Alastair

Welder Question

This question is for any expert welders out there.

I'm a reasonably good arc welder but have never done MIG or TIG. However I'm about to make a trailer modification and looking to buy a MIG welder to do the job. After I buy the welder I'll have to figure out how to use it.

Am looking at this one. Yes it's a cheapy but it is uneconomic to go the whole hog and pay thousands for a professional one. And I only have single phase power. So will this one be adequate for working on a trailer, welding up to 5 mm plate? It will have to be good strong welds.

https://www.bestdeals.co.nz/online-all-in-one-dc-inverter-welder-mig-mag-tig-arc-mma-gas-gasless-2t-4t-welding-23881.html?aid=1001&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyur0BRDcARIsAEt86IB-aGGqG3zcxlgCLjD4kbhwBTaHba9d577uiL7b98h6-9sqlqW05QUaAr6dEALw_wcB

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I'm a reasonably good arc welder but have never done MIG or TIG. However I'm about to make a trailer modification and looking to buy a MIG welder to do the job. After I buy the welder I'll have to figure out how to use it.

Am looking at this one. Yes it's a cheapy but it is uneconomic to go the whole hog and pay thousands for a professional one. And I only have single phase power. So will this one be adequate for working on a trailer, welding up to 5 mm plate? It will have to be good strong welds.

https://www.bestdeals.co.nz/online-all-in-one-dc-inverter-welder-mig-mag-tig-arc-mma-gas-gasless-2t-4t-welding-23881.html?aid=1001&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyur0BRDcARIsAEt86IB-aGGqG3zcxlgCLjD4kbhwBTaHba9d577uiL7b98h6-9sqlqW05QUaAr6dEALw_wcB

short answer is no. its a fake.

why not just use a stick welder?

its far more suitable for the job. you know how to use it. no bottles of gas etc.

if you havn't got one, there plenty of ok inverter stick welders for a lot less than that crappy mig.

Edited by tristan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Tristan appreciate that, I got to ask though, how do you know it's a fake? I won't need gas if using it as a MIG.

I have a cheapy stick welder but it's not grunty enough to get good penetration on the steel i'll use for this job. So stick or whichever way I go I will have to upgrade, and wondering if this MIG would be an improvement.

Go to BOC or Tradezone  and they will sort you out a welder that will suit what you want to do, I would use an Arc/Stick, rather than Mig, unless you are proficient in Mig welding. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

37 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Thanks Tristan appreciate that, I got to ask though, how do you know it's a fake? I won't need gas if using it as a MIG.

I have a cheapy stick welder but it's not grunty enough to get good penetration on the steel i'll use for this job. So stick or whichever way I go I will have to upgrade, and wondering if this MIG would be an improvement.

the specs are highly inflated. theres been a few of them on TM. 300 amp welders that work off a 10amp lead etc.

its pretty common with Chinese junk, they just make the display read a  lot higher than it really is. 

for a mig, look to spend $1k minimum. (with a few exceptions).

mig requires gas.

gasless flux core is a big can of worms. frankly your better off with stick.

do you have a 15 amp power socket?

theres is not much heavy steel used on a trailer and most of it is welded to thin steel anyway.

what part and what joint configuration?

the whole point with mig is that its good for high volume work.

it does have draw backs and one major one is its really easy to make good looking welds that fall off.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

OK I'll believe you. 😳

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up Tristan, and Russ, could have saved me from getting a lemon. 👍

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

OK ... I gotta be careful here cause The Mods are stalking , so I'll tone the language down .

Bother.... I just threw a stick welder in the hole. I was given it by an old New Found Mate who likes to shoot hares here. He retrieved it out of a hole and thought I might have a use for it. I couldn't get it to work very well, so after another mate brought up a MIG welder he didn't need , and all of a sudden I found I could weld quite well,  the old one went in the hole.

It's still there if yah need it.

But the MIG does a very nice job .

Appreciate the offer James. However if it doesn't work very well I may be better to pass i have no idea how to fix these things. Back when I learned to weld, stick and acetylene were the only ways to weld, I don't think MIG and TIG had been invented then. I have not progressed but am now keen to drag myself into this century, and give MIG a try, if I can get into that without breaking the bank.

So a non site member who reads the site has a MIG for sale, he's sent me a couple of pics. I have googled this welder but it was purchased 8 years ago from TradeZone and doesn't seem to be any info on it now. Here's the pics, anyone know anything about it? It comes only with a gasless wire MIG torch, i'd have to buy a gas one.

1848724327_MIG1.JPG.04dc7dc9d185a568958428d1b696a996.JPG2016072165_MIG2.thumb.JPG.696b6898b9b16adf61daf10208dcec7e.JPG

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I don't think MIG and TIG had been invented then.

I did my apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner over 50 years ago and MIG and TIG were available then and they were not new at that stage.

