• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is one of my plantings. The fence is 1.7m tall.    

Jolly old Samsung spellchecker. Korean and kiwi don't mix very well

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  Whenever a message shows up.  I usually get a notice saying there is a message or reply.

Nothing there at present.

There should be, I inquired about the echium seeds 22 hrs ago.  It appears in my sent..

On 1/05/2019 at 5:43 PM, yesbut said:

There should be, I inquired about the echium seeds 22 hrs ago.  It appears in my sent..

About echium seeds you sent me .

I sowed some in spring and none came up so I sowed the whole lot in a tray and left them.

About a month ago they started  sprouting .

Some I planted as seedlings straight from tray but they do not much l like being transplanted .

So I pricked out the new seedlings at the 4 leaf stage into  6 plant cell packs .

Nothing like bugloss they are Echium candicans, Pride of Madeira, etc.....do be careful they do not like composty stuff. They are a coloniser and as  dead leaves and other droppings build up underneath after a few years they'll  carc.

• Good Info 1
5 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Nothing like bugloss they are Echium candicans, Pride of Madeira, etc.....do be careful they do not like composty stuff. They are a coloniser and as  dead leaves and other droppings build up underneath after a few years they'll  carc.

So. You are saying that they are the plants that you sent me.  There are dozens of them.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

@Trevor Gillbanks and @kaihoka ....how did the Echium/s go over summer ?

Very well in the end.  I did not think it was going to germinated.  Then i found i had hundreds of seedlings.

I transferred them into the areas that i wanted them and more than enough grew.

None flowered this season, but I expect a large flowering for next season.

As a side issue I found that nothing likes to grow under them.  So great weed control.

I thought I had sent you a message way back when I did the transplants.  Sorry if I forgot.  Old age.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Once they're established they're great. and you're never short of a seedling !

I will certainly post some photos next season with the bees on them. (if they flower for me)

The largest are about 1.5 m tall.

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

@Trevor Gillbanks and @kaihoka ....how did the Echium/s go over summer ?

I have lots of plants around the garden .

They have not flowered yet .

I have tried to put them in the most well drained spots , next to cistus and grevillia etc.

They do not like wet in any form , rain or soil .

5 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Very well in the end.  I did not think it was going to germinated.  Then i found i had hundreds of seedlings.

I transferred them into the areas that i wanted them and more than enough grew.

None flowered this season, but I expect a large flowering for next season.

As a side issue I found that nothing likes to grow under them.  So great weed control.

I thought I had sent you a message way back when I did the transplants.  Sorry if I forgot.  Old age.

I sowed seeds in spring and nothing happened .

Then one day I looked in the tray and there were lots of plants .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sailabee said:

I tried to grow them from seed, and the few that did germinate did not grow beyond 40 cms high before loosing the will to live - think it was the cruddy yellow clay.

A few of mine have got black edges on leaves .

They are certainly not 1.5 mtr tall .

I have clay too .

Thanks Kaihoka, perhaps I should give it another go, as I love the plants in mass plantings. I didn't even get a particularly good germination rate, so may have to splash out on another packet of seeds, and a few hail Marys.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Thanks Kaihoka, perhaps I should give it another go, as I love the plants in mass plantings. I didn't even get a particularly good germination rate, so may have to splash out on another packet of seeds, and a few hail Marys.

The king seeds dwarf echium does well for me and self seeds .

I think its called blue something .

I will look and post link .

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

Echium blue bedder .

Cheap pkts $2.95

• Thanks 1