Wildflower

Winter Break Down Check.

🙄Still posting in Beginners.🙂

Reading The Beekeeper NZ and it says down where I am, we aim to close up our hives by end of April, but often end up going to mid May.

I just want to relay where I am at so as to check whether or not I am fully on track please. 

Hive #1

Full Depth Double brood box. Plenty of supplies and still some brood.

Still humming along nicely. Propolising up the tiny gap between boxes. Plan to leave as is.

Hive #2 plus #3

Two 3/4 brood boxes. Activity is (brood etc.)predominantly in top box but lots still going on down below. Box of honey on top. I put a hive mat between brood chamber and honey box. ( haven't tried this before)One with a 25mm hole and one with a 50mm hole.

(all I had) My thought was they could rob out of honey box as needed, but it would give them a smaller space to keep warm?

Hive #4

The little swarm.

Only One 3/4 brood box. 5 frames bees. 3 full frames brood. Feeder on top. Feeding sugar. Changed feeder yesterday because I had given them pollen comb to clear out ( that I poured the sugar on)

I think they were using extra comb to gum up  the feeder. Now pouring the sugar syrup over douglas fur pine cones and bracken.Can you also tell me please what is the white lump on side of honey comb? This one might need feeding throughout Winter. Should I try any fancy additives you can get from Ecroteck?

Any suggestions?

Sorry this was so long 🤐🤐🙂

20200508_075148_copy_776x1380.jpg

20200508_075118_copy_559x807.jpg

• Like 1

What fancy white lump on the side of the wax.

If you mean the round thing in the second photo, then it is the access hole into the syrup feeder.  There is 2 of them.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

What fancy white lump on the side of the wax.

If you mean the round thing in the second photo, then it is the access hole into the syrup feeder.  There is 2 of them.

Oh funny. It was my son that asked me what it was and I didn't look closely enough..

So I take it Trevor Gilbanks that as you removed me from beginners, saw my silly mistake re the white lump and didn't mention anything else, you feel all is in good order. It was probably the use of the hivemats with holes in I was most curious about. It can get awefully cold here and it seemed like a good idea. But optimal hole size? Is 25mm enough? 50mm too big? I probably over think it being a caring Mother ( was going to say hen)😁

• Haha 1

I missed the bit about the hive matt with holes.

No I don't think this is a good idea.  

The honey itself is a good insulator and I would just remove the hive mat.  Put it on top of the honey box.

Let the bees go up into the the honey and move the brood up as they want.  In the spring the bees will all be in the top box and the bottom box will be empty.

Remove the empty box of old frames and put a new box of either clean drawn frames or foundation on top.

Recycle the old frames as per normal.  (Make them new again.)

• Good Info 1

3 hours ago, Wildflower said:

It can get awfully cold here and it seemed like a good idea.

Is this what other locals do? Where did the idea come from?

Surely warm air rising in the hive would simply go through the hole so the affect is minimal unless there is some kind of periscope or entrance tube attached to reach down to cold area near the floor. There may be a higher risk of wax moth and ants in combs that are not being patrolled in the 'other' hive above the hole.

If it really is cold they might starve and die in the cluster without eating the stores above the hole?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Wildflower said:

It can get awefully cold here and it seemed like a good idea.

Howabout asking @Goran nicely how he arranges his snowy winter hives ?

Edited by yesbut

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I missed the bit about the hive matt with holes.

No I don't think this is a good idea.  

The honey itself is a good insulator and I would just remove the hive mat.  Put it on top of the honey box.

Let the bees go up into the the honey and move the brood up as they want.  In the spring the bees will all be in the top box and the bottom box will be empty.

Remove the empty box of old frames and put a new box of either clean drawn frames or foundation on top.

Recycle the old frames as per normal.  (Make them new again.)

So at this stage I have a QE above the two brood boxes. My understanding is you are saying alow bees and Q full acces to honey box and by Spring the honey box will become my top brood box and the bottom box will get

removed. Ta.

