I am starting to feel like a failure as I seem to be the only one on the forum with zero ability to weld anything. Normally if I want something I just build it out of wood but if I absolutely need something made from metal I either pay for it or if it's a small job I have a tame engineer who loves a taste of my manuka comb honey. My uncle Russell Berry tried to teach me  welding in my youth but welding and backing trailers seems to have been left of my DNA strands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only half of what it is now. Pasturizer, dryer and final filter. Vacume chamber was built by pros but rest was me and father in law and has had a few changes over the years.

Another Fitter/Machinist here. I have a 250amp single phase Mig (15amp plug but needs 20amp for full power) in the shed that I haven't used for years (I've had it since new nearly 30 years)

its not worth getting a mig for one job. $1000-1500 for the mig, 130 for gas, plus wire etc. a 200 amp stick welder your looking at $500 + rods.  

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, john berry said:

I am starting to feel like a failure as I seem to be the only one on the forum with zero ability to weld anything

5 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

there are many of us whose eyes glaze over on these threads.......

When it's over my head with practical skills, I always think about the things that I have achieved that others have not achieved

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Shaun said:

Another Fitter/Machinist here.

I have a 250amp single phase Mig (15amp plug but needs 20amp for full power) in the shed that I haven't used for years (I've had it since new nearly 30 years)

Reason, the roll of wire starts to rust and the machine doesn't run smoothly. (I always used .8 wire for home based single phase welding)

About 8 years ago I replaced my old stick and tig machines with a combo HF so I could also do Ali welding. I mostly use 3.2 or 2.5  gp stick for projects and repairs.

Below was the last major project with the stick welder.

IMG_20180921_145850.jpg

WP_20180829_12_30_58_Pro.jpg

IMG_20191013_062114.jpg

@shaun how do you find that quicklift crane?

43 minutes ago, john berry said:

I am starting to feel like a failure as I seem to be the only one on the forum with zero ability to weld anything.

i'm actually fairly new to it. i have tons of family who can weld, even some that do it for a living, who normally do it for me.  yet i'm self taught. go fiqure.

but then again i do more types of welding and probably have more welders than them. LOL

but wood.....not for me. that takes a level of craftmanship that i do not have.

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

@shaun how do you find that quicklift crane?

I've had the 050 quicklift for 5 years now. It certainly has its limitations and its very basic quality with a number of issues/repairs over the years.

Having said that I've done pollination for the last 4 years single handed with the crane doing the lifting. In short its been worth every cent I paid for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

@Shaun sweet set up .So thats 20 hives you can travel with? How far down the trailer,does the crane reach?

14 on the ute and 24 on the trailer (38 hives total), the crane only has 2.4m reach so only the first two rows on the trailer.

I've been looking at my options to upgrade the crane to overcome some of the limitations of the 050 quicklift (speed, reach and quality/reliability)'

The option that I like is the Maxilift 110 it is however 3 x the price that I paid for the 050. So the 050 has to do at least another season. That means getting the powerpack out and fixing the oil leak.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Shaun said:

the crane only has 2.4m reach so only the first two rows on the trailer.

ah, so you accidentally made the trailer three times bigger than you needed? :) 

Jumbo boxes looking great though.

• Like 1
On 19/04/2020 at 9:48 PM, Alastair said:

Winter job, putting the eziloader on a trailer.

This I want to see a photo diary of Alastair! I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing for quite a while. 

On 19/04/2020 at 9:50 PM, tristan said:

with stick bad welds look bad.

My boat trailer is testament to this...

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 4:46 PM, olbe said:

@phil46 my father in law had one of those welders from new - it came with 10 amp plug he used it for years with no issues

yer we had one on the farm many years ago. only 10 amp plug, i would wield all day some times, things never got hot.

they are a good old work horse as far as i'am concerned,

i currently use a cheapee 130 mig, gasless this i find does alot of the wielding i need to do,

keep this post going i'am finding it very interesting,

On 23/04/2020 at 6:29 PM, john berry said:

I am starting to feel like a failure as I seem to be the only one on the forum with zero ability to weld anything. Normally if I want something I just build it out of wood but if I absolutely need something made from metal I either pay for it or if it's a small job I have a tame engineer who loves a taste of my manuka comb honey. My uncle Russell Berry tried to teach me  welding in my youth but welding and backing trailers seems to have been left of my DNA strands.

your not alone there, some of my stick wields i feel a blob of bubble gum would hold and look better

• Like 1

i'm probably wrong. its just most welders go up to 140 amp on 10amp sockets, there is a few special ones that will go a bit more (PFC). i have seen them charge about double the price for those models which imho is a rip off.

it could be the VA curve of the transformer (as amps go up volts go down) that causes power usuage to be low for the amps. tho tranformers are usually a lot more inefficent.

or they simply had different rules back then. i have no idea. 

however an old transformer stick welder beats a flux core welder any day.

