BSB

Apiculture NZ showing its worth?

I am not a member currently ( although I have been in the past)...just wondering if the feeling was that Apiculture NZ was showing its/some worth in the covid-19 situation?

Their lobbying had to be helpful in getting beekeepers essential business status and likely saved me a hell of a lot of hives. Not being able to fold down and feed mating units would mean a bloodbath for my bees. 

They will naturally be keen to talk up the part that they played but some credit might be due. Any thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Whilst I understand your sentiments.  It was a triple thrust to Government with ApiNZ, NZ Beekeeping and SNI Beekeeping putting a united face on the situation.

I also think this show of Unity within the Industry is a great thing and shows potential going forward.

I hope so, anyway.

Good luck Trevor

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I hope so, anyway.

Same.

All my life, beekeepers have been the most fractious gruop of people, and have never had a united front, ever. Not 50 years ago, not now.

Which is why I rarely bother to attend feild days and the like.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Same.

All my life, beekeepers have been the most fractious gruop of people, and have never had a united front, ever. Not 50 years ago, not now.

Which is why I rarely bother to attend feild days and the like.

"gruop" ??? What the heck is a gruop ?  I can see my new job's not going to be a walk in the park !

• Haha 3

Hey Alastair was that supposed to be a fractious group or maybe a fractious grump or was it just meant to be a fractious grope ?

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Gru = something to do with Russian military intelligence.  I guess op is something to do with operative or operation.  

So do we have have a Russian military intelligence operation on our hands?

I guess that makes a change from a Trump operation. 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 2

Fractious Grope:   "An unwelcome attempt at intimacy resulting in a fractured skull".

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, olbe said:

fractious grope

Luckily for me, I have never incurred this!

I think it means an unruly grope.  Skull or no skull.

Edited by Maggie James

And we haven't even started on "feild" yet !

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

And we haven't even started on "feild" yet !

What sorta lingo is that?

probably end up with a numb skull

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, olbe said:

probably end up with a numb skull

Is that better than probably end down with a numb bum

Somehow we are off the thread.  But as a beekeeper I didn't expect a post to include fathoming linguistics.  

I may be a bit left "field" here but isn't fathoming the depths of linguistics an educational exercise, after all its about online learning these days

Posted (edited)

Yes, of course.  We are no longer left, centre or right in fields or sheds much, we are in our individual bubble which one has the opportunity of learning to make greater use of electronic technology.  

My online education is increasing.  In touch with family in the UK and other parts of NZ.  Next Friday, joining a family quiz with participants in London and the Nth Is. 

Although it is fantastic and enjoyable, on a sunny balmy day having the luxury of getting out on essential business; something for which I am v grateful.  

Edited by Maggie James

3 hours ago, olbe said:

Hey Alastair was that supposed to be a fractious group or maybe a fractious grump or was it just meant to be a fractious grope ?

It was the beginning of Yesbut's nightmare.

:o >:( :D

cat.JPG.d4c6dcd97015fd7d722e74791c3e688d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I realise that there were others involved in addition to Apiculture NZ and yes, they deserve the credit too. 

So the general consensus is that this was a fluke, them all working together? 

Perhaps the levies are justified if/when they can all get together for the common beekeeping good. Or maybe this was only effective because covid-19 was such a big, global issue. Would they have any cut through if we had a pest incursion such as small hive beetle or would no one in government listen or care? 

I note that I haven't been a member of any beekeeping organisation for a number of years but have been to conference the last two. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

what’s your family in the UK saying about the virus over there ? 

Hi @frazzledfozzle  - I went to PM you but can't, & your email is not listed in your profile.  

My cousins in London are fine.  To them it is not big deal.  Several of them working from home.  As far as they are concerned the ones dying, are the ones that aren't doing what they are told.

The cousins outside of Derry are finding it difficult.  They are on a farm and the 2 mile radius that they are allowed to move in, is causing problems.  They do not have a supermarket or any other shop within 2 miles.  Fortunately for them, their son does, and he is also within the 2 mile radius of them, so when they need fresh vege they ring him and he leaves it at the door.  Outside of their 2 mile radius there are large numbers of police checks, and if you don't have a valid reason you are fined.  A lot of elderly people have died in their homes because of the 2 mile radius and this is causing a lot of anger, so the govt are going to have to look at a way around this.  They are also finding getting news from outside of their region difficult. 

• Sad 1

Thanks for the info Maggie, might be a case of the cure being worse than the disease if there’s people dying in their homes because of travel limitations.

Its hard to get an understanding of the numbers and whether the health system is under pressure.

Also wondering why we haven’t seen or heard anything from Boris Johnson at all since his discharge from hospital.

• Agree 1

Once Boris was up and walking around, he was told not to return to work for a month.

Probably he is just living quietly, getting healthy, and not much of any newsworthiness.

• Good Info 1