Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Santa said:

If you need some more got plenty give me a call ,I just put it in those small packets because most of our members only have a couple of hives

 

 

Thank you, much appreciated! Most of what you gave me was gone by the end of the day,  but they haven't touched it since. They were thick in the willows in the valley behind my hives on Sunday, so suppose they wont be interested in vespex. Hopefully this patch of cold and wet will deal to a good few of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Philippa - I note you haven't had many posts on the forum.  Bet you didn't think that this would be such a controversial post.  Good on you for posting, and following through - very gutsy.  

l divide up my vespex into smaller containers when I get it and I store it in the beekeeping freezer. That way I only thaw a small amount for use and the rest stays good. I only use vespex or insect d

I prefer to poison wasps whenever possible but I also use top feeders as wasp traps quite successfully. When you have finished feeding the hives just leave the safety cover off and for some reason the

Posted Images

If you have problems with Wasps and don't want to use vespex or other lures, poisons etc... check out HyfeGate from Beeiq.solutions. Really works! I have them on my hives. They are not a screen or a reduced entrance. It is a tunnel that basically gives the bees a better chance to defend properly. So it's not about keeping the wasps out per se. It is all about giving them a smarter entrance and the chance to defend themselves. And again it really works for me. Lots of wasps around, but not in my hives.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@kaihoka could the amounts of rain you were getting back around Christmas have anything to do with your low wasp numbers? 

Flooding out nests etc? 

The wasps around here have been the thickest I’ve seen them for a long time, a couple beekeeper mates have seen the same thing further north into the Kaikouras.. it’s been extremely dry here this summer with Beech Dew only just re appearing on the trees, the robbing by wasps had to be seen to be believed, one arvo at a forestry site they robbed my ute worse than bees even getting inside it in big numbers, my hive tool pocket with a small amount of honey inside it was a favourite spot for them also. 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stoney said:

robbing by wasps had to be seen to be believed,

I have heard that the wasp populations in the Kaikoura area have to be seen to be believed with major wasp attacks on hives. 

 

Here in Mid Canty I am surprised how minimal the wasps have been.  Last winter it was very warm and it looked like we were shaping up for major wasp issues.  But we got horrendously cold weather Sept and Oct, and I wonder in terms of wasps if that was our saving grace.    

 

 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@kaihoka could the amounts of rain you were getting back around Christmas have anything to do with your low wasp numbers? 

Flooding out nests etc? 

The wasps around here have been the thickest I’ve seen them for a long time, a couple beekeeper mates have seen the same thing further north into the Kaikouras.. it’s been extremely dry here this summer with Beech Dew only just re appearing on the trees, the robbing by wasps had to be seen to be believed, one arvo at a forestry site they robbed my ute worse than bees even getting inside it in big numbers, my hive tool pocket with a small amount of honey inside it was a favourite spot for them also. 

I really do not know .

Dec was wet but we often have wet dec.

But since then it has been dry , for us anyway , 230 mls for the yr.

We can get that in a month.

There is not much honey dew in our bush . All our beech is hard beech and the fungus does not seem to grow so well on that species.

Maybe the wekas are getting the nests. I have heard they can do that .

Do you have wekas .?

Does anything else eat wasps ?  We have lots and lots of finches now .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. The threat to hives from wasps, especially a weak one is very real, but it is also their competition for food sources that bugs me (pun intended). Pohutukawa, rata vines, bottle brush and banksia are some that come to mind. It seems that large numbers of wasps on the flowers deter the bees - it was very evident summer 2018/19 which was a bad wasp year for us. The pohutukawas and rates were thick with wasps and hardly a bee on them, whereas this season after a cold wet spring and fewer wasps, the opposite was true. The dry summer has certainly seen their numbers grow back. 

Happily, my vespex is in transit, so hopefully I get a chance to use it - will test first to see if it will be effective.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maggie James said:

Is that evolution? A native species eating an introduced species?

 

It may not even be true , its only something people say .

Wasps have never been a problem for my hives .

I see a few hanging around the hives , but I see them being chased away .

Maybe they are a problem in some sites for bees cause they do not have a big home orchard to raid instead .

Link to post
Share on other sites

@kaihoka Any idea if DOC baited the local area this year?

I'm in town and with the Wasp Wipeout project last year had a wasp free year.....not sure if that was the reason but the project had to have helped.

There are wasps round this year. Not in big numbers round my hives, but definitely here.

On a bubble walk a couple of days ago we found a nest beside a beech tree on reserve land. Not sure how to go about getting it dealt to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Weka around here haven't had much effect on our wasp population which is bigger than the last couple of years. Between the German, European, Common, Asian, wasps of all sorts I've been feeling a bit under seige. Cleaned the Paper jobs out from the house roof that I could reach, petrolled three Common nests yesterday...

5 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

@kaihoka Any idea if DOC baited the local area this year?

I'm in town and with the Wasp Wipeout project last year had a wasp free year.....not sure if that was the reason but the project had to have helped.

There are wasps round this year. Not in big numbers round my hives, but definitely here.

On a bubble walk a couple of days ago we found a nest beside a beech tree on reserve land. Not sure how to go about getting it dealt to.

Make  your next bubble walk after dark , take a glass bottle with half a cup of petrol in it with you. Jam it in the hole. Done.

Collect the bottle next walk.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Make  your next bubble walk after dark , take a glass bottle with half a cup of petrol in it with you. Jam it in the hole. Done.

errrrr....

The bubble might have been rather stretched by the 7k bike ride first...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mummzie said:

@kaihoka Any idea if DOC baited the local area this year?

I'm in town and with the Wasp Wipeout project last year had a wasp free year.....not sure if that was the reason but the project had to have helped.

There are wasps round this year. Not in big numbers round my hives, but definitely here.

On a bubble walk a couple of days ago we found a nest beside a beech tree on reserve land. Not sure how to go about getting it dealt to.

No DOC wasp control here .

Never been a problem.

Good luck to any wasp that tries to burrow a hole in our solid clay ground .

Edited by kaihoka
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Here in Mid Canty I am surprised how minimal the wasps have been

 

The wasps have exploded in Prebbleton/Lincoln over autumn. Even worse in the valleys on the peninsular. Last  year barely any. Wish I'd got my vespex rego before the lock-down...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Good luck to any wasp that tries to burrow a hole in our solid clay ground .

Edited 7 hours ago by kaihoka

A standard spot around here is in the ground under a rotted stump...easy digging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

A standard spot around here is in the ground under a rotted stump...easy digging.

I have found nests in drybanks where tree roots have created holes .

I have tried the

Icing sugar and fly into the  evening sun

The meat and tinfoil fly into evening sun.

Even if I am sure about the direction and have looked around the area its hopeless .

Too much bush and gullies .

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mummzie said:

@kaihoka Any idea if DOC baited the local area this year?

I'm in town and with the Wasp Wipeout project last year had a wasp free year.....not sure if that was the reason but the project had to have helped.

There are wasps round this year. Not in big numbers round my hives, but definitely here.

On a bubble walk a couple of days ago we found a nest beside a beech tree on reserve land. Not sure how to go about getting it dealt to.

At the risk of getting in trouble...if I find a nest on someone else's land I ask for their permission to deal with it, which is invariably yes. If on conservation land, which quite a bit borders on ours, a quiet puff of permethrin only hurts the wasps and helps everyone else. Job done.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bighands said:

Wasps love willow dew as well so no beech but lots of willows equals lots of wasps

We do not have willows around here .

Except in a few spots that council has planted on the edge of the rd to stabilize the bank .

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...