Jump to content
frazzledfozzle

Ecrotek incubator

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am getting the feeling that we have talked about incubator backup systems before. My incubator is big enough to hold 100 litres of water and loses about 1 degree in a 10 hour power cut. 

A different problem I almost had during this season's hotter than normal late spring was that the circulating fan I have inside what is a well insulated box was generating more heat than I was losing as the temp difference inside and outside the box during the day was sometimes quite low. My monitoring system picked up the problem before it became a big problem and I wired the fan into the temp controller.

No system is perfect but over the years I have seen more cells lost to virgins than to incubator issues so I stick with my incubator.

Edited by Mummzie
vergins?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jamo said:

I am getting the feeling that we have talked about incubator backup systems before. My incubator is big enough to hold 100 litres of water and loses about 1 degree in a 10 hour power cut. 

A different problem I almost had during this season's hotter than normal late spring was that the circulating fan I have inside what is a well insulated box was generating more heat than I was losing as the temp difference inside and outside the box during the day was sometimes quite low. My monitoring system picked up the problem before it became a big problem and I wired the fan into the temp controller.

No system is perfect but over the years I have seen more cells lost to vergins than to incubator issues so I stick with my incubator.

yes that does ring a bell, and sounds like a great solution essentially using the water tank as a battery.

Normal rule of thumb is that a 180 litre home hot water cylinder loses about 1 C per hour, but those are normally hotter (up to 70C), so you may be right.

Are you really sure it only drops 1C  after ten hours? Average drop of only 0.1C per hour, the insulation must be really good.

Does the Beeline incubator already have 100 litres of water?

A steel plate would be much heavier and denser, so if you used 50 litres of steel, in 50 litres of water, that might work even better.

If a hot water cylinder could be connected to even a small tank it might provide an extra 180 litres of thermal backup with a circulating pump at less cost. 

Fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

 

 

I'm sure depleted uranium would be even better, denser, and may even produce a little residual warmth of it's own.

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

A steel plate would be much heavier and denser, so if you used 50 litres of steel, in 50 litres of water, that might work even better.

 

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

 

A steel plate would be much heavier and denser, so if you used 50 litres of steel, in 50 litres of water, that might work even better.

If a hot water cylinder could be connected to even a small tank it might provide an extra 180 litres of thermal backup with a circulating pump at less cost. 

Fun!

But I can just get the water out of the tap. Regarding the hot water cylinder yes anything is doable but there are complication running the circulating pump and a controller if there is no power. In my younger days I was right into developing complex systems to overcome problems but now that I am older I find myself looking for simple solutions more and more. Unfortunately simple doesn't always cut the mustard .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, yesbut said:

 

 

 

 

I'm sure depleted uranium would be even better, denser, and may even produce a little residual warmth of it's own.

 

Sterile queens will not be very useful.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...