How do I identify a skulker. Page 15...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. I did that just couple days ago. Mummzie called this box a cake.🤣 It wouldn't have been long before the bees found the gap to the sugar syrup. This small swarm has hardly any stores. So feed

Meaning "to move in a stealthy or furtive manner" such as a bee probing the defences with the plan of a robbing attack. Action: check the hive security so that boxes all fit snugly together and d

All fixed. Frame wasn't pushed down. You can see if you read the post above. I learned yet another lesson.👍  

Posted Images

Meaning "to move in a stealthy or furtive manner" such as a bee probing the defences with the plan of a robbing attack.

Action: check the hive security so that boxes all fit snugly together and don't have broken rims,  and are bee proof.  Also reduce entrance size if robbing is starting.

I lost one hive recently which I left with one frame poorly seated so that there was a gap between two boxes, and so that robbers could gain access.  When passing by a week later I noticed a few bees along the junction of the boxes but did not twig that they were robbing.  Only noticed the problem accurately when checking later for honey stores which had gone.  Grrr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tudor said:

Meaning "to move in a stealthy or furtive manner" such as a bee probing the defences with the plan of a robbing attack.

Action: check the hive security so that boxes all fit snugly together and don't have broken rims,  and are bee proof.  Also reduce entrance size if robbing is starting.

I lost one hive recently which I left with one frame poorly seated so that there was a gap between two boxes, and so that robbers could gain access.  When passing by a week later I noticed a few bees along the junction of the boxes but did not twig that they were robbing.  Only noticed the problem accurately when checking later for honey stores which had gone.  Grrr.

Yes. I did that just couple days ago. Mummzie called this box a cake.🤣

It wouldn't have been long before the bees found the gap to the sugar syrup. This small swarm has hardly any stores. So feeding them. 

Wasn't a piece of cake to just push frame down either. Hence 2 days later I feel like I have been kicked in the calf and my thumb is slightly swollen. Not a good idea to try to fix with no suit on in late Autumn! The frames get tight and I may gradually look at 9 frame as you have stated in book. Have been busily painting boxes. My husband said yesterday my bees were spoilt ( I was planting 7 new Rosemary Bushes closer to their hives to tuck them to bed and give them easy food in early Spring)🌼

20200508_131111_copy_543x391.jpg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Yes. I did that just couple days ago. Mummzie called this box a cake.🤣

It wouldn't have been long before the bees found the gap to the sugar syrup. This small swarm has hardly any stores. So feeding them. 

Wasn't a piece of cake to just push frame down either. Hence 2 days later I feel like I have been kicked in the calf and my thumb is slightly swollen. Not a good idea to try to fix with no suit on in late Autumn! The frames get tight and I may gradually look at 9 frame as you have stated in book. Have been busily painting boxes. My husband said yesterday my bees were spoilt ( I was planting 7 new Rosemary Bushes closer to their hives to tuck them to bed and give them easy food in early Spring)🌼

20200508_131111_copy_543x391.jpg

That looks like a bee sized gap between the boxes (ideal for wasps and robbing bees)...or did you fix that by getting the frames to sit down in the frame rest correctly?

On 10/05/2020 at 9:16 PM, dansar said:

That looks like a bee sized gap between the boxes (ideal for wasps and robbing bees)...or did you fix that by getting the frames to sit down in the frame rest correctly?

All fixed. Frame wasn't pushed down. You can see if you read the post above. I learned yet another lesson.👍

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Grant said:

Can I ask... Page 15 of what book, where? Someone is bound to ask me in 6 years when they revisit the topic

Page 15 of Tudor's Easy Beekeeping .