Posted (edited)

Started reading @tudor book. 

A job for me in Spring is to retire my 2 FD boxes. Lower FD box I imagine may well be nearly empty at this stage so good time to attack.

I am reading page 10 of Tudors book. *Convert a Full Depth to a Medium hive is easy.*

Can someone check for me please?

Phrase below has me muddled.....

*Then  unpack  the  hive  with  the  medium  boxes  in  the  lid.*??

Also just to double check. But I think I understand.... 

If I have no drawn 3/4 frames,

I would BEFORE moving things around, pop a couple of frames of 3/4 foundation either side of brood nest into FD to let the bees draw them out. Then after replacing FD frames, I would then  follow precedure putting Q in 3/4 above QE over the FD etc.

Time to read Tudors book page to page. Don't think I could follow it before.🤔

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Fixed link
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, Minor edit: Convert a Full Depth to a Medium (3/4) hive is easy.   START HERE: The queen is in the FD brood box under the excluder, lots of brood both closed and open. Pla

When working a hive its common for the lid to be placed upside down on the ground and the boxes being taken from the hive to be placed in there. In this case it will be the 3/4 boxes. The FD box

Hi,

Minor edit:

Convert a Full Depth to a Medium (3/4) hive is easy.

START HERE: The queen is in the FD brood box under the excluder, lots of brood both closed and open.

Place a drawn medium (3/4) box with some honey stores (it may well be the honey super that has come through over winter) on a hive mat on the ground and find the queen in the FD box. Get her to go into the medium box by picking her up (gently) or gently laying the frame she is on flat on top of the medium box with her on the lower surface – she will go to the darkness as fast as anything.

Put the excluder on the FD box, and the new medium box on top of that, and maybe a honey super above that. Probably add the other ¾ box above the one with the queen if she is laying a lot or lots of honey is coming in – do the bees need the space ?

The brood will emerge from the cells in the FD box after a maximum of 24 days (check arithmetic). Then unpack the hive with the medium boxes in the lid, and place the FD box to one side. By now all the brood will have emerged and most bees move up to where the queen is, who is laying. Check some of the FD frames and see if they contain honey (don't worry about pollen). If there is lots of honey, we will arrange “internal robbing” as follows. If not, retire the box.

Place the 2 medium boxes on the base board, put on the queen excluder, and an empty medium box with no frames in it. Then place the FD box on that, and work through it frame by frame, scratching any capped honey with a scratcher – the bees then see this as “free honey” and should move it down to the hive below the excluder. Give them a couple of days, then remove the FD box after shaking off any bees, and retire it, and remove the excluder.

The extra vacant space gives the bees the impression that the wets are not part of their own hive and rob it out and take the honey back down to their frames. This generally leaves the frames pretty dry.

By this stage the new 2 box OSB hive may need another box depending on how the queen is laying.

If you don't have drawn ¾ frames for START HERE above:

A box of foundation may not be used by the bees, but if the queen is there I would be confident that the bees start drawing immediately as long as there is some flow, or you feed them.

However, safer would be to remove from the FD box a couple of frames without brood, and put 2 3/4 frames with foundation just next to the brood frames, on each side. The bees will probably draw those frames quickly, and you can use them in the 3/4 box with foundation frames to draw the bees up. And there will be cells for the queen to lay in straight away. And put back the FD frames you took out.

So it puts you back a week or so, no long time.

And I would do this alteration in spring when the hive is active, not in autumn when it is closing now (like now).

good luck, Tudor - and keep asking if you need more help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Phrase below has me muddled.....

*Then  unpack  the  hive  with  the  medium  boxes  in  the  lid.*??

When working a hive its common for the lid to be placed upside down on the ground and the boxes being taken from the hive to be placed in there.

In this case it will be the 3/4 boxes. The FD box will be on the base, ready for you to follow the next instruction.

I hope that answers what you were asking.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

When working a hive its common for the lid to be placed upside down on the ground and the boxes being taken from the hive to be placed in there.

In this case it will be the 3/4 boxes. The FD box will be on the base, ready for you to follow the next instruction.

I hope that answers what you were asking.

You gem! Thank you.😁 That is exactly what I was asking. I have never worked with anyone. EVER! Well I had Meercat dig me out once. And a neighbour tried to help once, but got 2 bees up her nose and never came back! I wonder why? 😂🤣😂🤣

( Sorry not funny. 😶🤐)

I usually  take off the lid and put it right way up, using it as a table. I place the boxes on top. Sometimes the lid gets a bit sticky, depending on the season. So the phrase 'in the lid' confused me. I tell you, learning alone is like reading braille when it comes to reading instructions sometimes. Thanks so much Mummzie.  👍