• Like 1

@Shaun To me,thats a nice size trailer with a nice even amount of hives to handle for the' loner' semi commercial.Pity about the reach of crane,however Im guessing the hives slide easily enough for you to place the rearmost hives.I could fit an extra 6  hives on the back of my flatdeck,which would then determine my biggest apiary would consist of 30 hives.

Any crane has got to better than none when youre on your own.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

@Shaun To me,thats a nice size trailer with a nice even amount of hives to handle for the' loner' semi commercial.Pity about the reach of crane,however Im guessing the hives slide easily enough for you to place the rearmost hives.I could fit an extra 6  hives on the back of my flatdeck,which would then determine my biggest apiary would consist of 30 hives.

Any crane has got to better than none when youre on your own.

Thank you.

The crane fitted my budget at the time and the trailer fits around the orchards that I do, though I do have to be careful as I have had to winch the trailer sideways to get around a dead man on a tight corner.

The trailer and ute decks are both single sheets of "Truck deck ply" no joins for catching the hive feet when I slide them around. Sliding the hives is easy enough when they are light (no honey) but really gives me a work out when they have a box of honey or the trailer is on a slope the wrong way. 

Before I built this trailer I had the experience of using  both a smaller and larger trailer that were not really suitable, that plus a good friend with pollination experience advised a mid sized.

IMG_20191118_200640.jpg

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2020 at 9:34 PM, Alastair said:

Tristan, I'd like to take you up on that offer if your welder is a MIG. If it's a stick, well I've done plenty of that. How about drop me a pm. 🙂

If anyone is wondering why I'm so hung up on a MIG, it's just that the last few jobs I've had done (cos my own little cheapo won't do it), I've watched how easily they get a lovely looking weld, I'd like to move into that.

@Alastair cruised on up for a visit.

had to cut short the bee talk to get some welding done ;) 

his welder was a small transformer welder which i think has an undersized transformer that wasn't putting out enough voltage. i didn't test it but i suspect low OCV.

hard to start an arc and would not run 6011's at all. night and day difference even compared to my little cheap bunnings inverter.

rigged up the mig for a run. had a bit of trouble dialling it in, mind you i havn't used it for a year. however thats a really good example of the issue in using migs for small jobs now and then. spend more time setting it up and dialing it in than actually doing the job.

many thanks for the scrap, i've been out using it practising as my stick skills are horribly rusty and needed some work.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

@Shaun what sort of brake setup did you use on this trailer?

4 wheel electric drum, controller in the cab for adjustment and override. I often run down big hills with a bit of trailer only brakes activated from the cab controller.

I spent a lot of time (Like a year) and money trying to put together a hydraulic disk system (5 stud Landcruiser) when a good friend of mine said "just build it" and get the benefit of the trailer and stop trying to design a perfect solution.  

• Like 2

i'm not a fan of electric drums.

lower performance, over heating, more maintenance. need controller setup for each vehicle. the electrics is the most common failure on trailers.

over ride hydraulic disks perform really well. tho nz low tech spring only couplings do not help. 

one crowd has started converting UK spring and dampener couplings to hydraulic to use them with hydraulic disks. 

6 hours ago, tristan said:

i'm not a fan of electric drums.

lower performance, over heating, more maintenance. need controller setup for each vehicle. the electrics is the most common failure on trailers.

Yes I hear you, I spent time and money trying to get the components for a hydraulic disk setup that used 5 stud landcruiser and meet the legal requirements for 3.5T 

Short of a total custom build...

Hence the electric 

10 minutes ago, Shaun said:

and meet the legal requirements for 3.5T 

yes, that makes it tricky.

those electric/air over hydraulic units get pretty pricey.

btw that UK one i mentioned is 3.5 ton with breakaway system.

thats why i would like to be able to get USA couplings here as they have the same setup. spring and absorber inertia braking with breakaway system.