Fleur615

NZBF Co ordinating my varroa treatments

I need some advice please i am trying to co ordinate half of my hives with the other half so i can varroa treat my apiary can be altogether.

Removal of varroa strips in 5 hives was in Febuary .

The others  i removed varroa treatment last weekend April .

How could i go about this please?

Thank you 

What treatments are you using and when.

5 hours ago, Fleur615 said:

I need some advice please i am trying to co ordinate half of my hives with the other half so i can varroa treat my apiary can be altogether.

Removal of varroa strips in 5 hives was in Febuary .

The others  i removed varroa treatment last weekend April .

How could i go about this please?

Thank you 

Hi Trev, its a bit higgledy piggledy at the moment as i purchased several hives to add to my apiary in september they had Bayvarol in them but i treated them again and used Apistan which i removed last weekend my other hives i used Bayvarol and then Apivar ....I would like to organise my varroa control plan so i use the same treatment on all of them at the same time.

Thank you

Posted (edited)

Bayvarol and Apistan are the same product by 2 different companies.  Apivar and Apitraz is another product by 2 companies.

It is best to rotate these 2 products.  

Have you done a varroa count (sugar shake) on any of the hives. 

The hives that you took the treatment out in February could be struggling soon.

I would put Apivar or apitraz in those hives.

Then in about September I would put in Bayvarol or Apistan.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Bayvarol and Apistan are quite old treatments and were used extensively in the UK for a number of years which was fine until colonies started to suffer from varroa again and winter losses increased - as the mite had built up a resistance to the chemicals in them.  Thymol based treatments have been used in the UK for a number of years and I would guess, more or less took over from the Bayvarol/Apistan treatments  - Amitraz based treatments (Apivar and Apitraz) have not been licenced in the UK for that long - I don't know whether resistance will build up to those as well. It's good to have choices to rotate them as Trev says. (I used Bayvarol a couple of years ago and it worked well, so the resistance that varroa had built up had largely disappeared).

You need to stop panicking about varroa treatments.

Yes the best way is to alternate the different treatments.

If you used bayvarol in autumn and all you got in spring is bayvarol then use them, when you go to buy some more treatment then buy another sort.

Your hives will die from you not treating at the right time way quicker than they will die from from you using the same treatment in any calendar/season.

• Agree 3