Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary May 2020

We’ve had the most beautiful warm sunny days for most of April, cooler at night though. Our farming friends are lacking the rain, dams are still dry and grass is greener but not holding the grass cover normally seen at this time of year.

off to do some boring jobs... bit late starting this morning. It will be lovely to be off the section for a bit :27_sunglasses:

41 minutes ago, Bron said:

We’ve had the most beautiful warm sunny days for most of April, cooler at night though. Our farming friends are lacking the rain, dams are still dry and grass is greener but not holding the grass cover normally seen at this time of year.

off to do some boring jobs... bit late starting this morning. It will be lovely to be off the section for a bit :27_sunglasses:

This morning's weather forecast for the weekend suggests it will absolutely hose down most of the weekend in your neck of the woods, you can but hope they have it right.

Just spent most of my day cleaning out the 10,000L feed tank and sterilised it ready for another load early next week, cant believe I've used 5000L inverted and 600L inverted hivealive in just 2 weeks and still have 150 hives to go after I freight my kanuka in next week

• Like 1

Good job Maru's getting good money for his honey ....eh !

I go back to Bruce's email from Ceracell, which cited  a U tube video of deforestation in South America  in the name of progress.

Bruce asks the question ... will the Covid lockdown be a wake up call and how will we change.

With not offence to all the high value honey producers, but what you produce comes at a cost ...... landowner payments, sugar from goodness knows where grown on land that once supported wildlife and sucked in Monoxide , helicopters .....

And Trev .... this Co vid thing .... I would suggest we need to prime our brains that we are in for the .long haul.

Just because we in God'z'Own have moved to level 3 , and possibly may go to 2 sooner rather than later , I see no reason to Kowtow to tourism operators crying poverty and push to open the overseas border to tourists  from who knows where who will very quickly destroy all we have been staunch to achieve. 

A day hanging on the end of the chainsaw brings out a sort of cantakerousness .... or maybe it was the frustration of getting wound up in the Bush lawyer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've decided my status as a pensioner dependent on other peoples tax disqualifies me from commenting. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Agree totally regarding tourists.

Our country has been trampled and trod on for too long time to take a break and give the land rivers and sea some  time to recover.

I would love to see an end to the “freedom campers” living in cars and the hoards of people charging all over the place looking for the next Instagram opportunity. 

My heart totally agrees

....but what are all those tourism workers going to be employed as?

Already there is talk of 'shovel ready' projects. Most of those don't respect the environment.

13 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I should have been in Brisbane on holiday now.

was supposed to have been touching down in germany 15 April for nine weeks to sort out all sort of life stuff. Key subjects: pregnancy, location, decisions, life...

virus sucks eh

8 hours ago, Mummzie said:

My heart totally agrees

....but what are all those tourism workers going to be employed as?

Already there is talk of 'shovel ready' projects. Most of those don't respect the environment.

Most are on working visa. Probably return home. 

Agree with @frazzledfozzle, reduce cheap frill tourism. Add Value! Less visitors but same return. 

Bit like our non M.

• Agree 1

I am still in disbelief that my decision 45 yrs ago to live a low consumption alternative lifestyle has been validated over night by a microscopic organism.

But I just can not see this lifestyle being taken up by the general population if there is a choice.

It is an inconvenient way of life and you have to be pretty idealistic or slightly crazy to stick with it.

This is just a temporary reality check until humans revert to their wasteful ways .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

A lot of the closed down paper mills need to be fired up again, as the covid  pandemic, if nothing else has educated us to the unlimited market for rolls of dunny paper worldwide, so rather that exporting logs, turn it into manufactured product.

I would far rather people were doing that than prostituting our natural areas, and it really bugs me to go somewhere, and having to stand back and let these people take their photos to prove they have been somewhere without hardly a glance around them.

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am still in disbelief that my decision 45 yrs ago to live a low consumption alternative lifestyle has been validated over night by a microscopic organism.

But I just can not see this lifestyle being taken up by the general population if there is a choice.

It is an inconvenient way of life and you have to be pretty idealistic or slightly crazy to stick with it.

This is just a temporary reality check until humans revert to their wasteful ways .

That may be true, but up here, many of the Marie Condo crowd who had cleared out everything they thought was not essential because they were so busy out and about, suddenly found that all the old family games and sports sets would have been very handy during level 4.