Of course the main welding was done with stick welders.  I would suggest that you buy a decent 180 amp stick welder from one of the reputable traders such as BOC gas.  180 amp is more than you need for 5mm plate but it will have the extra power that the next machine down will not have.  It takes a lot of power to burn a welding electrode.

Talk to them about inverters as they are a lot smoother to weld with, than the old dungers we used to use.

I would not buy a gasless MIG

Like bee suits, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Here's the pics, anyone know anything about it? It comes only with a gasless wire MIG torch, i'd have to buy a gas one.

looks like a typical razor mig. ok brand. little light on amps tho.

not sure what you mean by gasless wire mig torch as you use a standard mig torch for gasless.

biggest issue is if hes still got the hard wire rollers.

however stick welder much preferred especially for outdoor welding.

once this covid mess is cleared a bit your welcome to come try mine.

My old hand me down tig must be almost 30 years old and has done a lot of work. Back in the spring it started to smoke when I used it so I decided that it was time to enter the 21st century and get a high frequency unit. Took a bit of getting used to but way better machine. Should have got one years ago.

Posted (edited)

Stick or Mig Jamo?

The gasless was i think a misunderstanding, he said it comes with a gasless wire mig torch, now he has emailed to say the torch can run gasless or gas. (He is reading this thread). The welder itself can run gas but does not have a bottle.

Trevor I did not know you were trained in this, you are saying get a 180 amp, this is 165, you think that drop will be significant? I will take your advice. Other question, will a 180 A MIG welder get the same penetration as a 180 A stick welder?

Tristan, I'd like to take you up on that offer if your welder is a MIG. If it's a stick, well I've done plenty of that. How about drop me a pm. 🙂

If anyone is wondering why I'm so hung up on a MIG, it's just that the last few jobs I've had done (cos my own little cheapo won't do it), I've watched how easily they get a lovely looking weld, I'd like to move into that.

Edited by Alastair

Photo of a few mid season modifications. Very useful being able to weld especially when changes or repairs need to happen "now".

Screenshot_20200419-212420.png

• Like 3

What the heck is that ?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Photo of a few mid season modifications. Very useful being able to weld especially when changes or repairs need to happen "now".

looks like your stainless welding is way better than mine.😎

Edited by tristan

Posted (edited)

Wow Jamo that is a work of art!

In fact I have no idea what it is, but whatever it is, it's a work of art. 😄

5 hours ago, tristan said:

theres is not much heavy steel used on a trailer and most of it is welded to thin steel anyway.

what part and what joint configuration?

Winter job, putting the eziloader on a trailer. It's more complex than putting it on a truck deck so I'd rather do it myself than pay megabucks to an engineer. Long as I can get a suitable welder. There will be at least some 5 mm plate and the welds will have to be solid.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Tristan, I'd like to take you up on that offer if your welder is a MIG. If it's a stick, well I've done plenty of that. How about drop me a pm. 🙂

If anyone is wondering why I'm so hung up on a MIG, it's just that the last few jobs I've had done (cos my own little cheapo won't do it), I've watched how easily they get a lovely looking weld, I'd like to move into that.

lol, i have every welder.

don't get to hung up on pretty welds. one lesson i learnt the hard way (by testing it) is that you an do beautiful welds that get zero penetration with mig.

with stick bad welds look bad.

7 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Stick or Mig Jamo?

Old machine was a tig/stick and was replaced by a tig/stick. I can do everything that I want to with this as I don't build large amounts of big stuff but will one day get myself a mig. Best thing about not having a mig is I don't get little bits of molten metal falling in my gumboots. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jamo said:

Best thing about not having a mig is I don't get little bits of molten metal falling in my gumboots. 

or sparks burning your hair on your head !

• Haha 1

OK Tristan let's set this up.

I've got plenty spare time now but I know you are probably a busy man once back to work. So soon as the lockdown is over drop me a line and say when you could host me for an hour or so and teach me what you know. It will also be good to meet up and put a face to the name. 🙂

7 minutes ago, tristan said:

looks like your stainless welding is way better than mine.😎

I can assure you that I have not always been a good welder. Plenty of my welds from 10, 15, 20 years ago about the place to remind me what I used to be like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

OK Tristan let's set this up.

I've got plenty spare time now but I know you are probably a busy man once back to work. So soon as the lockdown is over drop me a line and say when you could host me for an hour or so and teach me what you know. It will also be good to meet up and put a face to the name. 🙂

in the mean time there is a ton of good utube video's for you to binge watch.

i recommend welding tips and tricks, weld.com and the fabrication series.

getting your head around all the mig settings and techniques takes some doing.

• Good Info 1

5 minutes ago, tristan said:

or sparks burning your hair on your head !

Welding is a bit like beekeeping, you have to be ok with a little pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Welding is a bit like beekeeping, you have to be ok with a little pain.

so true, lost count of the burns already.

19 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Winter job, putting the eziloader on a trailer.

just a thought, is the trailer galvanised? if so stick for sure.

even better if you can use cellulose rods.

Edited by tristan