I think it more about being 'out of season' as most have chosen and used their autumn treatments, so thread will probably fire up in spring. Recent posts have been more forthcoming about problems and discrepancies which is a plus. Previously, anyone whose comments were perceived to not follow the needed marketing line were hammered which did restrict a number of posts considerably.

• Agree 2

So... how succesfull were this autumns O/A treatements??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, that is what does happen with some of the long running aspects of our life.

Where is @Alastair

Does seem a bit odd to me as I’ve mentioned in the “where is?” Thread.. seems to have gone from extreme posting to zero overnight..  hope the ol fellas alright... 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Does seem a bit odd to me as I’ve mentioned in the “where is?” Thread.. seems to have gone from extreme posting to zero overnight..  hope the ol fellas alright... 

He's around so thankfully he's OK. I'm hoping the recent changes will allow @Alastair and others to return to their normal selves again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not necessarily about o/x per-se but had a lot more people mention robbing as a problem 

OA is not set and forget option and any issues I have had with strips have been my mismanagement and lack of attention at a critical time .

I am going to have a through look through my hives tomorrow .

I have just learnt that the beek who has had hives on my place had to burn 150 hives because of AFB.

I am hoping this happened in the motueka area after he moved his lot to mine .

It is a tragedy for him, it was his breeders .

3 ,yrs ago his breeders were wiped out by floods .

The Riwaka area  is a real hot spot for AFB now .

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Not necessarily about o/x per-se but had a lot more people mention robbing as a problem 

I use OA/GL extensively and robbing has not been a consistent issue. Maybe seen bad robbing at two out of eight apiaries. 

How many hives do you run @CHCHPaul  if it's not an indelicate question ?

Posted (edited)

Moved the AFB off topic comments to their own thread so we can keep this about OA/GL

13 hours ago, Jamo said:

I was somewhat disappointed that one of the key driver's of this development who certainly invested more effort, time, and money than anyone else and shared much of his knowledge with us here was removed

Unfortunate...but an own goal.

Its opened the way for comprehensive feedback-  positive... AND negative, which was stifled .

Lets all contribute as before and keep this going.

I have to put up my hand to say I didn't use OA/GL either treatment this season.

Edited by Mummzie
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Totally agree Mummzie, as a hobby beek, I was very not prepared to give it a go, as I saw so many very experienced commercials shot down if they posted anything but glowing praise, and suspected there were more hiding behind the battlements so with just a few hives decided it was not worth the grief and risk to the bees. 

I think that there are other substrates to use which do not involve sewing Gib tape which would - like plastic strips provide a substrate which can be pulled intact, saving the bees all the work of carting it around the hive to dispose of it.

The jute strip may well be that product as someone who has tried it has found - and while it is used in the horticultural industry, it is also used in the upholstery industry.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Agree that the jute could be interesting.

Definitely on my list of things to try next season

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, yesbut said:

How many hives do you run @CHCHPaul  if it's not an indelicate question ?

I have 45 hives at the moment. I know... it’s an obsession. 

I also had 18 mating nucs. Some mini’s and some queen castles. Will be taking the last mated queen from them on Monday to replace a really late supersedeure... virgin running around. The rest are amalgamated into single story colonies. 

And other than the frightening varroa episode up one valley apiary in the last couple of months, all are treated with OA/GL and have been exclusively for three seasons. (I’m quite diligent)

• Like 3

On 14/05/2020 at 12:29 PM, jamesc said:

So... how succesfull were this autumns O/A treatements??

So far my O/A treatments have shown that I had to learn how to use it and the hives do well on it. Can be knocked back if the hive has a very high mite loading, however with the sick bees gone it has a good recovery chance.  In which case if the losses have been to high add a couple of frames of brood and it will do good.

My opinion a good product to learn to use and necessary in our choice of products to use.  I am very happy with the results.   

Was talking to a beek who only put in half the necessary staples and lost a lot of hives.  My suggestion same would have happened if he had used synthetics.

• Like 1

Two seasons ago, if I didn't miscalculate I tried as summer treatment OA/GL - I mixed it and cut strips of material recommended in Argentinian paper. It had some success in beginning but later when I test with other treatment it falls more varroa than I can accept. So I didn't wait and knock varroa down with other type of treatment. There may be true that in what one poster here said - to change strips in 15 days, I didn't - I left near 4 weeks and test. I wish to try once more but there is always more important things and I take easy route.. Only for carrier if I can use plain cardboard - does anyone tried?

For robbing, I didn't notice any. I did notice silent robbing when applied thymol based treatment. I believe when all bees got scented with thymol it is harder for guard bees to identify, or this is my wrong thinking?