New Zealand packages a no-go this spring for Canada

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Import packages are always a big hit and miss after the trip halfway around the world.  We usually plan on losing at least one or two when we get them.   I got 10 this year, one had queen de

After a 2+ decade process perfecting a system of getting your fall produced packages to Canada this time of year, the rug was pulled out from underneath the Canadian and New Zealand beekeepers...no pa

New to the site, but I can comment on this.  I'm on Vancouver Island, I got 10 NZ packages this spring on March 8.  Mine were of the Kintail variety in the square shipping boxes.  I know others that g

Posted Images

So far Beemaid Coop in Alberta is sticking to their story that they couldn't supply...just checked again with them yesterday...think they supply about 8000 packages to this area. Beemaid says that it is an issue of air freight charges...in the past there was always return flights from Canada to NZ after the bees had been landed in Vancouver. Now a bee charter flight would require a two-way fee...making the packages unaffordable.

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 1
  • 4 months later...

New to the site, but I can comment on this.  I'm on Vancouver Island, I got 10 NZ packages this spring on March 8.  Mine were of the Kintail variety in the square shipping boxes.  I know others that got a bunch shortly after I got mine, Aritaki variants that come in the tubes.  I can say with some good certainty, at least two palettes of the Kintail packages made it to the Island this year, and a similar amount of Aritaki were in the lower mainland of BC before the flights stopped.

With that said, there was a significant kafuffle with our shipment, originally we were supposed to get it a few days earlier.  My understanding was, at the last minute shipper couldn't get them on the flight, not sure why because Flightaware showed the plane did come to Vancouver, so the bees spent a couple extra days in the packages before we got them.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gerry said:

New to the site, but I can comment on this.  I'm on Vancouver Island, I got 10 NZ packages this spring on March 8.  Mine were of the Kintail variety in the square shipping boxes.  I know others that got a bunch shortly after I got mine, Aritaki variants that come in the tubes.  I can say with some good certainty, at least two palettes of the Kintail packages made it to the Island this year, and a similar amount of Aritaki were in the lower mainland of BC before the flights stopped.

With that said, there was a significant kafuffle with our shipment, originally we were supposed to get it a few days earlier.  My understanding was, at the last minute shipper couldn't get them on the flight, not sure why because Flightaware showed the plane did come to Vancouver, so the bees spent a couple extra days in the packages before we got them.

Welcome to the forum @Gerry.

How did the bees work out for you after the extra 2 days.

So Gerry, I guess you have Varroa on the island.I know when i worked in Canada in 98 I do'nt think you had varroa then,. The only province in Canada without varroa. It is great to get all the information from you.

We have had varroa here on Vancouver island as along as I've been keeping bees (11 years now).  Newfoundland is still varroa free and folks are making noise about how to keep it that way.

• Good Info 2
  • 1 month later...

So some follow up on the subject of packages this year and next.

I was at a bee club meeting last night, our rep to the Canadian Honey Council was giving a report.  Apparently there will be a problem shipping palettes of packages again next spring.  What we were told is, on the airline schedules they have posted for that time frame there is only room for 2 palettes a week.  Not sure where that will end up, from March thru May that would be capacity to ship 24 palettes of packages, but the typical year runs 80, so there is going to be an issue moving bees from NZ to Canada again in your fall, our spring.

• Good Info 2

Thanks @Gerry.

This is all part of the battle many businesses face as the result of Covid and reveals how interconnected our economies are. Its all very well to be sitting in a corner of the country enjoying the lack of tourists, but its making life hard for a number of others.

• Like 1