• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I skinned my knuckle a few weeks ago working in the sheep yards, was quite deep. Stopped the bleeding with my tee-shirt and carried on working, as you can imagine it got gross. When I got home I clean

Interesting. I suspect the main ingredient in this new product is bovine excretion. I do know from experience that bees do extremely poorly in a glasshouse environment. I cannot see how you could grow

now seems like a great time to launch a big effort, marketing Kanuka Honey. K,L,M. It is like Manuka but is actually first because it is two letters ahead of that! "Kanuka", you heard it her

Interesting site. However do you find them!!

fantastic list of honey types tho.

The owner seems to have an issue with Manuka honey....thinks its not proven to be safe for consumption.

An interesting / different slant on things.

Interesting to get it analysed to see what sort of honey it is.  

It makes out that certain honeys are the only ones to treat wounds.  Previous generations have found any type of NZ honey good to treat wounds.  My granny, and don't ask me for the recipe cos it wasn't passed down, for ulcerated wounds had a lux flakes and honey dressing that would go on the wound, and bandaged for a number of days before removing.  

And manuka wasn't available in those days.  Mainly, just good old fashioned stock standard high grade clover.

• Agree 1

Meh - it looks to me like they’ve seen an opportunity and are now trying to fit a story to it, by #######ising the science and throwing red herrings into the mix. Not an unusual business approach Unfortunately.

• Agree 2

Interesting. I suspect the main ingredient in this new product is bovine excretion. I do know from experience that bees do extremely poorly in a glasshouse environment. I cannot see how you could grow enough flowers within the glasshouse to economically produce honey . Perhaps they are feeding  them sugar syrup which would be why they are getting consistent results. 

At the last farmers market that I did before lockdown I had one lady quiz me extensively about whether my comb honey was raw honey. She took quite a lot of persuading that yes, comb honey is raw honey. I'm still not sure whether she believed me or not but  apparently it was vital that the honey be raw for the recipe she was planning to------ cook  !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, john berry said:

I suspect the main ingredient in this new product is bovine excretion.

Sounds gross.  

Yesterday my GP prescribed an anti inflammatory cream for me and it definitely is working.  It is a bovine product!

3 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Meh - it looks to me like they’ve seen an opportunity and are now trying to fit a story to it, by #######ising the science and throwing red herrings into the mix. Not an unusual business approach Unfortunately.

You are right. Some of their science is definately incorrect in at least one point, because they claim that manuka honey does not have any peroxide activity, but we know it does, in addition to MGO. Somebody called her out on that in the comments section, and yet she replied and argued the case, challenging the other person to produce studies to prove her case.

I will though at least give them some browny points for not deleting the questioning comment.

Re running hives in greenhouses, bumblebees it can work, not honeybees. I have a friend who was asked to supply hives for an experiment being run in some greenhouses. He had his doubts but the money offered was good so he drove over and took a look, he told me the greenhouses were huge so he decided to do it. The experiment was to last 8 weeks and he was required to check the hives weekly. He placed the hives then went back after the first week and found the bee numbers had halved. Second week the hives were real weak and almost no flying bees. So he replaced with new ones. Next couple of weeks same story. The bees were beating themselves to death. (No insecticides were used as part of the deal, so it wasn't that). At this point he started wishing he had never agreed to rent them hives, but felt honour bound to keep replacing the hives until the end of the 8 weeks. He told me it ended up heaps of work, ruined a lot of hives, and was a financial black hole.

Edited by Alastair
  • Good Info 2

now seems like a great time to launch a big effort, marketing Kanuka Honey.

K,L,M. It is like Manuka but is actually first because it is two letters ahead of that!

"Kanuka", you heard it here first :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Maggie, as a kid I would run around in bare feet and collect bits of glass, sharp stone fragments, and 'prickles' regularly. Mum had a tin of patent remedy but when we were out, she mixed grated Sunlight Soap with a warm slurry of Cremoata  and bandaged that on overnight to draw the object out. Gotta wonder where the idea originated for the soap ingredient for dressings. Back then we bought a cake tin of bulk honey once a year from Arataki and it was strictly rationed to us kids. I think that if I'd had honey applied to my foot back then, I'd have gone off quietly and licked it off! Same now, if only I wasn't so old and creaky. 

:3_grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, The Frasers said:

Sunlight Soap with a warm slurry of Cremoata

Sunlight soap slurries were a popular remedy.  I guess the thing with soap flakes and slurries is that they have caustic soda in them.  Honey from a beekeeper friend.  Baking soda poultices mixed with breadcrumbs, no idea of quantities etc cos was only a little nipper, were used to draw out thorns!  

Thank goodness some medical remedies have well and truly been done away with.  Had whooping cough as a seven year old, most of the year off school.  I had to hang over the kitchen stool (those type that every housewive in the 60s had so they could reach the top cupboard with all the preserves), so that my nasal passages would drain before I went to bed.  Then that was followed by a cider vinegar and honey hot toddy.  Then there were these horrendous mustard baths in steaming hot water.  I suspect that the steaming hot water was of more benefit than those gross mustard additive.  

That year, I had the most horrible school teacher - Mrs Pointon.  She used to routinely strap the guys, but not the girls.  We got hit over our knuckles with this heavy thick rule, and then she would look up our nostrils.  If we had hairs in our nostrils, we were definitely lying and deserved to be whacked over the knuckles which had to be clutched, with our fingers curled under into our palms, for the event.  Mrs Pointon lived at home with her parents and daughter, because her husband had cleared out!  Odd the next year, I had Miss Rogers as a teacher, and guess what I didn't have one day off school that year.   

Mrs Pointon used to give huge amounts of homework, and one day in front of all the class she singled me out, cos it was fairly obvious that a 7 year old would not have known how to spell cutlery or know what it was, and I must have got help from my parents.  

Edited by Maggie James
43 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Thank goodness some medical remedies have well and truly been done away with.  Had whooping cough as a seven year old, most of the year off school.  I had to hang over the kitchen stool (those type that every housewive in the 60s had so they could reach the top cupboard with all the preserves), so that my nasal passages would drain before I went to bed.  Then that was followed by a cider vinegar and honey hot toddy.  Then there were these horrendous mustard baths in steaming hot water.  I suspect that the steaming hot water was of more benefit than those gross mustard additive.  

That year, I had the most horrible school teacher - Mrs Pointon.  She used to routinely strap the guys, but not the girls.  We got hit over our knuckles with this heavy thick rule, and then she would look up our nostrils.  If we had hairs in our nostrils, we were definitely lying and deserved to be whacked over the knuckles which had to be clutched, with our fingers curled under into our palms, for the event.  Mrs Pointon lived at home with her parents and daughter, because her husband had cleared out!  Odd the next year, I had Miss Rogers as a teacher, and guess what I didn't have one day off school that year.   

Mrs Pointon used to give huge amounts of homework, and one day in front of all the class she singled me out, cos it was fairly obvious that a 7 year old would not have known how to spell cutlery or know what it was, and I must have got help from my parents.  

Interesting post, but I have no idea as to what it has to do with the OP.