I have large quantities of wasps feeding on bees at the entrances of my hives...and left my vespex in the fridge 6 weeks ago so is rather unappealing and can't get any more for 2 weeks☹ I have begged a small piece from a local beek which they are taking voraciously and am trying tuna mince catfood with a spray of frontline mixed in. They are taking it but not like the vespex. Does anyone have a recipe, ie best catfood plus how much frontline?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Philippa - I note you haven't had many posts on the forum.  Bet you didn't think that this would be such a controversial post.  Good on you for posting, and following through - very gutsy.  

l divide up my vespex into smaller containers when I get it and I store it in the beekeeping freezer. That way I only thaw a small amount for use and the rest stays good. I only use vespex or insect d

I prefer to poison wasps whenever possible but I also use top feeders as wasp traps quite successfully. When you have finished feeding the hives just leave the safety cover off and for some reason the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Philippa Thomas said:

Thanks...I will.certainly divide it up and freeze when it comes. I had a tin of catfood there and am trying 1 drop of frontline per tablespoon as per a reddit user and they are taking it so here's hoping! Dont want them to get a tummy ache before they reach home!

as I understand it adult wasps (or bees) don't consume much protein, the protein is for brood to help grow biomass in baby wasps/bees. The idea with all the protein based poisons for wasps is to feed poison to developing brood and they are quite careful about what they feed to their young.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

as I understand it adult wasps (or bees) don't consume much protein, the protein is for brood to help grow biomass in baby wasps/bees. The idea with all the protein based poisons for wasps is to feed poison to developing brood and they are quite careful about what they feed to their young.

I'm not sure if that works out in practice though, whenever I feed Vespex and the wasps take the bait there is an almost immediate reduction in wasp numbers  - even  a big drop by the next day.  Is that your experience with it though?

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, Philippa Thomas said:

I have large quantities of wasps feeding on bees at the entrances of my hives...and left my vespex in the fridge 6 weeks ago so is rather unappealing and can't get any more for 2 weeks☹ I have begged a small piece from a local beek which they are taking voraciously and am trying tuna mince catfood with a spray of frontline mixed in. They are taking it but not like the vespex. Does anyone have a recipe, ie best catfood plus how much frontline?

bit sketch to be asking for advice on how to break the law on this forum

maybe @Grant and others are ok with this site being a location for such advice though

not sure how i view those choosing to advise on how to break the law...

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 1
15 hours ago, CraBee said:

I'm not sure if that works out in practice though, whenever I feed Vespex and the wasps take the bait there is an almost immediate reduction in wasp numbers  - even  a big drop by the next day.  Is that your experience with it though?

I never used vespex at home unable to say what happened 24hrs later

On 9/04/2020 at 2:03 PM, Philippa Thomas said:

See this hobbyist bee club website for a fipronil recipe http://www.waikatobeekeepers.org.nz/bee-information/pests-and-diseases/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Dissapointed in some people.

However Philippa I'm going to give you a totally legal way to deal to a lot of your wasps. Won't kill the nest but will relieve pressure on your bees till you can get some more vespex.

Get a wide and shallow bowl. Put it where the wasps are foraging. Put water in it and a good squirt of dishwash liquid. Hang a stick over it and dangle a string off the stick with a bit of meat or fish tied on, the bait should be just a hand breadth or so above the water.

Wasps are unafraid of water. Unlike bees, wasps can land in water, and re launch themselves straight back out of it. So while they are flitting around the bait a good number will land in the water. What they didn't know is the dishwash liquid breaks the surface tension and they cannot launch out of it and they drown.

Just use unscented dishwash liquid if possible.

Such a trap is far more effective than the commercially available traps or the home made traps using a coke bottle or similar, and can kill hundreds of wasps daily.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Expected better from you Dennis. 

Label instructions on pesticde packs are law. Using outside the instructions is breaking the law.

Sure, lots of people do it. But it's like breaking the speed limit. Lots of people do that too. But it's still against the law, and they can still be prosecuted if need be.

The issue I have with off label use of pesticides to kill wasps is the number of beehives that are killed or damaged by idiots making home brews.

A site of mine for several years did no good and gave me no honey, bees were always sickly. Then another beekeeper told me he had discovered someone using frontline and sugar to kill wasps and had spoken to her about it, he had undertaken to her to use vespex to deal with her wasp issue so she would cease doing it. My site has since comne right.

Most people here will go yes I'm not like that I'll just use meat. But some people including non beekeeper followers will throw in a bit of sugar to get things moving.

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

See this hobbyist bee club website for a fipronil recipe http://www.waikatobeekeepers.org.nz/bee-information/pests-and-diseases/

Maggie I saw you have a rant the other day about our health minister breaking the lock down spirit by driving 2 km's to his mountain bike track. 

I know exactly why he did it. He thought < I am the health minister, I know this will be OK cos I know better than everyone else> so he did it. Same issue with beekeepers flouting the law that was actually put there to protect beekeepers among others, but some beekeepers think they are just so smart the law doesn't need to apply to them.

What happened to the health minister? Been demoted.

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have not broken the law.  The Health Minister broke the law on a number of occasions at the risk of New Zealanders' health and lives.  Therefore he should be demoted; and it appears this is something both Jacinda and Simon Bridges agree on.  

Edited by Maggie James

The people recommending and linking illegal recipes are recommending breaking the law. 

The law is there for good reason, even though some folks think they are above it.

If anyone from the Waikato Beekeepers Club is reading, tell your IT guy to re think what they are publishing.

• Agree 1

Despite being blonde my brain would never induce me to include sugar with any wasp reduction  recipe...I am pleased to advise that the small amount of vespex that I was given by a neighbouring beek was demolished by the wasps in question and today they were almost non-existent ?so very much what you described CraBee. Just hope it was more than one nest as last year I found 40 over about 5 hectares.

• Like 3

That's the beauty of vespex.

Most satisfying success I had with it was a site being absolutely overun by a massive number of wasps. Came back with vespex and the wasps were so thick that just while I was holding the tub getting ready to put some out, thyere were so many wasps diving in and out of it I was nearly scared to hold it.

Put some vespex out and came back for a look 3 days later, not a wasp. Nice to see some rather whipped looking bees now suddenly able to come and go with no harassment, they were probably still getting used to it. ?

• Like 4