frazzledfozzle

Ecrotek incubator

Posted (edited)

I am getting the feeling that we have talked about incubator backup systems before. My incubator is big enough to hold 100 litres of water and loses about 1 degree in a 10 hour power cut. 

A different problem I almost had during this season's hotter than normal late spring was that the circulating fan I have inside what is a well insulated box was generating more heat than I was losing as the temp difference inside and outside the box during the day was sometimes quite low. My monitoring system picked up the problem before it became a big problem and I wired the fan into the temp controller.

No system is perfect but over the years I have seen more cells lost to virgins than to incubator issues so I stick with my incubator.

Edited by Mummzie
vergins?
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jamo said:

I am getting the feeling that we have talked about incubator backup systems before. My incubator is big enough to hold 100 litres of water and loses about 1 degree in a 10 hour power cut. 

A different problem I almost had during this season's hotter than normal late spring was that the circulating fan I have inside what is a well insulated box was generating more heat than I was losing as the temp difference inside and outside the box during the day was sometimes quite low. My monitoring system picked up the problem before it became a big problem and I wired the fan into the temp controller.

No system is perfect but over the years I have seen more cells lost to vergins than to incubator issues so I stick with my incubator.

yes that does ring a bell, and sounds like a great solution essentially using the water tank as a battery.

Normal rule of thumb is that a 180 litre home hot water cylinder loses about 1 C per hour, but those are normally hotter (up to 70C), so you may be right.

Are you really sure it only drops 1C  after ten hours? Average drop of only 0.1C per hour, the insulation must be really good.

Does the Beeline incubator already have 100 litres of water?

A steel plate would be much heavier and denser, so if you used 50 litres of steel, in 50 litres of water, that might work even better.

If a hot water cylinder could be connected to even a small tank it might provide an extra 180 litres of thermal backup with a circulating pump at less cost. 

Fun!

Posted (edited)

I'm sure depleted uranium would be even better, denser, and may even produce a little residual warmth of it's own.

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

A steel plate would be much heavier and denser, so if you used 50 litres of steel, in 50 litres of water, that might work even better.

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

If a hot water cylinder could be connected to even a small tank it might provide an extra 180 litres of thermal backup with a circulating pump at less cost. 

Fun!

But I can just get the water out of the tap. Regarding the hot water cylinder yes anything is doable but there are complication running the circulating pump and a controller if there is no power. In my younger days I was right into developing complex systems to overcome problems but now that I am older I find myself looking for simple solutions more and more. Unfortunately simple doesn't always cut the mustard .

18 hours ago, yesbut said:

I'm sure depleted uranium would be even better, denser, and may even produce a little residual warmth of it's own.

Sterile queens will not be very useful.

• Haha 2