tommy dave

Apiary diary April 2020

I thought i'd be far too late to get in early enough to start the new month!

Today's lunch-time activity will be rendering a bucket full of wax cappings, and pulling a couple of honey supers off the garden hive. This evening I'll extract a few boxes of honey with the trusty cappings fork and two frame plastic extractor.

Ten days since i last ventured into a supermarket. Will try not to go more than twice during april.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Ten days since i last ventured into a supermarket. Will try not to go more than twice during april.

I ran out of elastoplast yesterday and stock was urgently needed.  One man had cut the backside out of a pair his Jockey's, with the elastic securing the "mask" firmly round his head.  I couldn't stop laughing, and normally I would have told him he looked like a dick, but when you have a table runner with embroidered feathers, round your face, one is not in a position to make such a comment.  A number of people had polar fleece neck warmers as their mask.  But i would have to query this as sensible, because not only is polar fleece synthetic, it attracts particals.  I tried for six weeks prior to lock down to get a mask - never mind.  My linen table runner came home and was promptly given a hot wash.  

Hoping to cage a few queens today.  The hives in the grafting yard are going into winter very well, with lots of pollen still coming in.  Hopefully we are in for a warm April.  The larger colonies still have plenty of drones, and that is generally a sign at this time of the year that we are in for a good spell.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just went out to the garage to get my beekeeping gear sorted an disturbed a possum . He made a run for it and crawled into the roller door . Unfortunately for him he left his tail hanging out!

bit of fur added to the bag and a feed for one of the dogs . Just hav to get the possum smell off my hands now . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jas said:

Just went out to the garage to get my beekeeping gear sorted an disturbed a possum . He made a run for it and crawled into the roller door . Unfortunately for him he left his tail hanging out!

bit of fur added to the bag and a feed for one of the dogs . Just hav to get the possum smell off my hands now . 

do you pluck them warm?

too soon? https://www.dogwithtwotails.co.nz/news/2020/3/30/covid-18plus?fbclid=IwAR1kggBQR7I9KCPQvLYnT_bKiPYz9gKN-jM7yZWi5UfcGPqVc-Foq-bx5UI

On 30/03/2020 at 10:11 AM, DuncanCook said:

2 hours on the operating table and it looks as though I will get to keep the 2 fingers they initially thought I would lose

Photos or it didn't happen. 🙂

Apparently the pictures that air ambulance crew took with Ipad are circulating all around local St John but I haven't managed to see them yet or get a copy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

I ran out of elastoplast yesterday and stock was urgently needed.  One man had cut the backside out of a pair his Jockey's, with the elastic securing the "mask" firmly round his head.  I couldn't stop laughing, and normally I would have told him he looked like a dick, but when you have a table runner with embroidered feathers, round your face, one is not in a position to make such a comment.  A number of people had polar fleece neck warmers as their mask.  But i would have to query this as sensible, because not only is polar fleece synthetic, it attracts particals.  I tried for six weeks prior to lock down to get a mask - never mind.  My linen table runner came home and was promptly given a hot wash.  

Hoping to cage a few queens today.  The hives in the grafting yard are going into winter very well, with lots of pollen still coming in.  Hopefully we are in for a warm April.  The larger colonies still have plenty of drones, and that is generally a sign at this time of the year that we are in for a good spell.  

It seems there are a lot of half bras around at the moment, people cut them to use as makeshift masks but only use the left cup for fear of looking a right tit!

Edited by DuncanCook
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

It seems there are a lot of half bras around at the moment, people cut them to use as makeshift masks but only use the left cup for fear of looking a right tit!

I did think about a bra cup, but thought this might be just a bit too much info for the locals.  

Whoops! That's rather an ambiguous sentence, and five minutes later I can't edit it!

22 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:
On 30/03/2020 at 10:11 AM, DuncanCook said:

2 hours on the operating table and it looks as though I will get to keep the 2 fingers they initially thought I would lose

Obviously not your typing fingers that were damaged.

Left hand fortunately, difficult to use ctrl  and shift etc. but otherwise I am pretty much limited to tv, computer and reading.

and contemplating all the things I should be doing

now i am more or less off the pain killers it is starting to get very frustrating

45 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Loving the hiab, lifted these no 1 strainers in withought even putting the legs down.

Gonna be my new servicing spot just gotta etch and bolt the beam for my 4.5t ramps

20200401_111001.jpg

ever home should have one ,so many uses.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Loving the hiab, lifted these no 1 strainers in withought even putting the legs down.

Gonna be my new servicing spot just gotta etch and bolt the beam for my 4.5t ramps

20200401_111001.jpg

Glad to see its serving you well Maru. Crane is definitely handy. I used it to lift a piano into my house.

• Thanks 1

Hey @Maru Hoani  how about a piccie of the whole thing ? On the show your truck thread of course..

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, MackAp said:

I used it to lift a piano into my house.

Private use adjustment in accounts?😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

2F8AE1FF-FDCE-4C33-A8D6-70057CCCDE8A.jpeg

Old mate from Kirwee Bees messaged me this evening. Asked if I'd been moving bees around the district as the bees had gone berserk and were robbing anything and every thing.

I assured him that I had spent the last two weeks working on my infrastructure project .... but at smoko this afternoon I received a call from a cow cocky saying he couldn't get into his pump house on account of the bees.

Could I come and sort it ?

Seeing as I hadn't been out of the yard for almost three weeks I took the opportunity and went for a look see.

I parked up on the road side and was immediately taken by the amount of bee activity on the road side ..... a bit like when you stop the truck for a cup of tea on the way home with a load of honey , and all the bees in the boxes mill around the truck and get left behind  .....

The bees were hitting the transformer by the pump shed which was just twenty metres into the paddock. Manically hitting it with no regard for life or limb.

I know the bees are on a major robbing spree at the moment.  We have two hundred up on the bush behind the the honey shed.  They are getting shifted out tomorrow.

Maybe the transformer has something sweet in it ...?

Edited by jamesc
  • Confused 3

A dying spring swarm. 

• Agree 1

Tutin Tests:

Our club has had two fails on 5x composite tests this season. We are getting retesting done that shows so far the Tutin was there but not enough to be a fail for individual samples. But in comparison to previous years, it seems clear that this year is a Tutin year. Zero for urban Tauranga, Heaps for Rotorua-Tarawera, Looks like also heaps for Taupo/Turangi. Not sure further afield, but Matata has prior form when it comes to Tut.

Do you agree or is it just some localised unlucky cases?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Tutin Tests:

Our club has had two fails on 5x composite tests this season. We are getting retesting done that shows so far the Tutin was there but not enough to be a fail for individual samples. But in comparison to previous years, it seems clear that this year is a Tutin year. Zero for urban Tauranga, Heaps for Rotorua-Tarawera, Looks like also heaps for Taupo/Turangi. Not sure further afield, but Matata has prior form when it comes to Tut.

Do you agree or is it just some localised unlucky cases?

Rotorua - Tarawera always been bad for tutin,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Rotorua - Tarawera always been bad for tutin,

Tutu just loves pumicey ashy riverbed/banks

I have never seen so many vine hoppers as this yr .

I check the tutin regularly but have not seem them or bees on it .

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Maybe they have read the MPI info

Or the bees could be just sticking to their bubble (colony).

Edited by Maggie James

54 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

The plant is Tutu

Had the lowest tests for a number of years for all of our drums (20T)  until the last harvest in March which came in just over the limit.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

The plant is Tutu

Isnt tutin the sap that causes the problem .

So I was looking for signs of the sap .