Maru Hoani

Honey prices going back up a bit

I'm thinking that honeys that supposedly have curative properties may do well at this time.

I base that on my own sales, my bush honey which has a label that makes it look like a wild, natural type product, has been majorly outselling the other honeys on the shelf according to the retailers. But go back a month and more and it was just level pegging. A retailer told me it's especially going to Asians and he has seen people walking out with up to 4 jars at a time.

Although the current financial climate is bad generally, it could be good times for products seen as healthy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also, many have stock piled. So it's possible that stocks get low, but slow return shopperz.

• Agree 1

Yes that's a worry. We'll see.

19 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yes that's a worry. We'll see.

Don't worry too much! You have probably done a lot better than me selling your honey...

On 29/03/2020 at 3:57 PM, Alastair said:

I noticed the slow downward trend i was seeing in the local supermarket came to an end maybe a couple of months ago, and since then prices are up a tad for most brands.

My own honey has sold like hotcakes in the frenzy leading up to the shut down, I'm just hoping people actually eat it, so there will still be some customers on the other side.

which types are selling the best up there ?

Kevin I can't answer that, me, I only have one type, bush honey, so not able to compare with my own numbers.

But i eyeball the honey section each time I'm in a supermarket, and noticed the clover seems to have plenty in stock where the other types have empty spaces on the shelves.

My thought on that is that clover is percieved as a run of the mill honey while some other types are percieved as having health benefits. That's my theory, could be totally wrong though.

At this time, if you look at Facebook or other internet sources there is a lot of advice being bandied around about eat this or eat that, cos it will supposedly boost your immune system, or whatever. Probably nearly all this information is bogus, however there is a definate public interest in trying to eat healthy stuff.

14 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Kevin I can't answer that, me, I only have one type, bush honey, so not able to compare with my own numbers.

But i eyeball the honey section each time I'm in a supermarket, and noticed the clover seems to have plenty in stock where the other types have empty spaces on the shelves.

My thought on that is that clover is percieved as a run of the mill honey while some other types are percieved as having health benefits. That's my theory, could be totally wrong though.

At this time, if you look at Facebook or other internet sources there is a lot of advice being bandied around about eat this or eat that, cos it will supposedly boost your immune system, or whatever. Probably nearly all this information is bogus, however there is a definate public interest in trying to eat healthy stuff.

Bogus as. What you consume might have an affect if your a terrible choser if food. 

• Like 1

Alistair Where is your honey sold? I thought only supermarkets can sell food now? The local side of the Rd orchards around here have pulled their signs in a couple were selling clover honey from Otago. 

I’m not on FB but heard of a local selling boxes of vege pretty well

23 hours ago, Bron said:

I’m a retired home baker, I was hoping to get some flour cos I actually know how to use it. Apparently there’s still none to be had in our fair city... not that I’m allowed out! Daley in beast mode is scary!

I understand Bron, 3 adult sons living at home told us we are over 60 so not allowed out.  Only they are doing the shopping.  All good I always keep a good pantry and the preserving jars are all full.  But I am more than happy to let them take control with the shopping.  Enjoy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

I understand Bron, 3 adult sons living at home told us we are over 60 so not allowed out.  Only they are doing the shopping.  All good I always keep a good pantry and the preserving jars are all full.  But I am more than happy to let them take control with the shopping.  Enjoy

They can still bring it home though

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

They can still bring it home though

They have a plan.  Shed is not in use so goes the shopping  for 3 days,  if it can be washed with soap and water it will be, they have set out protocols for washing closes self and everything when they come back in the house.  Hubby has health issues, their aim keep their father alive.  When the son gets to the house clothes off and into the open washing machine the he into the shower. that is after gloves and mask off at the shed and hands washed in soap and water there first.  Thankfully they are dead serious about it.  They know my story from when I was nursing and on night duty and had my first case of norovirus and how virulent that was.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Bogus as. What you consume might have an affect if your a terrible choser if food. 

Agreed Gino, but people are gullible. I used to think thgat the travelleing snake oil salesmen that worked shows in the USA a century ago showed how dum people were then, but they are just as dum now.

All the same, eating healthy, or not eating healthy, can be pretty important.

48 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Alistair Where is your honey sold? I thought only supermarkets can sell food now? 

I haven't been able to crack the supermarket level yet. Which may not be a bad thing because I am too small to guarantee ongoing supply. My sellers are dairies, markets, hobby beekeepers who sell more than they produce, a florist, and some vege markets. I am sure most of them are now closed down but I think one of the vege places is open.  

BTW for small level sales a florist is a good option. Being a florist is quite stressful because the shelf life is very short and a bad buying decision, or just plain bad luck, can mean they chuck out a lot of flowers and cost them a lot of money. But honey with it's long shelf life, if attractively packaged, looks good on the shelf, the florist can put it there and forget about it, and people see it and buy it. Easy money for the florist.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Can any of your family grab a sheep , sit it on its bum , then slit its throat  hang it up and skin it .?

I'm too much of a townie to slit it's throat. Husbands even worse than me. He can't even look at the pigs or sheep while I butcher them. 

Once it's dead im all good to hang and butcher it though. 

Looks like the sheep will be off the hook 😂🤣 for a while 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, nikki watts said:

I'm too much of a townie to slit it's throat. Husbands even worse than me. He can't even look at the pigs or sheep while I butcher them. 

Once it's dead im all good to hang and butcher it though. 

Looks like the sheep will be off the hook 😂🤣 for a while

My husband is hopeless at killing things .

But he will help me butcher it once its on the hook .

it takes quite a bit of strength to pull the skin off a sheep on a hook .

He is very good a sharpening knives. Really sharp knives make such a difference .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Sorted my mutton shortage

20200324_143323.jpg

honey roasted lamb

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Alastair said:

we have sold more bush this last few weeks than any other honey, our bush has a mix of manuka, kanuka and kamahe to 53% the rest bits of every thing, taste really nice

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1