Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary May 2020

4 hours ago, BRB said:

What do you mean by lost on of his yards?

Had to remove it.  Subdivision development started.

• Sad 1

On 26/05/2020 at 7:35 PM, CraBee said:

Some of them are 3-4km off-road to get in.  I'll tell you a quick story.  About a month ago I had the truck loaded right up, and I went in.  A bk buddy of mine wanted to see the site and he followed me in his (unloaden) ute.  When we got in there we stopped and I asked him what he thought of the trip in.  He mumbled a bit and didn't reply.  I don't think he'll be back.   Jacinda could create quite a few hundred jobs working on that access 🙂

I had a few sites like that, had to go in with a helper a day a year just to keep the track open and always had to take the chainsaw or risk kms or reversing, worst part was the idiots that wrecked the tracks, I carry a 20L bucket of 100mm rock and keep tipping in the ruts if its dodgy.

Fixed my long term sites, only meet A/Ts now😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I had a few sites like that, had to go in with a helper a day a year just to keep the track open and always had to take the chainsaw or risk kms or reversing, worst part was the idiots that wrecked the tracks, I carry a 20L bucket of 100mm rock and keep tipping in the ruts if its dodgy.

Fixed my long term sites, only meet A/Ts now😀

has the big dry made access easier for you this y r?

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

D6933BD4-13CA-4796-AADE-8E7FF0F08A77.jpeg

Nice photo

Yes ....-4c .... that must close the queens down.

Posted (edited)

interesting to see comvita out to raise another $50million on cash from investors. $2.50 a share. Intention looks like being to use the money to pay some bills

"Comvita intends that the proceeds raised from the Offerand Placementwill be applied to paying down debt, thereby buildingresilience and flexibility to support its agendafor profitable growth."

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/CVT/353841/323454.pdf

Edited by tommy dave
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Fed some hives today and then chanced upon this fellow, didn't know quite how to break it to him/her that he/she was not going to fit through that gap!

bbtf.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2020 at 2:59 PM, tommy dave said:

interesting to see comvita out to raise another $50million on cash from investors. $2.50 a share. Intention looks like being to use the money to pay some bills

"Comvita intends that the proceeds raised from the Offerand Placementwill be applied to paying down debt, thereby buildingresilience and flexibility to support its agendafor profitable growth."

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/CVT/353841/323454.pdf

Hahah .... this is corporate beekeeping at it's 'best'.  

Raising share capital to pay out business misadventure and gamble on things being better tomorrow  .... OMG.

Definitely a case of 'caveat emptor'.  

No doubt @yesbut will correct me if I got that wrong.

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 1

On 28/05/2020 at 12:51 PM, kaihoka said:

has the big dry made access easier for you this y r?

Was easier up until now, just about raining every day. Luckily most my sites are easy to get in now and the ones that aren't I just use the side by side setup

10 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Was easier up until now, just about raining every day. Luckily most my sites are easy to get in now and the ones that aren't I just use the side by side setup

So is the northland drought over ?

Posted (edited)

Temps for now around 20C here, bees when feel the short period of sun pour out like they are swarming..

sun.jpg

Now I saw that I missed a month.. oops..

Edited by Goran
Low IQ..
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Goran said:

Now I saw that I missed a month.. oops..

Duct tape comes in handy

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Duct tape comes in handy

Yes, I wait to sell some honey to renew some wooden ware before winter. Firstly I didn't bought in winter because I was hoping to sell some colonies. Since no buyers and bees were growing I had to pull some cracked and faulty boxes from storage cause in this covid-19 all stopped. It was tricky.. Bees were building comb instantly and nicely.

But duct tape really saved me for boxes 🙂

Edited by Goran
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with a bit of duct tape if it makes boxes bee proof.  Handy stuff to have in the vehicle

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 31/05/2020 at 10:11 PM, kaihoka said:

So is the northland drought over ?

Yep, tanks full, been raining every day.

• Like 3