"or maybe it was the frustration of getting wound up in the Bush lawyer. "

Can I ask @jamesc is bush lawyer comb very yellow and the honey easy to extract?  I feel that honey is not appreciated but am I missing something.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wintered down my taranaki apiary and added the autumn varroa treatments yesterday... was supposed to be end March, but at that stage there wasn't enough clarity around what was and wasn't ok re COVID-

Alls quiet on the bee front. Main man comes back next week and we'll crack into wintering bees. Thursday we have the lovely Chantelle coming out to sign off the six monthly audit, which I gu

I always wondered what you looked like james . And now seeing your portrait it all makes sense .

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Can I ask @jamesc is bush lawyer comb very yellow and the honey easy to extract?  I feel that honey is not appreciated but am I missing something.

does lawyer create a surplus ? or is it all consumed  by the bees at that time of yr.

We have a heap of bush lawyer since the possums got sent to their maker.  THis year the bees created comb was a crazy deep gold when the lawyer was flowering but so were other flowers so I cant be sure if it was the bush lawyer.  Just interested if others know.  I personally like the honey colour and taste and it was easy to extract.

• Like 1

To be honest, I have not idea if Bush lawyer provides nectar. What I do know is it wrecked my hunting top and opened up my skin in  multiple lacerations.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Yellow comb? This year I had one hive in an apiary of four draw out three boxes of very yellow comb, none in the others. Have wondered what it could have been and why just the one hive?

On 10/05/2020 at 12:03 PM, tommy dave said:

pic taken about 5:30pm yesterday. Arrived back in wellington just under an hour ago. Bit of chill in the air overnight.

Wintering_down_taranaki_hives_may_2020.PNG

Seeing this mountain in real life is in my bucket list :) 

it’s beautiful :) 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Yellow comb? This year I had one hive in an apiary of four draw out three boxes of very yellow comb, none in the others. Have wondered what it could have been and why just the one hive?

It could be buttercup, ragwort,Fuschia or many other plants, but it won't be clover or southern rata or pohutukawa

Blackberry honey is clear with a greyish sort of look to it. Bees love Bush lawyer but I have never seen the surplus. The way they work it you would have to assume if there was enough that they could get a surplus but on the hand I have had plenty of bees around plenty of lawyer and it hasn't happened for me. There are quite a few different species and subspecies of lawyer including leafless lawyer which is a fascinating plant and deserves to be grown far more as an ornamental. I've never seen it flower but I guess it must do.

I generally associate yellow wax with strongly coloured pollen such as cats ear. Pretty sure lawyer is to sort of grey.

I was always told that the bright orange pollen was what made yellow wax but I don't have anything to back that up and it may well be the honey that colours the wax.  Some very dark honeys have some very like wax.

8 minutes ago, john berry said:

There are quite a few different species and subspecies of lawyer including leafless lawyer which is a fascinating plant and deserves to be grown far more as an . I've never seen it flower but I guess it must do.

Neither have I but I did gather seed off one in March.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, john berry said:

Blackberry honey is clear with a greyish sort of look to it. Bees love Bush lawyer but I have never seen the surplus. The way they work it you would have to assume if there was enough that they could get a surplus but on the hand I have had plenty of bees around plenty of lawyer and it hasn't happened for me. There are quite a few different species and subspecies of lawyer including leafless lawyer which is a fascinating plant and deserves to be grown far more as an ornamental. I've never seen it flower but I guess it must do.

I generally associate yellow wax with strongly coloured pollen such as cats ear. Pretty sure lawyer is to sort of grey.

I was always told that the bright orange pollen was what made yellow wax but I don't have anything to back that up and it may well be the honey that colours the wax.  Some very dark honeys have some very like wax.

I had some lovely tasting honey taken off late March, pale yellow from very yellow wax and cappings, I also thought most likely from cats ear as it was flowering prolifically at the time. Mid Jan extracted very light honey from similarly coloured frames, most likely lotus major as there was a good flowering then that the bees were working keenly.

On 11/05/2020 at 7:39 PM, john berry said:

On a heavy dandelion flow drawn out wax is often bright yellow and my thoughts are in this instance it is the pollen that colours the wax, because I wouldn't call dandelion dark honey.  I note on a heavy brassica flow, generally canola around here, that the wax can be quite white and I am unsure whether this is caused by pollen and/or very light honey.  

• Good Info 1
On 11/05/2020 at 7:09 PM, YTB8TA270 said:

yes i had much the same a bout two years ago, 6 hives and one had very yellow wax, this was in a semi bush block - honey was nice

On 11/05/2020 at 8:26 PM, Philippa Thomas said:

I had some lovely tasting honey taken off late March, pale yellow from very yellow wax and cappings, I also thought most likely from cats ear as it was flowering prolifically at the time. Mid Jan extracted very light honey from similarly coloured frames, most likely lotus major as there was a good flowering then that the bees were working keenly.

i could be wrong, but i always seem to get a darker honey from cats ear,

Just now, kevin moore said:

yes i had much the same a bout two years ago, 6 hives and one had very yellow wax, this was in a semi bush block - honey was nice

i have had that irregularly.

still do not know what it was.

maybe lotus

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

i have had that irregularly.

still do not know what it was.

maybe lotus

haven't seen it again, sure there is no lotus up there

• Thanks 1

Nice @jamesc... nothin like some big open country to feed the soul.. I gotta say that doctor you been using sure has you lookin dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Nice @jamesc... nothin like some big open country to feed the soul.. I gotta say that doctor you been using sure has you lookin dangerous. 

The sunnies were free from the Stihl shop !

Uh Huh ...I have a nice Doctor .....  I talk to him most nights .... he's quite cheap compared to most.

AAh crack up .... I love that photo ...... young fellah caught me in a spiritual moment !

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

The sunnies were free from the Stihl shop !

Uh Huh ...I have a nice Doctor .....  I talk to him most nights .... he's quite cheap compared to most.

AAh crack up .... I love that photo ...... young fellah caught me in a spiritual moment !

I always wondered what you looked like james .

And now seeing your portrait it all makes sense .

• Haha 8

This is the time of year I get my true reward..

freezing off the gumboot clad toes spinning yarns and playing hot potato as we wait for the bus.. quality. 

Won’t be enjoying any bee work for a while with a complete distal bicep tendon rupture to live with but on the bright side... glad it’s happened now and not October. 

5C444CFF-9D16-4E6A-AE4F-8FCD9E53177C.png

• Like 2

I moved a hive into the hakea and as I got it down to one box I looked throughly through the brood .

No cells ropped when I stuck a match in and all uncapped brood was pearly white .

It is a relief .

I hope I looked carefully enough and did not miss an AFB .

The hakea was already full of bees . I am wondering whos . Maybe mine or a local farmers .

We are both about 2.5 klms away from the hakea area .

55 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

We are both about 2.5 klms away from the hakea area .

I bet it 's getting closer every year.

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I bet it 's getting closer every year.

Unfortunately not

The hakea gets overgrown when it moves outside the the really poor soil