• Like 1

Got my last 5 7m Loads of metal today putting the total at 105m3 this season, 3 culverts in, a servicing stand, a hiab truck,my class 2, 50 blue feeders,50 paraffin wax dipped queen excluders 50 Full depth boxes also paraffin wax dipped, re-painted my shed floor and a bull bar for the work beast sums up some of this seasons accomplishments, been a really big year had to work my arse off,,,

Still have 108 hives left to service after I take in 730 boxes to the extraction plant starting 6am

Hopefully I can take 12 pallets in a day then I'll get a 2 week holliday at the end of the month😁

Looking forward to a lower back massage once the covid things over.

• Like 4

Thankfully the weather's not the greatest, 12 pallets in today and the next few days aren't looking too great either so that's me.

Got my sugar syrip coming tomorrow ready for 

The fine weather

• Like 1

@Maru Hoani find time (lol) some yoga.

Tis fire season. Think permits still. This one gets stoked in the evening over last 3 days. Suck being down wind. 

DSC_0582_copy_1376x774.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_20200505_172518_copy_1376x774.jpg

AFB pit .....?

Anyway .....  having been newly promoted to 'Commercial' I thought I 'd better get out during the week and do a bit of work. So zipped down the road to pull strips from a yard we pulled out of the dew a month ago because it was too close to the shed and the bees were hammering the shed.

I was curious to see how the populations looked , as I had swept up a heck of a lot of dead bees from beneath the shed fan during the frenzy.

So I pulled strips, diseased checked and. checked feed. Most had  a full box of honey on. I pulled the excluders and let the queen have the opportunity to roam in both boxes. She was still actively laying eggs and raising brood.

If I saw the queen I dumped a few hundred bees into the alcohol wash jar .

I didn't see any mites.

Between the rain showers .... it was an enjoyable afternoon. I could get the hang of being a commercial.

85746ACF-F69F-46CA-BB8E-577DE6A41A46.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

AFB pit .....?

Ha ha.  Where's the black smoke from petrol.  Maybe dead out hives?

• Like 1

I,m gonna find that photo of @BRS and his little Red Morri ...!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

We can't wait.  Perhaps a framed photo could be added to first prize (1 kg of queen candy) of the pumpkin comp (or other suitable vegetable) homegrown

Edited by Maggie James
  • Sad 1

On 1/05/2020 at 8:37 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Well, April is all done and dusted and would have to be the most unusual month of my life.

Let's see what May has to bring.

I should have been in Brisbane on holiday now. But I got caught up with Hone's illegal road block and have been told to return to my place of residence.

When are we going to get over this covid 19. It has been Eliminated or eradicated or still running, who would know.

Anyway.  Have fun and get on with life and don't take things too seriously.  After all, no one get out of life alive.

The first post I have read, when I addopted General Beekeeping as my go to! Didn't learn much about bees. But maybe ( thanks to Trev) It gave me the feeling I was joining the pack.🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildflower said:

The first post I have read, when I addopted General Beekeeping as my go to! Didn't learn much about bees. But maybe ( thanks to Trev) It gave me the feeling I was joining the pack.🤣

You canna beat an informative friendly pack

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

@Maru Hoani find time (lol) some yoga.

Tis fire season. Think permits still. This one gets stoked in the evening over last 3 days. Suck being down wind. 

DSC_0582_copy_1376x774.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_20200505_172518_copy_1376x774.jpg

Looks like the sort of fires my mum would light in her back yard when she had had a falling out with one of her neighbours .

He got her back once  by burning a couch near the fence .

• Haha 6

B83878F3-2ADE-4536-9557-30C26AC587F4.jpeg

Seems like the weather has been great all over the place.

I'm wondering how to tie in with @Dennis Crowley and APINZ re. honey marketing ...... something along the lines of  .....'from the Land of the Long White Cloud , comes some of the worlds tastiest beef, fed some of the worlds purest honey ' ..... 

Perhaps piggyback the marketing on an  Angus Pure marketing campaign, or tie in with Silver Fern Farms who are very proactive overseas .....

Not sure about Phil's Mitre 10 bucket ..... Earlydays yet, eh. 

• Like 1