Shaun

Handling heavy boxes

1 hour ago, tristan said:

broken brood frames get lifted up into supers

It is very rare for me to put brood frames through the extraction plant. I don't want brood frames compromising my lab results. 

I produce light honeys, so me putting a frame in the bottom brood box as the outer frame, it gets removed in spring when the contents have been consumed.

Each to their own.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

no such thing as minimum quota with me. only rule in extraction is "go faster".

The two extraction plants I have used in the past schedule their production; one in boxes, one in drums filled.  They have been around a long time and know exactly what a good contract staff member can deal with.  Once again each to their own.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

What gear do you like @jamo mainly re pricker and extractor and wax separator?

We have a semi auto boujtela pricker that is an older one but has been reprogrammed with new plc. It is a very good machine. While an automatic pricker might be nice I don't think that we put through enough honey to justify the cost or the hassles when the semi can do 200 plus boxes day, day after day with virtually not issues.

Our extractor is a 16 fm beetech. Great machine, done heaps of boxes over the years. Have done a few little mods to it but overall very minimal maintanance. They are unfortunately not available new any more and if anyone wants to sell one I want to buy one.

Wax separation is where we do things a little different to most. We have a French built wax press under our uncapper which gets virtually all of the honey out of the wax but not all of the wax out of the honey. The honey from the press joins the honey from the extractor and goes through a heat exchanger then goes into a selfcleaning wedge wire filter from hd process. This has a 100 micron slot type screen which is not the same as a 100 micron mesh but gets the honey pretty good. We had to significantly modify it to get it working reliably but it is now brilliant. The new filters from hd work quite differently and are probably much better. when working with a press  the porrage from the filter goes back into the press by simply opening a valve for as long as it takes to prick 1 or 2 frames every 10 minutes or so. The filter is a closed unit and requires no cleaning. It is simply turned on in the morning and off when you finish. It wasn't always this easy but it is now.

Before the self cleaning filter we had one of the original beetech spinfloats which worked ok when running with the press under the uncapper and did not need to cut much wax. This spinfloat is still in the corner of my shed and is for sale if anyone wants it. 

This year I added a filter bag housing inline after my thermalizer / pasturizer heat exchanger and with a 400 micron bag puts through 100 drums between filter cleans and could do more.

Pumps are a mix of flexible vein mencerali. Sliding vein boutelja. And progressive cavity. They all have their pros and cons and are matched to their applications. 

Few other bits and pieces like dryer, mixing tank, wax melter, deboxer. Quite a few $ of Shiney stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

15 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Pumps are a mix of flexible vein mencerali. Sliding vein boutelja. And progressive cavity.

Imagines collapsing vein spaghetti.  (sorry)

31 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Our extractor is a 16 fm beetech. Great machine, done heaps of boxes over the years. Have done a few little mods to it but overall very minimal maintanance. They are unfortunately not available new any more and if anyone wants to sell one I want to buy one.

if we upgrade ours i'll let you know. fatique is starting to set into the baskets. the amount we are doing is really pushing it to the limits.

but otherwise they are a great machine. i would much prefer to get rid of Boutelje's.

35 minutes ago, Jamo said:

We have a semi auto boujtela pricker that is an older one but has been reprogrammed with new plc. It is a very good machine.

well except the needle banks are missing half the needles and that the design flaw of the backwoulds cam plate which means the compressed air cylinder runs the wrong way. O.o 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tristan said:

fatique is starting to set into the baskets.

Is this something we should all worry about ?

• Haha 1

On 22/04/2020 at 6:42 AM, yesbut said:

I strongly recommend cleats....Mine are 20mm thick, they  make a big difference. Bigger would be even better.  Screwing cleats on to line up with the existing rebate handles would be one answer.

can we have a photo?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kelley said:

Re handling of heavy boxes. I am about to import this neat lifter ADVERT REMOVED

Small hive lifter 3.jpg

Struth cobber, we're kiwi's, we spin full honey boxes around on the tip of our index finger, conquer the world climbing high mountains, we're all mini versions of Barry Crump with-out the domestic issues, that machine might look alright in a car-park, not so sure about on one of my sites, might get a flat tyre!

Edited by Mummzie
Advert
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, CraBee said:

Struth cobber, we're kiwi's, we spin full honey boxes around on the tip of our index finger, conquer the world climbing high mountains, we're all mini versions of Barry Crump with-out the domestic issues, that machine might look alright in a car-park, not so sure about on one of my sites, might get a flat tyre!

I agree.

Looks great in the back yard and on the videos.

I am not sure I would want to drag it around a bee yard.

Also, look at the space it would take on your vehicle.

8 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I agree.

Looks great in the back yard and on the videos.

I am not sure I would want to drag it around a bee yard.

Also, look at the space it would take on your vehicle.

Yes it looks a solid unit, I'm not sure how widely lifters like this are used in NZ.  For me at least it wouldn't be practical, could suit some others though.

• Like 1

Could be good for shifting motorbikes around in a confined basement

• Haha 2

If the box is too heavy do what my friend Dee Lusby does in the US. she takes each frame seperatly and not the whole box. Also take it off before it is capped over depending on the weather conditions in the previous week.

Just now, Bighands said:

If the box is too heavy do what my friend Dee Lusby does in the US. she takes each frame seperatly and not the whole box. Also take it off before it is capped over depending on the weather conditions in the previous week.

She needs to do that as she needs the other hand to swat her killer bees away

• Agree 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Dennis Crowley said:

She needs to do that as she needs the other hand to swat her killer bees away

That is rubbish. I worked those bee for a month. Yes they are aggressive  but they have to be to survive where they are. Her bees were tested for the wing morphology by Ruttner in Germany and the did not have the characteristics of the Aficanised bee. No different to the AMM crosses.

• Like 1

That hive lifter is a great Hungarian model, however I am not sure either if it'll work without issues on our terrain(i.e. my apiary in all on a angle. I'll be difficult to use a ute + crane too).

Meanwhile there is a German beekeeper who makes lifters too and he has a model that he claims it is good for rough terrain(I can't find his website). This model has an accessory(metal frame with castors) to use it as a drum lifter in the honey house.

19 hours ago, Bighands said:

Yes they are aggressive  but they have to be to survive where they are

My point exactly, I didn't say Africanised bees.

On 6/05/2020 at 5:49 PM, CraBee said:

That lifter looks a lot like the old Ward Loader.  Good for both hives and stacks of honey boxes.  Driven by someone who was careful, it was very efficient.  But as someone said, prone to have problems if the site was not level...

WardBarrow.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 1