22 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Is this what other locals do? Where did the idea come from?

Surely warm air rising in the hive would simply go through the hole so the affect is minimal unless there is some kind of periscope or entrance tube attached to reach down to cold area near the floor. There may be a higher risk of wax moth and ants in combs that are not being patrolled in the 'other' hive above the hole.

If it really is cold they might starve and die in the cluster without eating the stores above the hole?

Thanks. I think this is why I tried to post in the beginners forum. I am still learning.

2 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

I am still learning.

You're not the only one, it's a lifelong thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Howabout asking @Goran nicely how he arranges his snowy winter hives ?

Hey @Goran. Tried to message you but this was not allowed. If yousee this, would love any nice tips. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

So at this stage I have a QE above the two brood boxes. My understanding is you are saying allow bees and Q full access to honey box and by Spring the honey box will become my top brood box and the bottom box will get

removed. Ta.

100%.

Do not leave the QE on, as the bees can move up to the honey box and leave the queen behind.

Are you running all 3/4 boxes now.

1 minute ago, Wildflower said:

Hey @Goran. Tried to message you but this was not allowed.

That is because you have not made a donation to NZ bees.  Which is fine, but you do not get messaging access.

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You're not the only one, it's a lifelong thing.

Don't mind that.😁 Just want to do my best. 🤞

And beside which message discussions of value to the rest of us are not encouraged...keep things public.

• Agree 1

No Trevor.🤪It  clearly states in my post what size boxes are in each hive. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

I am still learning

and so say all of us.

4 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Do not leave the QE on, as the bees can move up to the honey box and leave the queen behind.

Are you running all 3/4 boxes now.

The Easy Beekeeping Manual posted by Tudor is a great resource running along this line.

• Thanks 1

Just now, yesbut said:

And beside which message discussions of value to the rest of us are not encouraged...keep things public.

Happy to pay donation though. This site is invaluable. As long as timid little Wildflower doesn't run away.😂

I don't think I am dim, but certainly wonder what sort of response I may get from my questions.

Just now, ChrisM said:

and so say all of us.

The Easy Beekeeping Manual posted by Tudor is a great resource running along this line.

Have downloaded it at least twice somewhere!!?🤣

3 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Have downloaded it at least twice somewhere!!?

It's free, so download it more times if needed.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

not relevant to Wildflower in this thread, but in passing I would like to point out that according to another active thread, more people would use this it if it cost more. @tudor needs to offer a $40 version of exactly the same thing so people can choose. :) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

not relevant to Wildflower in this thread, but in passing I would like to point out that according to another active thread, more people would use this it if it cost more. @tudor needs to offer a $40 version of exactly the same thing so people can choose. :) 

Strange as it seems, I can understand that.  Sometimes the information is only worth what you pay for it.

11 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It's free, so download it more times if needed.

Thanks Trevor. I will re download. I will remove extra hive mat and QE off of hive #2 and #3. I will continue to post in General Beekeeping so as not to get any more warning points!😲 Even though I sometimes feel dim. And I am now a Gold Member. Donation paid. 👍 Here are my hives....

20200508_131111_copy_2016x1512.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wonderful.  The hives look great.

I am sure the warning will wash off pretty quick.

We/I am always here to answer questions as best I can.

Keep safe and keep warm .

PS.  Get rid of those last F/D boxes, then everything is the same and swapping stuff is easier.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Wonderful.  The hives look great.

I am sure the warning will wash off pretty quick.

We/I am always here to answer questions as best I can.

Keep safe and keep warm .

PS.  Get rid of those last F/D boxes, then everything is the same and swapping stuff is easier.

It is a super strong hive. Might split it next year and try to phase out the FD's. That will be another Q for later. Quickly downloaded Tudors Book. THANKS TUDOR. Will read and review. 🌼

• Like 1

Well done.  Life is a lot easier with 3/4 boxes (or at least 1 size box)

• Like 1