tommy dave

Apiary diary April 2020

We laugh about Bee stings .... and those of  us that are lucky can take a few, quite a few and come away cursing and swearing, but alive. But, to coin a phrase,,,,,

Make no Mistake .....

The bees are not to be messed with.

We had a young fellah on two years ago who had an allergic reaction in the autumn after a summer on the bees.

It was scary.

He became morose and comatose, which was most unlike him .... and then ended up in the back of an ambulance for a night out in town  on Adrenalin at the hospital. 

A few days later he commented that Adrenalin wasn't really his drug of choice.

He is now a very  competent welder.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We laugh about Bee stings .... and those of  us that are lucky can take a few, quite a few and come away cursing and swearing, but alive. But, to coin a phrase,,,,,

Make no Mistake .....

The bees are not to be messed with.

We had a young fellah on two years ago who had an allergic reaction in the autumn after a summer on the bees.

It was scary.

He became morose and comatose, which was most unlike him .... and then ended up in the back of an ambulance for a night out in town  on Adrenalin at the hospital. 

A few days later he commented that Adrenalin wasn't really his drug of choice.

He is now a very  competent welder.

The bees aren't for everyone

• Agree 1

We've got a good welder, yet when he sends the invoices he thinks he's an investment banker...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, CraBee said:

We've got a good welder, yet when he sends the invoices he thinks he's an investment banker...

how much are they charging?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I was gonna say that .... The Boy did good .....

The reason the price of non Manuka  honey needs to go up is so we can pay young fellows wages that make the profession an attraction ..... otherwise we is all gonna end up  in wheel chairs looking after 2000 hives so we have something to put on our funeral pyre when the time comes.

Serious.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Wait until you have to pay a fitter turner.

A welder can build a large structure in a few hours and a turner can machine a very small component in the same amount of time. Most customers don't mind paying for a structure you can park a car under, because they can see something of substantial size but for the same price I can machine something you can hold in your hand. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Russ said:

Wait until you have to pay a fitter turner.

A welder can build a large structure in a few hours and a turner can machine a very small component in the same amount of time. Most customers don't mind paying for a structure you can park a car under, because they can see something of substantial size but for the same price I can machine something you can hold in your hand. 

o yeah.

i follow a machinist on utube and its very good to see the amount of work that goes into making good quality parts.

Out there in the hot sun

feeling like a someone

riding with a shotgun

and not a grumpy stag in sight

1BDB6A01-4B7D-4D7F-A8CF-D58E9C79D482.jpeg

• Like 2

On 15/04/2020 at 7:11 AM, Gino de Graaf said:

Well Malcolm must like pain. I don't like being stung, sometimes it's just a bother, then others hurt like heck. Either way, not enjoyable. I don't employ, but anyone helping gets the kit. 

Theres a difference between an accidental sting when you lift a a frame and a bee stings you in defence.

You can generally flick the sting out before the poison sack ruptures.

An aggressive piss off sting can be pretty bad .

• Agree 3

This a.m. in Leeston, 11 mm of fabulous rain.  5 mm of it falling in the last hour

20 degrees forecast for this afternoon.  So it's going to be a very nice day. 

Newsflash: A plane flew over Leeston yesterday and left a jet trail

• Like 2

Over here we have days with over 20C, then after couple mornings with frost and again.. Madness.. Mana ash isn't scorched totally, I think about half left and offer nectar and pollen. Flow visible in the hives.. Seems will have some spring honey to exctract but with such berserk weather no one can tell with certainty..  I am hoping we are done with frosts, also that black locust isn't hit hard - time will tell.. I am in process of placing qe, adding foundations.. Overall, I must not to be totally unsatisfied. 59 colonies at the moment, 3 of them with chalk brood, 3-5 won't be ready for black locust ( bad queens, slow buildup), the rest seems fine. Lost one colony in December and one shook out recently - lost queen and laying workers.. Swarming season started.. found in couple qcs, I reshuffled them and gave them time to rethink, if intention still exist they will be dealt ( light split or removing queen, etc..). Some already spread at 12 frames with brood, but some stay at 6  and don't want to go further ( these are ones which I don't like, these usually want to swarm endlessly)..

• Like 3

is there another one, just to the right

• Like 2

23  Species.....

stick_insect_thumbnail.jpg
WWW.LANDCARERESEARCH.CO.NZ

Phasmatodea and Molecular Systematics

• Like 3

23 (probably more) in NZ, 3,500 (probably more), in the world.

8 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Found this critter. Isn't it cool.

DSC_0548_copy_774x1376.jpg

Do you get the bright green ones too ?

A lot of them can change colour to match the surroundings, ie they can be green or brown

• Thanks 1

I know the feeling .

I've become real lazy ..... lazing in bed until 8.30 with the Missus , mooching over to the shed at 10.00am ..... sweeping the floor .....  lazy lunch on the verandah ...... polish some honey drums in the arvo and then watch the latest news where I'm gonna be given $1500 ..... 

Why the heck would I want to go back to work ...?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Well James, check your email. AFB fees are in.

We are up 250 on last year. That helicopter money will go back around.

Another one bites the sawdust. Rotten palowena.   Paulonia

IMG-20200423-WA0005_copy_1152x648.jpeg

Edited by yesbut
Pedantia
  • Sad 1

Decided after a month in lockdown maybe I should actually check the bees. Seeing as when I'm really busy I check them more often. It was good to have a wee looksie. Took strips out, a week or so late.
Plenty of stores in the main hives, nucs needed a feed which is to be expected. Surprisingly. (well for me anyway) 2 hives are having a brood break. (Or where queenless but I dought that) I found it Interesting as since I've had bees they have never had a break. Maybe this year as I actually started to winter them down earlier, and left a lot more honey for them they are decided they needed a break.

I'll have a look in a month or so If the weather isn't too bad...

Up at 5am Done two 20x sites yesterday after spreading 6m3 of 100mm up one track in the ruts, hives were mainly strong, a few here and there on a brood break and not looking absolutely pumping so gave them a megabee hivealive patty and fed hivealive aswell to my 2 DBs, had 2 from 40 queen less/drone later, so far not too bad on the losses.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

How’s the varroa levels @Maru Hoani? I think you mentioned that you hadn’t treated for a while. 

5 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

How’s the varroa levels @Maru Hoani? I think you mentioned that you hadn’t treated for a while. 

My worst ones are done, lucky I'm on my third treatment otherwise be losses left right and center 

• Like 2