• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've used it a fair bit and my advice is to stay away from it.   It is a seriously nasty stuff both the fumes / vapours it emits and should you get any on your skin it will cut deep into the skin - ve

If anybody wants to give it a go, make sure you use it for strong colonies. A weak colony will push the fumes away and the treatment will not give good results. In strong colonies the bees will try th

Can't post this stuff. Too nasty if it spills. 

9 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Is this from making your own MAQs style treatment? I’ve loosely been toying with the idea to do this...

We used to flash treat hives over spring and summer. Folded paper towels and add 60ml Formic. Mixed results as we used open floors. Dad bought 1000 litres....

Wow. Just straight formic onto the paper towels? How many mil’s?

I have been considering sewing up philbee style six layer gib tape, maybe with a more absorbent core for a longer release time and laying these ‘patches’ on the top bars much like MAQs

I would have to improve my mite counting methods to monitor the efficacy...😬

How much are you selling it for and are you able to get it to CHCH?

thanks @Gino de Graaf Paul

30 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

I have been considering sewing up philbee style six layer gib tape, maybe with a more absorbent core for a longer release time and laying these ‘patches’ on the top bars much like MAQs

Can't post this stuff. Too nasty if it spills. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

I've used it a fair bit and my advice is to stay away from it.   It is a seriously nasty stuff both the fumes / vapours it emits and should you get any on your skin it will cut deep into the skin - very deep.  It is colourless so you can't see where it may have splashed etc.  I was using meat soaker pads as the medium and it worked ok but it is a bit fickle with temperatures and Queen loss and effectiveness.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Can also use a wetex type dish sponge in ziplock bag with a 5 cm slit in with 60 mils in it, sitting on the topbars of standard Langstroth hive, with 60 mils at 65%, as the vapour is heavy, it flows down the frames, and even with professional training, not worth the grief particularly as it really hammers the bees - often worst hit is the queen, just as Crabee describes. Also beggers galv roofs and nails.

• Like 1

If anybody wants to give it a go, make sure you use it for strong colonies. A weak colony will push the fumes away and the treatment will not give good results. In strong colonies the bees will try the same thing by instinct however since there are lots of bees everywhere in the box the only thing they'll achieve is to spread the fumes.

A good method is to use sanitary pads for women(cheapest from Coutdown, 2/box). Make sure the % is not less than 60%, preferably 65%.

• Like 2
On 12/05/2020 at 1:31 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

We have plenty of Formic acid left over. 

This allowed moderates?

You can sell it or even pass it on for free, for sure, just use the marketplace please. Say you have 100 litres, I'd recommend selling 100 x 1L or 10 x10L units to make it more manageable for the purchasers rather than a 100L drum, unless thats how it comes.

• Like 1