Hey guys I run a small amount of hives ( 300) and looking for a new vehicle + trailor? combo. Whats the best bang for your buck and reliability? looking to buy second hand and wanting to do all the normal upgrades ie, suspension and potentially custom deck to get 5 hives wide. I do a mixture of pollination and manuka, so a i spend a bit of time on the road. Any opinions and pointers just fire away 😃🐝

Welcome to the forum @stevebee   🙂  This thread might be a good start :

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Manuka and pollination should give a good balance sheet.

I'd go brand new ..... something like short wheel  Dodge Ram running on 33's ......  handy without the trailer, but plenty of grunt when you've got  some weight to tow.

Brand new and you know what you are getting.

We looked at a second hand digger the other day after reading about @Maru Hoani's exploits with his.

The ram seals were stuffed and the track idlers shggd.

The dealer offered to fix it all for  free, having already dropped the list price 8k.

We ended  up dry  hiring a machine for two weeks.

Go new if you can !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jamesc said:

Manuka and pollination should give a good balance sheet.

I'd go brand new ..... something like short wheel  Dodge Ram running on 33's ......  handy without the trailer, but plenty of grunt when you've got  some weight to tow.

Brand new and you know what you are getting.

We looked at a second hand digger the other day after reading about @Maru Hoani's exploits with his.

The ram seals were stuffed and the track idlers shggd.

The dealer offered to fix it all for  free, having already dropped the list price 8k.

We ended  up dry  hiring a machine for two weeks.

Go new if you can !

I would always go new if I could but you gotta make do with what you've got

Edited by Mummzie
due/do
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stevebee said:

Hey guys I run a small amount of hives ( 300) and looking for a new vehicle + trailor? combo. Whats the best bang for your buck and reliability? looking to buy second hand and wanting to do all the normal upgrades ie, suspension and potentially custom deck to get 5 hives wide. I do a mixture of pollination and manuka, so a i spend a bit of time on the road. Any opinions and pointers just fire away 😃🐝

I found trailers are a hassle, and easy to get stuck.

I'd go for a small second hand 4WD truck, something like an Isuzu Elf.  You'll get a good amount of hives on.  These smaller trucks can be a bit gutless on the road, but should get you anywhere off-road. Also when you'r ready you can put a crane on the back....

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, stevebee said:

Hi Stevebee. What you using at the moment? 

Hey team i appreciate the input, currently have been using an older Isuzu truck coupled with a single cab flat deck Ford Courier. The Courier just ticked over 200,000 kms and is still in good condition however just lacks power being an older 2.5 turbo. was thinking along the lines of a ranger, bt50, stx ect. i guess also looking to maximize hive carry capacity which is why i was thinking trailer too.... 

8 hours ago, stevebee said:

Hey team i appreciate the input, currently have been using an older Isuzu truck coupled with a single cab flat deck Ford Courier. The Courier just ticked over 200,000 kms and is still in good condition however just lacks power being an older 2.5 turbo. was thinking along the lines of a ranger, bt50, stx ect. i guess also looking to maximize hive carry capacity which is why i was thinking trailer too.... 

Sounds a reasonable combination.

Are you expanding? 

With 300, a truck is added costs in maintenance. And it will sit around a lot.

Those cofs....

Plenty of Beekeepers use a Ute and trailer. It all depends on your situation.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Plenty of Beekeepers use a Ute and trailer.

Landcruiser & trailer that is, around here.

How big is your budget?

What are your sites like for access?

A medium trailer is fine on the highway if the tow vehicle is set up correctly.

Off road.... a helicopter.

IMG_20191013_062114.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/05/2020 at 4:09 PM, stevebee said:

most people around here use utes plus trailer. not many have the big bucks for landcruisers. buy 2-3 utes for the price of a landcruiser.

one of the downsides of trucks is deck height. however this all comes down to how are you loading hives etc. do you have a crane/lift ?

personally i would not go 5 hives wide. that means having extended mirrors etc which tend to get hit. plus many gates can get rather narrow, especially when sliding around in the mud, as do many orchards. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Good luck sorting through all the opinions on this topic all of which will have some merrit. 

One thing that I am quite sure of though is that in the very near future their will be many custom bee rigs appearing on the 2nd hand market. Happy shopping.

Yep ..... at the end of the day we all want a vehicle that can do three jobs ..... Move bees, move Beekeepers, and move Mama.

At the end of the day you gotta bite the bullet.

You need a truck for the grunt of lifting and moving. The novelty of moving singles by hand into pollination soon wears off ..... and you need a ute for the run around maintenance.

Landcruisers are great, but the back ends need pimping to carry any weight and are overpriced.

Rangers travel nice but have  ho hum viz for  off road work ....

BT 50 are cheaper and the same sort of thing .....

The Lux is a work dog but the motor too small.

I'd still save my pennies and find a low mileage  diesel Dodge to pull a fifth wheel trailer with something like an Ezi loader on the back.

The thing to bear in mind is that ' When you want to up grade or retire, you need gear that someone else wants to buy ..... for your price.' 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yep ..... at the end of the day we all want a vehicle that can do three jobs ..... Move bees, move Beekeepers, and move Mama.

At the end of the day you gotta bite the bullet.

You need a truck for the grunt of lifting and moving. The novelty of moving singles by hand into pollination soon wears off ..... and you need a ute for the run around maintenance.

Landcruisers are great, but the back ends need pimping to carry any weight and are overpriced.

Rangers travel nice but have  ho hum viz for  off road work ....

BT 50 are cheaper and the same sort of thing .....

The Lux is a work dog but the motor too small.

I'd still save my pennies and find a low mileage  diesel Dodge to pull a fifth wheel trailer with something like an Ezi loader on the back.

The thing to bear in mind is that ' When you want to up grade or retire, you need gear that someone else wants to buy ..... for your price.' 

Dodgems around the city and carpark cowboy. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You'd have a hard time getting around orchards with a D Ram if kiwi pollination is part of your business income mix.

A good late model low mileage ute will do the job with a good trailer. A truck will also do the job.

My new truck with wireless remote hi-ab does a great job at moving hives but that is all I use it for.

Checking hives and general hive work I do with the ute, I also use it for shopping, going tiki touring, picking up mom etc it's also my car.

If push came to shove I could use the ute to move my hives(i'd have to put hi-ab on the back or trailer but it would work).

I would go for the most versatile vehicle for you first and then if your business grows, adapt, if it does not or goes backwards you still got a vehicle that is a good general one.

I know thats just some more confusion fo yah.

If I was starting beekeeping again with what I know now, I would be a high end prostitute, that way at least you get payed for being screwed.  

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Thanks guys i now have enough thoughts and opinions to chase my tail around. And Dennis cheers for the very sound advice you posted, I like the way you think 😀