This is a dag...dry protein powder...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steppler has his bees over many farms over spring, In Miami Manitoba. His bees just got out of winter shed  Ian puts them in big sites near home sites, and there he quickly assesses them and

It is a powdered supplement like FeedBee or such. It is quite common overseas to open feed this and even syrup.   Real dumb idea to open feed bees.  

Here Yes, over there it works ok. A completely different set of parameters 

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It is a powdered supplement like FeedBee or such.

It is quite common overseas to open feed this and even syrup.  

Real dumb idea to open feed bees.

Why has the afbpmp put in place a notice that it illegal to open feed bees seeing as the aim is to get rid of AFB in N.Z. Surely you would think they would have something in place.

Just now, Bighands said:

Why has the afbpmp put in place a notice that it illegal to open feed bees seeing as the aim is to get rid of AFB in N.Z. Surely you would think they would have something in place.

Yes I know i forgot to place the word" not "after afbpmp

• Agree 1
On 1/04/2020 at 3:39 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

This guy keeps bees on his family farm of about 6000 Ha/acres not sure which one, he open feeds sites  in the middle of the property and is more careful with sites nearer the boundary.

Steppler has his bees over many farms over spring, In Miami Manitoba.

His bees just got out of winter shed 

Ian puts them in big sites near home sites, and there he quickly assesses them and open feeds protein. Hence heaps of bee poop. First flights after 5 months in shed. 

Once bees are ready they get moved again to spring\summer sites.

Well worth visiting his YouTube blog.

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 2
3 hours ago, BSB said:

We used to open feed hives in Alberta, 2 or 3 44 gallon drums per yard, half full of hay half full of syrup. It was crazy!

When PSA first hit the Kiwifruit, to stop people entering orchards, it was suggested to me (by a non beekeeper)that we could just dump all the hives that come into the area at pollination time on the roadsides, spread throughout the area in big groups.And use open troughs to feed them all.

Even though it was a stupid idea I so wanted to to say "yeah lets do that",(just to see the carnage) but sanity prevailed, and we suggested are far better way.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

we suggested are far better way.

what was the better way? Some avocado growers may be interested.

Unrelated to that, & prior to Covid19, I always smile that on the road into Maramarua there are stern signs about PSA saying not to enter kiwifruit orchards, then there is a sign from the kiwfruit grower running public tours in his kiwifruit orchard! 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, ChrisM said:

what was the better way? Some avocado growers may be interested.

We suggested that the orchards, trim all hedging and place hives on dump sites/loadout pads and not space bees out around orchards, if we had to then they needed all shelter trimmed so not to pick up any leaf material when trucks/utes drive by. Most were happy to do that. Beeks feed their own hives as needed. No loss of pollination.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

We suggested that the orchards, trim all hedging and place hives on dump sites/loadout pads and not space bees out around orchards, if we had to then they needed all shelter trimmed so not to pick up any leaf material when trucks/utes drive by. Most were happy to do that. Beeks feed their own hives as needed. No loss of pollination.

ah I see. So a better way to feed them and not a better way to keep people out.. I got confused.

17 hours ago, ChrisM said:

ah I see. So a better way to feed them and not a better way to keep people out.. I got confused.

A bit of both really, we didn't want to see any beekeepers lose contracts and also orchardist's losing pollination, but we knew we could enter orchards with some forward planning, and with hygiene controls it was business as usual.